Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

11 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Maybe Bournemouth just defended well today, but I felt like Elmo’s crosses were very predictable. They always come from deep and tended to be aimed into the same area each time, and after the first couple, I felt like Bournemouth worked out how to defend them over and over.

Like others, I’d like to see Guilbert replace Elmo, just to see how we play with a younger, faster player that seems to have a better passing ability. 

If only our players knew where they land too! Send them the memo mate. :)

Elmo was our best rated player on Whoscored yesterday. I know stats don't tell the whole story, but least he's doing the basics right. He's getting on now though and the pace of the Prem is catching up to him especially in the final 15mins.

Edited by The Other Mat

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

? Not seen anyone say Elmo was "shit" ? 

Unless your just posting for effect ?

I read too many posts from morons on FB and it filters through

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Haha 1

Elmo isn’t a bad player. He’s mr consistent and probably the ultimate pro. 

I do find the Guilbert situation odd though. He played the entire pre season and looked very good so I can only assume that the coaching team are worried about him defensively to the point they’re unwilling to just throw him in to a league match.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I read too many posts from morons on FB and it filters through

I don't even bother with most fb groups, if they are too lazy to sign up and register on a board then their opinions are most likely equally as lazy.

39 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

People on here just want to see Guilbert because he is "new".

Elmo could play his best game of his career and people would still ask for Guilbert.

I thought Elmo looked very good once again yesterday. Linking up well with Trez and putting in some decent crosses, defensively solid.

If the team isnt clicking and playing as a unit in the style and formation we intend to use, then something needs to change.

Our lack of pace predominantly down the left is making us predictable and easy to nullify.

Neither elmo or taylor have defensively put a foot wrong, the lack of support going forwards means we are dropping deeper and inviting pressure and having to work twice as hard. Our speedy players after 65 minutes are then exhausted and we have no subs who I would consider game changers or impact subs.

For what ever reasons, our full backs are not releasing the ball quicker, driving the play forwards to relieve pressure.

I wouldnt be upset having gilbert in front of elmo and trez on the left as trez offers more than el ghazi,to make up for the lack of threat down the left and to add drive and solidity down the right.

Leaving el ghazi as an impact sub, however we also need CH dead ball skills as we were wasteful and poor from both corners and free kicks.

We dont have strength of depth so having 2 rb on the pitch is not ideal and probably swapping el ghazi for CH has less impact on the rest of the team while adding more attacking options.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brummybloke said:

If the team isnt clicking and playing as a unit in the style and formation we intend to use, then something needs to change.

Our lack of pace predominantly down the left is making us predictable and easy to nullify.

Neither elmo or taylor have defensively put a foot wrong, the lack of support going forwards means we are dropping deeper and inviting pressure and having to work twice as hard. Our speedy players after 65 minutes are then exhausted and we have no subs who I would consider game changers or impact subs.

For what ever reasons, our full backs are not releasing the ball quicker, driving the play forwards to relieve pressure.

I wouldnt be upset having gilbert in front of elmo and trez on the left as trez offers more than el ghazi,to make up for the lack of threat down the left and to add drive and solidity down the right.

Leaving el ghazi as an impact sub, however we also need CH dead ball skills as we were wasteful and poor from both corners and free kicks.

We dont have strength of depth so having 2 rb on the pitch is not ideal and probably swapping el ghazi for CH has less impact on the rest of the team while adding more attacking options.

People are putting Elmo and Taylor together as not being able to get forward. That is just completely wrong. Elmo is different from Taylor. 

And there's absolutely no evidence that Guilbert was better at attacking than Elmo. Pre-season against Barnsley/Wallsall is not evidence. Against Leipzig he was lively, but showed his defiances aswell. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

People on here just want to see Guilbert because he is "new".

He's another beneficiary of the old "the less you play, the better you are" school of thought. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

People are putting Elmo and Taylor together as not being able to get forward. That is just completely wrong. Elmo is different from Taylor. 

