John Terry

Farlz

57 minutes ago, Mr.Messy said:

It is a gamble, he is unproven at this level.

So the same could be said for every footballer who hasn't played in the championship. Every signing is a gamble of some degree. I just find statements like this pointless

Gambles are around his fitness, not clear he can 'do it' anymore so will have to wait and see, also, it's entirely possible that at his age and given the drop in level he just want take things as seriously as he used to, there can often be a bit of malaise among these kind of experienced players. That said, it's a risk worth taking, been a long time since we have had a genuine leader at the club. 

• Like 2

Regarding the premier clubs interested in JT - surely he could have gone to one with the agreement he wouldn't play in the Chelsea games ., maybe the challenge of promotion at villa excites him more than a relegation scrap with Swansea or Albion . 

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Gambles are around his fitness, not clear he can 'do it' anymore so will have to wait and see, also, it's entirely possible that at his age and given the drop in level he just want take things as seriously as he used to, there can often be a bit of malaise among these kind of experienced players. That said, it's a risk worth taking, been a long time since we have had a genuine leader at the club. 

I think the fact he is coming to us for a genuine challenge, suggests he has enough motivation. He's not coming for a final pay day as there are a number of much better options if cash was his motivation. He's clearly a purist who is prepared to struggle by on £60k a week :crylaugh:

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Regarding the premier clubs interested in JT - surely he could have gone to one with the agreement he wouldn't play in the Chelsea games ., maybe the challenge of promotion at villa excites him more than a relegation scrap with Swansea or Albion . 

I think that's part of it. But I also think he's probably aware he can't perform at his best in the premier league anymore. 

I do hope his motivation stays for the whole season. I do wonder how his motivation might change after a few months of playing for a club he doesn't really care about. 

Rio Ferdinand experienced it when he dropped down to QPR and said his heart just wasn't in it. 

• Like 1

Look on the bright side

When Bruce gets the sack after the Bristol game and JT is "caretaker-coach-till-we-find-a-manager". 

He gets us promoted then Richards, Hutton, Gardner, Gaby & whoever we didnt get rid of from Bacuna, Bunn, McGate, Gil, Veretout & Sanchez will all be PL players again.

yay

22 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Two different characters though Rio and Terry. I don't expect Terry's heart to not be in it. 

Agreed and rio was undergoing a traumatic time off the field with the sad loss of his wife.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Godders said:

I'm not one for using this language, but in the context of what's being discussed, it's probably inevitable.

Sorry i meant there was no need for John Terry to use it! As in he went to far but I doubt it was in hatred because of the guys colour. It was just in very bad taste! 

Edit: what I'm trying to say is although there is never an excuse for this type of anguage I do believe there is a difference in using racist language in the heat of the moment than being a racist person. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry i meant there was no need for John Terry to use it! As in he went to far but I doubt it was in hatred because of the guys colour. It was just in very bad taste! 

Edit: what I'm trying to say is although there is never an excuse for this type of anguage I do believe there is a difference in using racist language in the heat of the moment than being a racist person. 

I mean, if you're not a racist person...you wouldn't use racist language in the heat of the moment. It just wouldn't come to your head, because it would mean you think the person's race is an insult in itself.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Look on the bright side

When Bruce gets the sack after the Bristol game and JT is "caretaker-coach-till-we-find-a-manager". 

He gets us promoted then Richards, Hutton, Gardner, Gaby & whoever we didnt get rid of from Bacuna, Bunn, McGate, Gil, Veretout & Sanchez will all be PL players again.

yay

What the hell are you on about? Seriously 

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

I mean, if you're not a racist person...you wouldn't use racist language in the heat of the moment. It just wouldn't come to your head, because it would mean you think the person's race is an insult in itself.

You think so? In that case I reckon majority of people are racist. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ah OK. Apologies for misunderstanding! 

He's always maintained the only reason he said it was because Anton Ferdinand accused him of saying it, ie... 

AF: "did you just call me x?!" 

JT: "No I didn't just call you x!" 

X obviously being the phrase in question. 

If that version of events is true, it suggests he's not a racist, even though he used that language towards Ferdinand.

Ultimately though, there's only one person who knows exactly what went down that day, and he's said it's this version of events. 

58 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the decisive factor is Bruce. He has been persuaded by his mate. 

Never underestimate the importance of a well respected manager with good contacts. 

robert_pires_1772349b.jpg 

Â