John Terry

Farlz

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

It's fine unless we deploy a dm as well as the back 5.

could be way too negative. 

This. If we play 3 at the back then the midlfield should be hourihane, lansbury and mccormack or something of the like, 

• Like 1

Huge gamble by Bruce - he says terry has played 442 all his career and prefers it so then Bruce decides to go 532 ? Bizarre gamble in my opinion .

The fact he still doesn't even know what system he wants to play 8 months on is concerning.

Steve Bruce pondering this formation for Villa's promotion push 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steve-bruce-pondering-13287334#ICID=ios_BMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Huge gamble by Bruce - he says terry has played 442 all his career and prefers it so then Bruce decides to go 532 ? Bizarre gamble in my opinion .

As Bruce said you would have to play Terry in the middle of two other centre backs. He certainly reads the game well enough to excel in that role.

Paul McGrath played most of his career at Man Utd in a 4. He then came to us and straight away Taylor played him in a 3 alongside Mountfield and Nielsen. A few years later under Little he again played in a three alongside Ugo and Southgate. 

It is certainly worth having a look at him there in pre season.

26 minutes ago, Eastie said:

The fact he still doesn't even know what system he wants to play 8 months on is concerning.

Steve Bruce pondering this formation for Villa's promotion push 

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-steve-bruce-pondering-13287334#ICID=ios_BMNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Yeah I can see this. 

I don't mind trying a couple of things out in pre season but we should mainly be working on the way we are going to play come the start of the season.

• Like 2

He really doesn't have much of a clue, he's extremely basic tactically and when that doesn't work he becomes indecisive. At this level we need to press high, keep the ball and be aggressive, not sit deep, stand off and lump it forward. We have the players to play good and winning football at this level but Bruce is not able to set that up.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't think Terry is a racist, what he did was hardly at the Lee Bowyer end of things. 

I'd consider making Terry the club captain to be honest.

I wouldn't consider it , I'd do it ! 

Terry from all the info we have is here for 12 months. If he comes in and takes the captaincy away from Chester how does that make Chester feel, and then 12 months down the line what message does that give to the squad about Chester as a captain moving forward. 

I think Chester should remain as captain and Terry should support as vice for this season. Then you still have a strong captain moving forward without him being undermined.

1 hour ago, Villanun said:

Didn't Terry say he wouldn't go to a premiership club because he doesn't want to play Chelsea? So he's already decided we won't get promoted. Terry out.

:ph34r:

Thats why it's a 1 year contract. :/

2 minutes ago, Stockport_Villain said:

Terry from all the info we have is here for 12 months. If he comes in and takes the captaincy away from Chester how does that make Chester feel, and then 12 months down the line what message does that give to the squad about Chester as a captain moving forward. 

I think Chester should remain as captain and Terry should support as vice for this season. Then you still have a strong captain moving forward without him being undermined.

It's a fair point, but I don't think Chester would be too upset to hand it over to someone like John Terry, not same as having to give it to someone less 'deserving' (e.g. Lansbury).

We all know how Terry conducts himself on the pitch, he's a big influence, will be barking orders, talking a lot to the officials about decisions and generally trying to organise things. If we accept that this is one of Terry's biggest strengths (leadership), it might equally be difficult if he is doing this whilst the actual 'captain' is on the pitch. We don't want him to lose this because he would have to somewhat defer to Chester, Also on the pitch other players will be more likely to listen to Terry than Chester, which will undermine Chester's position.  

• Like 1

I don't think Chester could sit there and honestly feel within himself that he could continue to be captain when playing along side someone of the stature of John Terry.

He should act like a captain and volunteer to hand over the captaincy. 

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Thats why it's a 1 year contract. :/

One year option after that apparently - they said they'd discuss things after the season but both would need to agree - JT did say he may feel differently in a year .

also nothing stopping him playing but asking not to play against Chelsea although he'd get a great reception back there.

Edited by Eastie

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Is strategy steve at it again.

Just pick a formation and stick with it.

So play the same rigid formation but not change it for the circumstances?

i thought the sign of a good manager and good players (and we do have them) is to be able to play different formations?.

lets become predictable and all the teams know we only play one way in one formation. I would hope he does change formation when the need arises.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Is strategy steve at it again.

Just pick a formation and stick with it.

But now is the time to have a look at different formations not during the season. 

Its good to change things up as it will keep the players on their toes and not make training boring. 

If we stick with 532 is another matter but it won't hurt giving it a run during inconsequential training matches.

• Like 3

Its basically

1-10 isn't it?

Its dynamic,not static.....  during the course of the game and depending on how the game is going the formation shifts anyway.

I am not dismissing formation,far from it, but I think too much emphasis is put on it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â