Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I highly doubt we would start Elmo just because Hassan is playing, language barriers are common place in football, you don't hinder a position on the pitch just so 2 players speak the same language.

Guilbert is nailed on first choice for me.

And tbh jota is nailed on RW, personally Ithink el Ghazi and Hassan should duke it out for the LW spot.

What about Benrahma? 😁

I'd try El Ghazi as RW too. He had his best game in that position against the Tesco bags.

Being a known quantity isn't necessarily a good thing.

If Elmo is our regular starting RB towards the January window then we will need a new RB.

Feel certain that Guilbert will be our RB, if not on day 1 then at least before August in over.

Elmohamady was widely criticized for his performances as a right-back the last time he was in the Premier league with Hull, as was the manager who played him there. I feels he's become slightly overrated recently, wasn't long back that people rated Hutton better than him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Neither do I, but when Trez starts, so does Elmo 

I thought this yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised, although there's little evidence of it yet. Smith has consistently made a point to mention the importance of partnerships. 

They seemed on the same wavelength yesterday, although the sample size is tiny of course. In other sports it's quite normal to see players handcuffed to one another, if the analytics work. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Elmohamady was widely criticized for his performances as a right-back the last time he was in the Premier league with Hull, as was the manager who played him there. I feels he's become slightly overrated recently, wasn't long back that people rated Hutton better than him.

No.

20 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Elmo will start, but Guilbert has been real good and will challenge.

Absolutely no chance sir.

Elmo can't defend. He couldn't in the championship.

He became a good weapon in a team on the front foot 70% in every match they played from March onwards last year.

Fred G will be starting every PL match he's available for this season.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, sne said:

Being a known quantity isn't necessarily a good thing.

If Elmo is our regular starting RB towards the January window then we will need a new RB.

Feel certain that Guilbert will be our RB, if not on day 1 then at least before August in over.

No, it's not. But he was very good at the end of last season, and by all accounts he played well captaining Egypt. We have a full new squad where he is one of the few to bring continuity (and leadership too). I think that counts for the manager.

Edited by AVTuco

Many did, you only have to go back a few pages in this thread to find posts panning Elmohamady's displays. He did well towards the end of the season, especially with his assists, but I'd definitely be starting Guilbert ahead of him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely no chance sir.

Elmo can't defend. He couldn't in the championship.

He became a good weapon in a team on the front foot 70% in every match they played from March onwards last year.

Fred G will be starting every PL match he's available for this season.

I think you're too harsh, but hey-ho ... we'll see. We have very good options for RB anyway, and whichever plays has to perform. Excellent situation.

Edited by AVTuco

14 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I thought this yesterday and I wouldn't be surprised, although there's little evidence of it yet. Smith has consistently made a point to mention the importance of partnerships. 

They seemed on the same wavelength yesterday, although the sample size is tiny of course. In other sports it's quite normal to see players handcuffed to one another, if the analytics work. 

Once Trez has been here a while then yes Guilbert will play (I think him and Jota start anyway). But I definitely wouldn’t be surprised at the beginning for Elmo and Trez to play together. It would be very hard for an Arabic speaker who has never played in a England before to understand a lot of what is being said, Elmo will help him there. It’s also why it’s no surprise to me that once we purchased our first Brazilian, we get another one in in the same window. 

Edited by mikeyp102

21 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Once Trez has been here a while then yes Guilbert will play (I think him and Jota start anyway). But I definitely wouldn’t be surprised at the beginning for Elmo and Trez to play together. It would be very hard for an Arabic speaker who has never played in a England before to understand a lot of what is being said, Elmo will help him there. It’s also why it’s no surprise to me that once we purchased our first Brazilian, we get another one in in the same window. 

Trezeguet spent 2 years in Belgium, I'd imagine he snapped up a few words in French during that time so he and Guilbert should work fine.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I think you're too harsh, but hey-ho ... we'll see. We have very good options for RB anyway, and whichever plays has to perform. Excellent situation.

I'm with you on that AVTuco.. 

Elmo finished the season well and played well recently for his country too, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him start away at Spurs. 

But like you say there's some good healthy competition there now which is just what we need.

I think Guilbert will definitely be starting in games where we should have more of the ball, for example (at home) to basically everyone barring the top 6. 

• Like 1

Â