And there's absolutely no evidence that Guilbert was better at attacking than Elmo. Pre-season against Barnsley/Wallsall is not evidence. Against Leipzig he was lively, but showed his defiances aswell. 

The speed in which BOTH fullbacks release the ball forwards is an issue.

As I already said, neither have done much if any wrong defensively however their lack of speed impacts the entire team.

Elmo less than taylor which is why I suggested swapping trez for gilbert.

Slow build up means the other team are more likely to press. If they press, we are more likely to make mistakes.

Sometimes a slow build up is required but doing it the majority of the time is far more effort and work because the other team have time to nullify.

Defend from the front is what we used to be good at, with 1 player isolated it's never going to happen so we either accept we are going to be pressed back in pretty much every game or we change things around which involves either formation or players or both.

Bearing in mind Smith has a set formation it only leaves a change in player to get the best from his system.

• Like 2

Over two games we've conceded five goals and scored one, something's not right and we can't continue in that fashion, if it means having to drop Elmohamady and Taylor to fix it, then so be it.

17 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

The speed in which BOTH fullbacks release the ball forwards is an issue.

As I already said, neither have done much if any wrong defensively however their lack of speed impacts the entire team.

Elmo less than taylor which is why I suggested swapping trez for gilbert.

Slow build up means the other team are more likely to press. If they press, we are more likely to make mistakes.

Sometimes a slow build up is required but doing it the majority of the time is far more effort and work because the other team have time to nullify.

Defend from the front is what we used to be good at, with 1 player isolated it's never going to happen so we either accept we are going to be pressed back in pretty much every game or we change things around which involves either formation or players or both.

Bearing in mind Smith has a set formation it only leaves a change in player to get the best from his system.

I think you are on the right lines

The full backs are appearing to do nothing wrong, but are equally not doing much right......In the top teams they are the catalyst of success......Trent Arnold- Robertson- Walker etc etc....we are not there we know that, but its essential we have quality there.

We had Gidman, Williams,Gibson & Swain.......all players that could hurt teams.......Gidman and Gibson ended up at Man U.....I rest my case.

These positions are essential to progression, not a fill in for the numbers.....we are questioning right now some of our better players, when in fact they need support....our fullbacks to date are short changing us.

I am not banging the drum for Alan Hutton.....but that goal should be happening with our current lot.....at least he had the confidence, just not the defensive ability.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He's another beneficiary of the old "the less you play, the better you are" school of thought. 

Or people are basing their opinions on the fact he was one of the best fullbacks in France last year, and that he was one of our best players in pre-season and therefore they’d like to see him?

• Like 3

The clamouring for Guilbert is weird to me. Elmo has been one of our best players since he came back into the team and hasn't put a foot wrong this season. If Guilbert was a starting PL quality RB why would he sign for us (a mid table Championship team at the time), amidst no competition, and once we managed to sign this quality of player, why would we subsequently loan him back to France for another 6 months?

Maybe he's simply not as good as we hope, and while is capable of being a backup (or even starter should we get relegated), he's just not ready for this league yet? I could understand people clamouring for us to play him if Elmo was doing terribly, but again, he's been one of our better players since coming into the team last season and that has continued into this one. Perhaps Guilbert will benefit from being a backup and getting the odd game here and there for his 1st season in England in arguably the toughest league in the world, and as long as Elmo continues playing well I don't see the problem with that

9 hours ago, useless said:

Over two games we've conceded five goals and scored one, something's not right and we can't continue in that fashion, if it means having to drop Elmohamady and Taylor to fix it, then so be it.

Both goals last game had absolutely nothing to do with the fullbacks. Elmo put some wonderful crosses in that people should've done much better with

• Like 1

22 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I don't even bother with most fb groups, if they are too lazy to sign up and register on a board then their opinions are most likely equally as lazy.

I left the Aston Villa Facebook page because I didn't want to admit that many morons supported the same club as me. On here I can pretend that all Villa supporters are intelligent and well spoken 😁

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â