Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've not hidden my admiration for him as a key contributor in our end of season run. If Hutton hadn't got injured I really doubt we would've made the playoffs

Probably the only question mark I had over Smith was how he continued to start Hutton over Elmo. But then I guess watching them in training day In day out, maybe Hutton seemed a better choice.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Anyone could have signed the players that Bruce did, he hardly brought in any hidden gems, they were all either some of the best rated Championship players at the time of signing, highly rated youngsters from top four Premier league sides, or players like Snodgrass, Whelan and Terry that pretty much no other championship could dream of signing. The transfer activity whilst he was here, has led to the situation we find ourselves in now, whereby we need to practically buy a new squad.

Yeah like El Ghazi I remember how every club in the country was after him ;)

15 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah like El Ghazi I remember how every club in the country was after him ;)

In fairness, elsewhere on this site useless has posted an article that linked us with a move for El Ghazi back in 2016 - under RDM.

Now who knows who suggests what signings, did the manager spot him, was he recommended by an agent etc. But factoring in the Kalinic deal that went through three years after we first tried, with basically no senior management still at the club from the time of that first attempt, it does suggest that there’s some sort of portfolio of potential targets that is kept on file, looked at by the management team and finalised and approved by the necessary people.

Anyway, nice goal Elmo. 

The same El Ghazi, that was a wonder kid at Ajax, has played Champions League football, has played for the Dutch national team, and was linked with a big money move to Liverpool a couple of seasons ago. Hardly an unknown, I was amazed by the lack of approval his loan to us seemed to gather from the fanbase, and then of course Bruce didn't even bother to use him, meaning Smith had to arrange games behind closed doors just to get him some match fitness.

Did Bruce spot El Ghazi and McGinn etc? That's like saying Pearson spotted Mahrez and Ranieri responsible for Kante when the majority of credit should go to the amazing scouts Leicester had

Obviously Bruce and Elmo connection apparent and Whelan was a canny move. Hourihane and Hogan seem like Bruce moves as lets raid the best in form players from poorer clubs

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

Most of the signings that Bruce was most clearly and directly involved with - Elmo, Whelan and Terry for three - have worked out fine. With regards to other signings, it's very hard for us to know who was the main instigator of so-and-so, but then if Bruce doesn't get the credit for the ones that were okay, he shouldn't get the blame for the ones that weren't. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Most of the signings that Bruce was most clearly and directly involved with - Elmo, Whelan and Terry for three - have worked out fine. With regards to other signings, it's very hard for us to know who was the main instigator of so-and-so, but then if Bruce doesn't get the credit for the ones that were okay, he shouldn't get the blame for the ones that weren't. 

You are completely correct. 

I think Elmo gets a bit more stick because he was so clearly Bruce’s signing (as he was at Hull etc.). For me though, he’s a very good right back, and one I’d be happy to start with in the PL.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Yes, Bruce did a terrific job of recruiting and assembling a squad. No doubt about it, we are ready to take the premier league by storm due to the incredibly strong position he left us in with his signings. No doubt about it, he was a true claret and blue hero.

Oh wait..... that's not the case at all, he was shit and left us with an utter mess.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Yes, Bruce did a terrific job of recruiting and assembling a squad. No doubt about it, we are ready to take the premier league by storm due to the incredibly strong position he left us in with his signings. No doubt about it, he was a true claret and blue hero.

Oh wait..... that's not the case at all, he was shit and left us with an utter mess.

Are sides promoted from the Championship regularly 'ready to take the Premier League by storm'? Presumably not, since they usually get relegated again, and apart from Wolves I can't really think of many examples of promoted sides 'taking the Premier League by storm', so it's hardly a good metric to measure anything by. 

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Are sides promoted from the Championship regularly 'ready to take the Premier League by storm'? Presumably not, since they usually get relegated again, and apart from Wolves I can't really think of many examples of promoted sides 'taking the Premier League by storm', so it's hardly a good metric to measure anything by. 

Yes, but most dont need a full rebuild.

I'm a huge fan of Elmohamady and I think Smith's style in particular helped with his turnaround in form. If not the most physical he's cool-headed on the ball and a smart player going forward as the assist for Jack's goal against Rotherham shows. I'm very happy to have him in the squad as cover on the right flank for next season.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1

memory might be a bit out but  . I think it was Leeds at VP where he made a bit of  a blunder / looked like he couldn't be arsed and I felt that was the end of his career with us  ... Think he was  then subsequently dropped for Hutton

Hutton's injury allowed him back in the team and he was then a key part of that unbeaten run 

My preference would be to have a better starter than him each week , but he wouldn't be a bad option as a sub  ... either as a RB or a RM   ..

Edited by tonyh29

23 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Quick, cancel all the comments on the last two pages saying he is no good! 🤣

Pretty odd. Guy (when played at RB) has been a very solid player for us for last two seasons. Had a disaster of a December and was then out of the team for a while but showed superb mentality strength to come in and play well in the run in.

He's also our most experienced premier league player by a mile in the squad given he's pretty much played in it since 2010 before joining us.

Have to say how good Gulibert is but if he dosen't settle or hit the ground running but I can see AEM playing a lot at RB next season. Yes he'll struggle v top 6 (like most of our squad) but I think he'll be fine v bottom half teams.

22 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Couldn't get a look in at the world cup. They changed manager?

Yes was Hector Cuper then who didn't rate him seemingly. Very much back in favour under Javier Aguirre now who used to manage Mexico.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Probably the only question mark I had over Smith was how he continued to start Hutton over Elmo. But then I guess watching them in training day In day out, maybe Hutton seemed a better choice.

You missed the December games. AEM needed to be taken out of the team for his own good, the rest did him good.

Â