Ahmed Elmohamady

Phumfeinz

Once Guilbert comes into the team after a couple of games people will look back on these last pages and have a good laugh, and probably think what an insightful post this is (regardless of who wrote it, anyone could have). Similar with a lot of threads, way too early to be writing off any of our players yet, or indeed going over the top with praise.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

Once Guilbert comes into the team after a couple of games people will look back on these last pages and have a good laugh, and probably think what an insightful post this is (regardless of who wrote it, anyone could have). Similar with a lot of threads, way too early to be writing off any of our players yet, or indeed going over the top with praise.

Insightful in what way? You haven't claimed anything, just that once Guilbert comes into the team people will laugh and then think your a insightful individual who is the all seeing eye lol. If your after credit for something, what is it? 

Are you a Politician? 

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Looking at detailed stats Elmo had more recoveries than any other defender in the league this week with 16. Next nearest was Dunk with 12 and Pereira Laporte Masuaku on 11

He did get our best player going by the WhoScored.com ratings. Think it was a 7.65.

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

He did get our best player going by the WhoScored.com ratings. Think it was a 7.65.

And maximum bonus points in Fantasy. I believe only 1 defender last season did that with goals conceded and no attacking returns

I mean that's all great, nobody's saying he'd bad or anything. It's a good individual performance. But if you noticed during the game, Bournemouth were more than happy to back off and let Elmo cross from deep. He hardly ever overlapped. All they had to do was have Ake mark Wesley out of the game in the penalty box. Chances did fall to players like Grealish and Taylor, but they'd live with that...and they did.

In the PL you need more dynamic fullbacks to keep the defence on their toes. They need to bomb past the winger on occasion, something neither Elmo nor Taylor did. It's not that Elmo is bad, far from it...or even that Guilbert is good. It's just that as a team, in this league, we stand to benefit far more from his skill-set. 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I mean that's all great, nobody's saying he'd bad or anything. It's a good individual performance. But if you noticed during the game, Bournemouth were more than happy to back off and let Elmo cross from deep. He hardly ever overlapped. All they had to do was have Ake mark Wesley out of the game in the penalty box. Chances did fall to players like Grealish and Taylor, but they'd live with that...and they did.

In the PL you need more dynamic fullbacks to keep the defence on their toes. They need to bomb past the winger on occasion, something neither Elmo nor Taylor did. It's not that Elmo is bad, far from it...or even that Guilbert is good. It's just that as a team, in this league, we stand to benefit far more from his skill-set. 

How can you overlap when other team has 10 men behind the ball after we gave away stupid 2 goals in 10 minutes. That was huge factor

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Until we see them play. I hope it’s not the case but it could be that Guilbert was bought for the championship and Targett is not as good as the club thought?

i think elmo and taylor are the first choice full backs...targett and guilbert were brought in as back up

people want them to come in based on taylor still being a scapegoat and guilbert looking fairly bright vs lower league opposition in pre season friendlies

elmo was one of our best players saturday

Just now, tomav84 said:

elmo was one of our best players saturday

Can't agree with that. I thought Taylor was and I think both if them did really well against Spurs, but against Bournemouth I thought Elmo was together with Grealish, Heaton and El Ghazi the worst players on the pitch. He had several fumbles and poor passes that gave the ball away. He missed key passes on break aways. He wasn't awful, but out of our 11 I'd easily say Engels, Taylor, Mings, McGinn, Luiz, Trez and Wesley impressed me a lot more. 

13 hours ago, useless said:

You say to early to be writing players off but also say 'Once Guilbert comes into the team' when Elmo has done nothing to deserve being replaced?

Parts of me hope Targett and Guilbert will both play soon so we can get this idea about them being a "revelation" for us out of the board.

I'm so sick and tired of Elmo and Taylor not getting the praise they deserve for playing very well.

By the end of the season I'm pretty sure that Guilbert and Targett will have made more first team appearances than Taylor and Elmohamady, they won't have been signed as back-up options. People talk about Guilbert as if all he's ever done in his career is have a decent pre-season with us, at the time we signed him he was rated as the best performing right-back in Ligue 1, and we paid around £5m for him as a Championship club, he's not just some randon player, I doubt we would have paid £11.5M potentially rising to £17m for Targett just to be an understudy to Taylor either.

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Parts of me hope Targett and Guilbert will both play soon so we can get this idea about them being a "revelation" for us out of the board.

I'm so sick and tired of Elmo and Taylor not getting the praise they deserve for playing very well.

Haha, always the contrarian. Was it you who was hoping we lost a few times last season so people would stop thinking Dean Smith was capable of getting us promoted? I'm sure there was something like that.

I half expect that if people were praising Taylor and Elmo you'd say something like, 'I look forwards to Guilbert and Targett coming in so we can get rid of this idea that Tayor and Elmo are Premier League standard players.'

Because are they really good enough? Taylor was got rid of by a relegation-bound Swansea and sold to the Championship, where a lot of the time he didn't even make the squad, sometimes so we had Hause as back up LB, who is a CB.  

Elmo has been solid enough, but it is so obvious he is lacking going forwards (as is Taylor—but Elmo is a bit better).

Edited by praisedmambo

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

Because are they really good enough? Taylor was got rid of by a relegation-bound Swansea and sold to the Championship, where a lot of the time he's not even made the squad, sometimes for out of favour for Hause, who is a CB.  

Elmo has been solid enough, but it is so obvious he is lacking going forwards (as is Taylor—but Elmo is a bit better).

so far? yes they are. neither have deserved to be on the losing side in our first 2 games. elmo put some good balls in that lead to key chances. taylor has been solid defensively but i agree he is lacking going forward but based on pre season (which is all we have to go on) so is targett. and using your previous club logic, this guy couldnt get into a poor southampton team and the majority of their fanbase laughed at the price we paid for him.

i also think that linking up with his international team mate must be helping trez massively too

Just now, tomav84 said:

it was indeed

Just watched the highlights and it was also his cross from the byline that dropped to Taylor when he should have scored. 

I swear it’s like some people have just made their mind up that Elmo doesn’t get forward regardless of what happens in the game. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Just watched the highlights and it was also his cross from the byline that dropped to Taylor when he should have scored. 

I swear it’s like some people have just made their mind up that Elmo doesn’t get forward regardless of what happens in the game. 

Imagine if Guilbert made those crosses...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

the same taylor who also apparently never leaves his own half...

Â