Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

According to stats he was the best player on the pitch against Bournemouth.

Looks like people have already made their mind up about him. We already have our scapegoats in Taylor and Elmo even though it's Jack, Heaton and Luiz that have ultimately made the errors to make us lose both games.

We are pointing our fingers at the wrong direction. Not saying by any means we should bench Jack, Luiz and Heaton. The team need time to gel and get used to the league but Taylor and Elmo is not the root to our problems.

Well as you well know, its all about opinions....I see stats, but I put my trust in watching the game live.

Those 3 players have made errors granted.....but they have also done many things to try and win a game or make saves at Spurs to keep us in one.

My comments were not designed to criticise Elmo,or Taylor but to put in some perspective, I feel similar about both.......but for me they lack conviction and an ability to drive the team on.....He has some decent attributes, heads the ball well, links up well, but can be suseptible to be caught out of position as with Taylor......I don't see either strong in the tackle, sufficient to put trepidation in to an opponent......I am unsure the others are any better, not seen enough of them yet.

but in order to explain all this, it sounds like a moan.....and that is not my intention.

I am not aware of their instructions and that may play a part, but I suspect, what I see is in their game...a certain indecision and cautiousness.

I hear some folk say Elmo is not really a defender as such, such is his style, almost a snatch at mitigation.

I hope the 2 boys prove me wrong in my assessment, but I have a sneaky suspicion, it will be other players in the team, improving, who will be instrumental  in helping us get the points, we seek.

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well as you well know, its all about opinions....I see stats, but I put my trust in watching the game live.

Those 3 players have made errors granted.....but they have also done many things to try and win a game or make saves at Spurs to keep us in one.

My comments were not designed to criticise Elmo,or Taylor but to put in some perspective, I feel similar about both.......but for me they lack conviction and an ability to drive the team on.....He has some decent attributes, heads the ball well, links up well, but can be suseptible to be caught out of position as with Taylor......I don't see either strong in the tackle, sufficient to put trepidation in to an opponent......I am unsure the others are any better, not seen enough of them yet.

but in order to explain all this, it sounds like a moan.....and that is not my intention.

I am not aware of their instructions and that may play a part, but I suspect, what I see is in their game...a certain indecision and cautiousness.

I hear some folk say Elmo is not really a defender as such, such is his style, almost a snatch at mitigation.

I hope the 2 boys prove me wrong in my assessment, but I have a sneaky suspicion, it will be other players in the team, improving, who will be instrumental  in helping us get the points, we seek.

He's a troll, he's going to keep repeating the lie that Taylor and Elmo are scapegoats. Don't feed him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/12/2018 at 18:44, villalad21 said:

Hutton and Elmo a combined age of 65.

They need to go by the summer, nowhere near good enough

Looks like he managed to win you over.

Man the backlash 9 months ago was crazy. To be fair he was playing shit but the amount of abuse he got was harsh.  Fair play to him for turning it around. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yep, Taylor too.

They've both been great for the past 5 months.

The two deserved the two games giving their performances to get us to the promised land. I expect to see the two on bench tomorrow night 

I think Dean Smith said that Elmo is a very intelligent and tactically aware player if I recall correctly. I fully trust DS, especially in this regard, and it corresponds with my impression of Elmo. I think he is a very decent right back, reliable in defence, good enough passer, good engine and very good in the air for his height. Has got Premier League experience in abundance as well. On top of that I think his best attribute is his crossing, he creates a lot of chances for us.

I'm glad to have him a the first choice, or as back up to Guilbert if he can outperform Elmo. Very happy with the new deal, fully deserved! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Wish the official website would stop saying "Aston Villa IS delighted to announce...". Lets go back to good old "Aston Villa are...". 

Like my old Grammar used to say

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

The two deserved the two games giving their performances to get us to the promised land. I expect to see the two on bench tomorrow night 

They'll be starting tomorrow as well. 

• Like 1

No problem with the 1-year contract extension, he has been a steady performer throughout his tenure here and his performances over the 10-game winning streak culminating with our play off success and a decent AFCON, I would say he has earned it.

I must say I might have had a total different outlook back in December 2018 after his performances against Stoke and Leeds! Funny how things can change eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Thought he was poor when he came on. Crossed first time when needed to take a touch, took a touch when needed to cross first time.

Who did standout from our wingers this season? Jota first half against Everton, flashes of quality from Trez at Spurs and a goal from El Ghazi.

For that alone, I think trying Elmo would be worth it. Especially with his defensive capabilities.

Â