John Terry

Farlz

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Ok, change managed to played. 

I think it is when you combine his age. I'm interested to know how many games people think he will be able to cope with. 

It's a valid concern of course, but the way you worded it sounded like you were directly relating time played to fitness.

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Baker is a top defender in the championship when fit.

I do understand what you are saying.....I have seen things that make me unsure, i see things lacking.....I felt similar about Clark too and he went on to feature in a winning team.

just my opinion.

Just now, DCJonah said:

No, just that the owner being happy spending is hardly an indication of everything is going to be ok.

And Randy Lerner pissing loads of money away and then reigning in the spending is hardly an indication the same will happen again. 

We could go on and on...

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not as sure as you are about Baker.....there are things I like and things I am not so happy with.

I think Baker is a good stopper and can be dominant in the air.....He can be suspect in his positioning and is tentative in coming out or starting attacks....He is also injury prone.

I wouldn't want to sell him particularly, but I am not a sure as you of his overall ability.

I agree he has his limitations. I think he's the number one source of our hoofing mentality, for example. 

But he's still capable. If Chester and Baker could play every single game for us then they'd be good enough to be in a Championship winning defence. 

I would definitely see Terry as an improvement though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And Randy Lerner pissing loads of money away and then reigning in the spending is hardly an indication the same will happen again. 

We could go on and on...

I know. Don't think I suggested it was.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Baker is a top defender in the championship when fit.

Decent back up to Chester and Terry but of the 3 it would be Baker I'd have in the bench.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree he has his limitations. I think he's the number one source of our hoofing mentality, for example. 

But he's still capable. If Chester and Baker could play every single game for us then they'd be good enough to be in a Championship winning defence. 

I would definitely see Terry as an improvement though. 

I was tempted to say the same, but thought it might seem a bit harsh.

Its hard to put my finger on.....but I do think the defence ( despite me singing the praises of a more resilient team) have an effect on our iffy offensive play.

I know its sounds paradoxical, but I believe it to be so.

I think Terry could make a big difference with that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was tempted to say the same, but thought it might seem a bit harsh.

It's not harsh. It's completely true. He is very good defensively. But he's not very composed on the ball. 

Compare him and Chester when they have the ball and it's night and day. 

To bring it back on topic, I think that's certainly an area Terry can improve on, and probably not a coincidence. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rubberman said:

I expect him to play around 62 games.  Automatic promotion and winning both cups.  

Aim high.

If that is to be so, and we are walking away with it......is it likely he will renegotiate his contract half way through the season or go on strike?

just trying to cover all the eventualities:wacko:

Edited by TRO

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

So what were you suggesting? 

Like I said. I was disagreeing with the post that said it's Tony's money and he's happy to spend it. For me that doesn't make concerns disappear or mean much to me.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Isn't that intent though? As you say there's no dispute he used racist language, it's the intention of how it was used that couldn't be proved in court. Was it a question or was he racially abusing someone. 

At the end of the day it's still the England captain having to resign before they stripped him of his captaincy because he used racist language on a football pitch. Not your everyday occurence. 

Apologies, thought you were talking about his intent to use racist language.

I seem to remember he resigned because he felt his position had become untenable. Certainly not an admission of guilt on his part. The FA would have had their own public relations motivations as well. 

Look, you think JT is a racist word removed based on his previous. I fully respect your opinion. I don't personally think he's a racist though. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Godders said:

I seem to remember he resigned because he felt his position had become untenable. Certainly not an admission of guilt on his part. The FA would have had their own public relations motivations as well. 

Look, you think JT is a racist word removed based on his previous. I fully respect your opinion. I don't personally think he's a racist though. 

I bet he is no more racist than half the Holte end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Like I said. I was disagreeing with the post that said it's Tony's money and he's happy to spend it. For me that doesn't make concerns disappear or mean much to me.

I wasn't attempting to make your concerns disappear with my reference to Tony being happy with the deal and wouldn't try, they are your concerns and for you to have.

I am happy with the signing and the terms....my point was its Tony's money and if he is happy that tells me something.....it clearly tells you nothing.

so be it.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

DC you are really against this signing aren't you? 

No, not massively. A lot will depend on how long the deal is for. 

I think he's a horrible human being. I have concerns over how much he can play and how well he can play. But I'm happy to admit he has the potential to be excellent at this level. 

12 month deal and it's worth the gamble. Any longer and my concerns will remain. 

I just don't see it as the great signing others do

10 minutes ago, Godders said:

He gave up the armband before the FA had chance to take it off him I believe. 

At the end of the day he used the phrase "**** black word removed" when talking to a black player on a football pitch. I didn't think it was right at the time and I won't change my mind because he's about to become a villa player. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He gave up the armband before the FA had chance to take it off him I believe. 

At the end of the day he used the phrase "**** black word removed" when talking to a black player on a football pitch. I didn't think it was right at the time and I won't change my mind because he's about to become a villa player. 

I don't think anybody is saying it wasn't wrong. There was no need to use 'black'. 

Â