General Election 2017

ender4

Feel very shitty today. Speaking to people at work today about who they are voting for, 3 out of 4 people said "Conservative" ... I asked why, "Because I don't like Corbyn and he didn't wear a poppy" ...  I asked what policies they liked from Conservative "Oh none in particular, though I don't agree with the dementia tax"...

I despair sometimes. 

• Like 2

As a small business owner I can't help but think Corbs will **** us over with tax increases and living wage increases.. but the Conservatives are full of melts who I have no faith in.

So torn... might just spoil my ballot and tell them they're all incompetent fools.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Okay fantastic for who ? 

They look set to loose on the scale when the election was called. So even if it fantastic its been totally ineffective. 

See, this is the source of our disagreement. 

The bolded part just isn't true. At the time the election was called, the Tories were roughly 20 points ahead. Even the most pessimistic poll for Labour puts them 'only' 13 ahead now. Now, I fully understand that that isn't going to change who walks into number 10, but it just isn't 'the scale when the election was called'. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

NHS free parking? thats downwart lying to the public, that is never going to happen and I suspect Corbyn knows this.

As far as I can see its either fantasy or lies, not sure which. But dont get me wrong conservatives are no better but what i am getting at I don't think its going to be any better under labour

Exactly. Aren't the majority of carparks owned by private companies? I don't mind paying for hospital parking IF the money is put back into the hospital itself.

• Like 1

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

As a small business owner I can't help but think Corbs will **** us over with tax increases and living wage increases.. but the Conservatives are full of melts who I have no faith in.

So torn... might just spoil my ballot and tell them they're all incompetent fools.

Lets forget the things that threatened to bankrupt us that didn't

-The formation of the NHS was branded unrealistic

-The minimum was was going to bankrupt us 

-Leaving the single was always going to be a bad thing (actually I believe that one !) 

I could we wrong but isn't the living wage going up anyway ? 

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think that's an outdated accusation.

3 months ago I'd agree with you but they've run a fantastic campaign.

They really havent. I think your hatred for the conservatives is making you think this. Mays just been abysmal which is helping Corbyn

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Exactly. Aren't the majority of carparks owned by private companies? I don't mind paying for hospital parking IF the money is put back into the hospital itself.

At the very least ensure they are 'pay on exit', rather than 'pre-pay and guess how long you'll be in there'. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The bolded part just isn't true. At the time the election was called, the Tories were roughly 20 points ahead. Even the most pessimistic poll for Labour puts them 'only' 13 ahead now. Now, I fully understand that that isn't going to change who walks into number 10, but it just isn't 'the scale when the election was called'. 

lets see 

because of the FPP system - in terms of seats a 13 point lead may deliver the same amount of tory seats as a 20% lead. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

At the very least ensure they are 'pay on exit', rather than 'pre-pay and guess how long you'll be in there'. 

Russell's Hall is pay on exit. Just extortionate fees.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You've got to remember that May deliberately used the huge lead to put in unpopular policies in the manifesto such as funding for social care so a decrease in the lead was inevitable and accounted for by her and 'her team'.  I will say if Labour manage to get fewer seats under these circumstances than under Miliband it will be a disaster.  There's still a lot of voting to do so it may not be as bad as it's being said.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

NHS free parking? thats downwart lying to the public, that is never going to happen and I suspect Corbyn knows this.

Depends on what you mean by free parking? I was driving my brother-in-law to the hospital for treatment recently and as a patient you get a card to put in the car each day to park for free. Which I'm totally fine with. Visitors still have to pay though. How else do you stop people abusing the free parking? They used to do this at my local hospital, people who worked in town would park there free all day, and no patients could ever get a space. 

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Would you rather not go for the option that at least wants to try?

I don't care how you vote, and I don't like/care about everything on that list. But I look and think, at least that us trying to make things better. The Tories? They won't even think of it.

And they're being given an unprecedented opportunity to reshape the country in their image with the 'Great Repeal Bill'. And they want a no deal Brexit. And all the other shit. And people queue up to vote for them.

I don't think they ever said they want a 'no deal', just that in any negotiation you have to have the option to pull out rather than just accept the worst deal possible.  She'd give her left bollock for some sort of deal but can't really say it openly.

Why do people hold Labour parties to such higher standards?

Labour produce a fully costed manifesto with plenty of good ideas, in theory, and they get pulled apart for it, including by those on their side.

The Tories produce an uncosted manifesto, u-turn multiple times and their core vote will still vote for them. 

To coin a phrase used in the States, Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line. Same thing here with Labour/Tories.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Corbyn and McDonnell are exactly the sort of college educated Lefties 

Corbyn has nothing more than a couple of A-Levels. 

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think they ever said they want a 'no deal', just that in any negotiation you have to have the option to pull out rather than just accept the worst deal possible.  She'd give her left bollock for some sort of deal but can't really say it openly.

The deal she will get is slightly better than world trade tariffs.  

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Why do people hold Labour parties to such higher standards?

Labour produce a fully costed manifesto with plenty of good ideas, in theory, and they get pulled apart for it, including by those on their side.

The Tories produce an uncosted manifesto, u-turn multiple times and their core vote will still vote for them. 

To coin a phrase used in the States, Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line. Same thing here with Labour/Tories.

My only criticism is that it hasn't worked.

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

lets see 

because of the FPP system - in terms of seats a 13 point lead may deliver the same amount of tory seats as a 20% lead. 

That really isn't the case though. It just wouldn't. 

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

You've got to remember that May deliberately used the huge lead to put in unpopular policies in the manifesto such as funding for social care so a decrease in the lead was inevitable and accounted for by her and 'her team'.  I will say if Labour manage to get fewer seats under these circumstances than under Miliband it will be a disaster.  There's still a lot of voting to do so it may not be as bad as it's being said.

On the first sentence, I'm aware of all of that, but then that's not the same as 'campaigns don't change anything' which was the point I was responding to. 

On the second, they will get fewer seats than under Miliband, I'm 95% sure of that. The extent to which it's a 'disaster' probably depends whether you're counting from 2015 or from the start of the campaign. 

Â