John Terry

Farlz

At last, a leader.

Thought we had got ourselves 2 or 3 last season but elphick wasn't what we thought we were getting, 

Rmc didn't shower himself in glory either.

Chester was the best for leadership. 

Now we have someone who everyone will look up to and listen to.

Organising the back will be down to him and I can't see him being happy defending deep every game so will look to push the team forwards.

As a man he seems to be an egomaniac however I'm sure slot of multimillionaire players are just the same.

Need a solid if not spectacular keeper now so the midfield can have the freedom to attack rather than defend constantly.

• Like 2

Is it wrong that I've let the racist hullabaloo go but I'm still holding a grudge over the full kit rocket polisher thing?

• Like 2

Don't like Terry, never have done, either as a player or person. Always felt he was hugely overrated and benefited from having great players around him. I fear this could be another Villa transfer we live to regret.

I hope I'm proved massively wrong.

16 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Don't like Terry, never have done, either as a player or person. Always felt he was hugely overrated and benefited from having great players around him. I fear this could be another Villa transfer we live to regret.

I hope I'm proved massively wrong.

On a one year deal there can't be much regret. 

As for not liking the guy, I get that but not rating the player? No can't understand that one, sure he benefited from having great players around him, who doesn't, but he held his place in the Chelsea team on merit.

• Like 2

The whole racist thing kind of bugs me. Had another look at it.

In his criminal trial he accepted he said the words, but he said it repeating what Ferdinand said to him. He was found not guilty for a clear lack evidence of any intent to be racially abusive. 

Yes he was found guilty by the FA of breach of the rules; however the rules stated merely even saying the words you were in breach, doesn't matter the intent behind it. Therefore based on his case, he was always going to be found guilty by the FA because he had simply used the words. 

Does simply saying those words make him a racist? No, it is always subjective to the intent. 

Wonder how much he would have played last year if he hadn't picked up an injury early on. He started the first 4 games as part of a 4 at the back but then got an injury that kept him out for a month or so. By the time he was fit enough again they had switched to 3 at the back and there wasn't really much opportunity for him after that

5 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

The whole racist thing kind of bugs me. Had another look at it.

In his criminal trial he accepted he said the words, but he said it repeating what Ferdinand said to him. He was found not guilty for a clear lack evidence of any intent to be racially abusive. 

Yes he was found guilty by the FA of breach of the rules; however the rules stated merely even saying the words you were in breach, doesn't matter the intent behind it. Therefore based on his case, he was always going to be found guilty by the FA because he had simply used the words. 

Does simply saying those words make him a racist? No, it is always subjective to the intent. 

The intent can't be proved. Partly because someone walked past the camera while he was saying the words, meaning it could not be fully proved exactly what was said. 

I imagine his expensive lawyers saw this and came up with the defense they did. I thought it was a bullshit defense at the time and him wearing a villa shirt doesn't change that. If someone accused me of racially abusing them I can't imagine i'd repeat the exact words back when questioning it. 

On the playing side though, a 12 month deal on £60 grand a week is well worth the gamble. I assumed it would be more money or a longer length. Can't complain with the deal we've done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

At last, a leader.

Thought we had got ourselves 2 or 3 last season but elphick wasn't what we thought we were getting, 

Rmc didn't shower himself in glory either.

Chester was the best for leadership. 

Now we have someone who everyone will look up to and listen to.

Organising the back will be down to him and I can't see him being happy defending deep every game so will look to push the team forwards.

As a man he seems to be an egomaniac however I'm sure slot of multimillionaire players are just the same.

Need a solid if not spectacular keeper now so the midfield can have the freedom to attack rather than defend constantly.

Agree with that. All those you mentioned plus Jedi and RMC had been captains at previous clubs, the difference with Terry is, he won't be fazed by the size of the club or the expectation. 

I wouldn't have had an issue with Jedi leading the team, as I think he's capable of embracing it, but it's so good to have Terry in there. 

Was the last time Terry played at VP that time he got injured and basically the whole of Villa Park were laughing and chanting at him?

I've literally never heard anything like it.

Wonder if he remembers that :) 

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Was the last time Terry played at VP that time he got injured and basically the whole of Villa Park were laughing and chanting at him?

He mentioned it in his interview

Said he thrived on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abdomlahor said:

don't you find the fact that chelsea never replaced him despite all of their wealth slightly telling?

Also, the amount of world class managers who have been and gone in the time he's been there and none of them looked to remove him from the team or as captain. 

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I'm actually quite excited by this signing.

Anyone else? 

I know, it's like he will make our team a lot better or something. But they can shove promotion up their bottoms, give me a 100% ethically sound club permanently languishing in the championship any day. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I'm actually quite excited by this signing.

Anyone else? 

I wasn't, but seeing the training photos and hearing his interview has got me buzzing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

The intent can't be proved. Partly because someone walked past the camera while he was saying the words, meaning it could not be fully proved exactly what was said. 

I imagine his expensive lawyers saw this and came up with the defense they did. I thought it was a bullshit defense at the time and him wearing a villa shirt doesn't change that. If someone accused me of racially abusing them I can't imagine i'd repeat the exact words back when questioning it. 

On the playing side though, a 12 month deal on £60 grand a week is well worth the gamble. I assumed it would be more money or a longer length. Can't complain with the deal we've done. 

Whilst lawyers like to think themselves as clever they can't make up stories for their clients. More likely they explained the legal technicalities of the point and Terry just happened to fall into that category ;)

Irrespective of that, as said a gamble worth taking. I don't think anyone would be aggrieved if he went to a prem team or abroad for money. We would be kicking ourselves though if he ended up at another championship club.

as you say, well worth the gamble.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He will remember alright.....I guess he has the sense to know that was then and now is now.

As a player.......Thats when you know you have arrived, when they all ( opposition)hate you.

Edited by TRO

Â