General Election 2017

ender4

1 minute ago, meregreen said:

The facts state otherwise. The last Labour Govt. was one of the most if not the most successful since the war. Unfortunately the Tory bankers **** it up on a global scale. My own favourite would be Clem Atlees Post War Govt. To build a Welfare State and NHS from the ashes of World War 2 was a quite magnificent achievement. Can't think of anything the Tories have done that even comes close to that . Give them enough time though, and they'll do their conniving best to destroy it.

Yes Clement Atlee is the great pm of all time in my opinion 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Theresa lots we don't know. There could be a war in middle east sending oil prices surging, The US economy could falter which usually affects us. 

I think we do know that the brexit trading terms won't be as good as we have now. But basically we can't put plans on hold for 2 years. 

One thing I'm pretty sure is that Brexit will be tough in the short term and unemployment will go up, hence why I'm worried about hitting businesses in so many ways in one go.  I think that would just make matters worse.  Committing yourself to scrapping tuition fees (a quarter of the spending commitments) immediately is utter foolishness and several Labour posters on here think it's a bad idea that he should scrap too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Come on the riots was not their fault, that's a ridiculous accusation 

I don't quite know how to respond to that, Dem. I could point out that no one made that "accusation". I could point out that the whole article is satirical anyway or I could ....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

One thing I'm pretty sure is that Brexit will be tough in the short term and unemployment will go up, hence why I'm worried about hitting businesses in so many ways in one go.  I think that would just make matters worse.  Committing yourself to scrapping tuition fees (a quarter of the spending commitments) immediately is utter foolishness and several Labour posters on here think it's a bad idea that he should scrap too.

But student loans are only a fairly recent thing. We survived as an economy when we gave students grants. 

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't quite know how to respond to that, Dem. I could point out that no one made that "accusation". I could point out that the whole article is satirical anyway or I could ....

It wasnt directed at you pete the article was insinuating the riots were because of tory government. The way it happened would have happened had it been labour or conservative due to the circumstances..;)

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dunno mate I think its going to be  alot closer than people think. Be very suprised if May wins with a landslide with her her pathetic campaign 

Tory voters don't give a stuff about campaigns. 

39 minutes ago, meregreen said:

I remember those days. We actually had Industries then, before Thatcher butchered them on the altar of monetarism.The 3 day week was under a Tory Govt. People had the guts and determination to fight back in those days. We were a better country then, had a better sense of community and looking after each other. There's a poison that the Tories fed into the British people's beliefs. If Corbyn is the beginning of the fight back, then bring it on.

It was the fools running the Unions that made Thatcher necessary. A return to either would be catastrophic.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

3 day week was under heaths conservatives. 

What it shows is the probable consequences of Corbyn's policy of nationalisation handing more power to the unions.

Back in the day unions seemed like a good thing if you worked for a big company or a publicly owned monopoly and you had the leverage to get your demands met but the unions never thought of those who didn't work for big companies or monopolies and had no such power but had to suffer the inflation created by other people's pay rises.

These days the only people who have that power are elite public employees, who not only have the power to get what they want, but also the PR resources to convince the rest of the population that they deserve what ever they are asking for.

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

What it shows is the probable consequences of Corbyn's policy of nationalisation handing more power to the unions.

Back in the day unions seemed like a good thing if you worked for a big company or a publicly owned monopoly and you had the leverage to get your demands met but the unions never thought of those who didn't work for big companies or monopolies and had no such power but had to suffer the inflation created by other people's pay rises.

These days the only people who have that power are elite public employees, who not only have the power to get what they want, but also the PR resources to convince the rest of the population that they deserve what ever they are asking for.

I don't see how unions can look after employees of companies that don't have a union. 

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't see how unions can look after employees of companies that don't have a union. 

That is why they created the Labour Party but unions made it difficult by following their own narrow their self-interest.

Like in 1969 when Barbara Castle launched her very sensible In Place of Strife policy and it was voted down by the unions, and everyone paid the ultimate price.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Â