John Terry

Farlz

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

True. But at 36 not playing games is hardly the best way to stay match fit.

25 would only be just over half. I'd feel a bit let down by that. That is a lot of money and bonuses for a player who may only impact 50% of our games. 

If he is the instrumental force in getting us up.....I would wager most villa fans would be happy to double it......whatever it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its a valid point......

but how many games has DeLaet- Gabby- Jack - Jed- Bjarnason-Green-Hogan,Kodjia etc,etc,etc.

Its a squad....players get injured, suspended,lose form.

How many games was we expecting from Paul McGrath?

Of course. But how many of those players were given massive contracts and deemed a coup for the club? 

Money paid is a big reason why McCormack's season was ruled a complete failure. 

Just now, TRO said:

If he is the instrumental force in getting us up.....I would wager most villa fans would be happy to double it......whatever it is.

He'd have to have some major impact if he's the instrumental force and only plays in half the games. 

This thing about not being able to run is daft. I can't remember watching many games where central defenders are always having to give it toes back towards their goal. It's a myth. Good defenders don't have to do it. 

As for his lack of game time, probably because his side had a brutal, title winning defence. It may not have been great for keeping him match fit for last season but it will have helped protect his legs over the last year or two. 

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Of course. But how many of those players were given massive contracts and deemed a coup for the club? 

some gambles pay off.....some don't.

There are not many players ( that are getable..and to be honest I didn't think he was)who you could hand on heart say.....He could have a major influence in getting us up.

He is well aware of himself and his influence, thats why he's expensive......He might be a few things, but fool, is not one of them.

just to remind you the last 2 summers we have spent gross c100m.......and last season that is what we had assembled.......Hmmmmmmm

so I would say there are far more questions than answers in that squad.

No one can be sure....but sounds like a coup to me.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Footballing Character......Terry v McCormack

verdict - No Contest.

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He'd have to have some major impact if he's the instrumental force and only plays in half the games. 

That is pure speculation half the games, however, it might be less....who knows?

but how do we know the effect he can have at BMH....... in addition to the time on the pitch.

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

True. But at 36 not playing games is hardly the best way to stay match fit.

25 would only be just over half. I'd feel a bit let down by that. That is a lot of money and bonuses for a player who may only impact 50% of our games. 

At least 25 as a minimum - hopefully nearer 35 , may struggle to play 3 in week but 2 in a week should be manageable. 

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

well Dr Tone seems happy and its his money.

If he's as influential as I'd hoped he'd be, then I'd be more than happy with only 25 games. 

Baker and Chester are a more than capable partnership. What we need is another capable centre back to ensure those two don't need to play every game. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Given he is 37 soon and managed 494 minutes of football for the whole of 16/17. How many games are people expecting him to be able to play in. 

You make it sound like he only managed 494 minutes because he wasn't fit enough to play.

That's not a relevant stat to use really.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

You make it sound like he only managed 494 minutes because he wasn't fit enough to play.

That's not a relevant stat to use really.

Ok, change managed to played. 

I think it is when you combine his age. I'm interested to know how many games people think he will be able to cope with. 

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

At least 25 as a minimum - hopefully nearer 35 , may struggle to play 3 in week but 2 in a week should be manageable. 

If he can do over 30 and perform well then I'd be happier. 

I don't buy this idea at all that he's going to have a massive influence away from the pitch. I want him to influence games and impact on our results. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

If he's as influential as I'd hoped he'd be, then I'd be more than happy with only 25 games. 

Baker and Chester are a more than capable partnership. What we need is another capable centre back to ensure those two don't need to play every game. 

I'm not as sure as you are about Baker.....there are things I like and things I am not so happy with.

I think Baker is a good stopper and can be dominant in the air.....He can be suspect in his positioning and is tentative in coming out or starting attacks....He is also injury prone.

I wouldn't want to sell him particularly, but I am not a sure as you of his overall ability.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not as sure as you are about Baker.....there are things I like and things I am not so happy with.

I think Baker is a good stopper and can be dominant in the air.....He can be suspect in his positioning and is tentative in coming out or starting attacks....He is also injury prone.

I wouldn't want to sell him particularly, but I am not a sure as you of his overall ability.

Baker is a top defender in the championship when fit.

• Like 1

Â