Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure what's so remarkable about those stats...he made a lot of passes and a lot of crosses. We all saw that. It was a decent performance and I haven't seen anyone in here claim otherwise. @Philosopher's post above pretty much sums up what everyone is saying 

Bournemouth were more than happy to let him cross and even just let us build up from the right. It was all slow and in front of them, just how they would have wanted it. That just doesn't really fly in the PL anymore.

I’d agree but one cross was a sitter Grealish missed and the other was a sitter Taylor missed.  So whilst not always effective it was in 2 incidents.   The second one being superb play by Jack too.

• Like 1

I think Guilbert looked very good during preseason and I've got high hopes for him, but he did seem a bit raw and defensively suspect at time, so I am not surprised Elmo is playing. 

How Taylor is keeping Targett out of the team on the other hand baffles me. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think Guilbert looked very good during preseason and I've got high hopes for him, but he did seem a bit raw and defensively suspect at time, so I am not surprised Elmo is playing. 

How Taylor is keeping Targett out of the team on the other hand baffles me. 

Probably because he is not as good as defending and it’s important to not concede too many goals while the team are still adapting to each other and the league. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Glad Elmo has signed on for another year. Has been very good for the last 7-8 months. For the first time in quite a while I'm pretty happy with our 4 first team full backs. Hopefully we will see Guilbert get some game time but it's always good to know we have a good back up in Elmo available. 

Watch his form fall to shit now. Nailed on. 

A small digression, but who was that player we had who was poor for ages,  then around contract time switches it on before reverting back? Can't for ny life remember who it was. Lee Hendrie? 

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Best player on the pitch against Bournemouth yet people want him dropped.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1375938/Live/England-Premier-League-2019-2020-Aston-Villa-Bournemouth

According to the same site he was the 2nd worst player on the pitch against Spurs and people still wanted him to play.

Was the right call that time, resting him against Everton might just as easily be the right call.

The problem in the Prem decent players get relegated......you have to be good.

being good is taking your game to the opposition and challenging them, showing energy,pace and conviction to put them under pressure, not just staving off their challenges and reacting to their work....marshalling and not direct tackling, is not enough.

Elmo is not a bad player far from it.....but I couldn't honestly describe his as a good player.....Good pro, good character yes.......In terms of decisive play and driving at the opposition, to unhinge them,or unsettle them, no, not for me.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

A small digression, but who was that player we had who was poor for ages,  then around contract time switches it on before reverting back? Can't for ny life remember who it was. Lee Hendrie? 

Yes you are correct, Lee Hendrie was the player you are thinking of. I remember it was a regular criticism of him on the forums. As it happens though Elmo has Guilbert competing for his spot, so that will keep him on his toes.

Edited by NeilS

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Gabby? 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The problem in the Prem decent players get relegated......you have to be good.

being good is taking your game to the opposition and challenging them, showing energy,pace and conviction to put them under pressure, not just staving off their challenges and reacting to their work....marshalling and not direct tackling, is not enough.

Elmo is not a bad player far from it.....but I couldn't honestly describe his as a good player.....Good pro, good character yes.......In terms of decisive play and driving at the opposition, to unhinge them,or unsettle them, no, not for me.

According to stats he was the best player on the pitch against Bournemouth.

Looks like people have already made their mind up about him. We already have our scapegoats in Taylor and Elmo even though it's Jack, Heaton and Luiz that have ultimately made the errors to make us lose both games.

We are pointing our fingers at the wrong direction. Not saying by any means we should bench Jack, Luiz and Heaton. The team need time to gel and get used to the league but Taylor and Elmo is not the root to our problems.

Edited by villalad21

Â