General Election 2017

ender4

Just now, Rodders said:

one thing that needs to change pronto, is FPTP. The idea of a safe seat regardless of colour is just so intrinsically anti-democratic and exclusionary in its make up, I actually find it absurd we still have it today, not to mention the problem of having the same vote to elect a local representative, yet is marketed ubiquitously as a judgement on who is prime minister. 

If we accept we'll always focus on a leader of some sort, then let that leader have their own election. 

Absolutely spot on.  FPTP is absolutely terrible.

Last election, SNP got 1.45m votes and have 56 seats.  Lib Dems had 2.42m votes and 8 seats.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Flip side of your coin.

Can you point out to me where I've said I'm voting for <x> because they aren't Conservative?  Or where I've said I can't vote Conservative because of what they did 30 years ago?

I'm voting on what the parties actually stand for.

Edited by bobzy

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Absolutely spot on.  FPTP is absolutely terrible.

Last election, SNP got 1.45m votes and have 56 seats.  Lib Dems had 2.42m votes and 8 seats.

careful of what you wish for, UKIP nutters got 4m votes

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yup.

The "general" vote will be for a Conservative government.  The reasoning from this forum of those voting Conservative (small selection) and my mates voting Conservative (small selection) is based on "Corbyn", "they aren't Labour".

Nothing about what the Conservatives will do or what they like about the Conservatives.

It's pathetic.  It's the general public.

I think that works both ways. I've heard 'anybody but May' a lot the last few weeks and some people are voting 'tactically' within their constituencies just to get the tories out. 

• Like 1

Just now, colhint said:

Yeah, I know.  But that's still more representative of the nation than 1 seat.  It's a fairer system, even if it brings out those people (hi Brexit).

2 minutes ago, colhint said:

And that's democracy. I don't agree with their views but they earned those votes fairly.

At the moment, it's painfully undemocratic.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Thatcher still gets blamed for everything on VT , I'd say that was more entrenched than any views on Labour :)

but I think the use of the words "disaster" and "never been able to cost anything" are fair game for anyone who has read their Manifesto ... I'm sure there is room for an "ahh but the Tory manifesto " as well  ,which is fair comment , but in the case of Corbyn it's exactly what he's saying he will do that is scaring the Bejebus out of people 

The labour manifesto looks like a manifesto from the 1970's

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

I think that works both ways. I've heard 'anybody but May' a lot the last few weeks and some people are voting 'tactically' within their constituencies just to get the tories out. 

It's works both ways to an extent - but we're under a Conservative government.  Wanting a change is different, it's anti-current policies.  There are, of course, people who are tactically voting to go against the Conservatives because of entrenched views, I don't doubt that.

My point was more that I am yet to hear anyone vote for the Conservatives in this general election because of any of their policies.  My sample (very small) completely confirms that.  The posters in this thread who have declared their vote have confirmed that.  It's entirely anti-Labour rather than pro-Conservative, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

The labour manifesto looks like a manifesto from the 1970's

What is it about it that you don't particularly like?

What is it about the Conservative one that you do like?

from a time when the disparity between the richest and poorest was was much closer? Not bad to me. Before the long era of deregulation allowed the financial sector to go nuts? Sounds good to me. It doesn't have all the answers and it is more complicated than just investment alone, but investment as one element is essential - otherwise life is going to continue becoming truly shit for a lot of people. Privatizing everything continues a spectacular asymmetry in power between the provider and the consumer. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Can you point out to me where I've said I'm voting for <x> because they aren't Conservative?  Or where I've said I can't vote Conservative because of what they did 30 years ago?

I'm voting on what the parties actually stand for.

Have you ever voted tory as you come across as a bit of a tory hater

Edited by mykeyb

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think the point @bobzy is making, and I agree from what I've been hearing, reading etc, is that in the Labour camp there are people who tick each of the boxes below, but in the Tory camp they only seem to ever tick box #2

I'm voting Labour because

1. I like Corbyn's policies
  2. I don't like the Conservatives

I'm voting Conservative because

1. I like May's policies
  2. I don't like Labour

Shouldnt there be a third option under Im voting Labour?

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

Shouldnt there be a third option under Im voting Labour?

I don't know.  Should there?

• Like 2

As someone deeply suspicious of tories, I would admit freely it would take an awful lot for me to ever vote for them at a General Election, in fact I'd probably spoil a ballot paper if I didn't like any of the alternatives. Fundamentally they are very different at their core philosophy, whereas Labour, Lib Dem, Green, and Plaid here in Wales have policies that I have sympathies for in greater measure. In my 4th GE I'll have voted for 3 different parties amongst those options. 

At a local level though, if I knew a local candidate / councillor and thought they would be good for the area and I felt he genuinely did have local issues at heart but we just differed on a couple of other policies I'd consider it, if the other candidates were spoons, but at national level? I just cannot see a likely scenario where I would be comfortable doing that. There's just too much I'm alright Jack philosophy about them. Not all of the MPs and people in the party sure, but too many of them for me to ever discount that element of it.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I also dislike the arrogance with which our current government has called a snap general election when they know they'll overwhelmingly win (having said they won't hold a snap general election, of course).  

To add to this, they've wasted weeks of valuable Article 50 time, then had the nerve to state 'We're focused on Brexit".

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think the point @bobzy is making, and I agree from what I've been hearing, reading etc, is that in the Labour camp there are people who tick each of the boxes below, but in the Tory camp they only seem to ever tick box #2

I'm voting Labour because

1. I like Corbyn's policies
  2. I don't like the Conservatives

I'm voting Conservative because

1. I like May's policies
  2. I don't like Labour

From what Im hearing people aren't voting labour because

-They don't like Corbyn

-They see labour as soft on immigration

-They don't trust labours spending plans

• Like 1

Â