• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

Is Russia going to officially declare war? 

Whilst it's obvious to the world minus some Russians that Russia is already at war, I think it isn't in Putin's interest to formally declare war against a country (or areas within) that he is claiming protection of the Russian speaking/sympathiser citizens there. Putin will know he's best seen by the Russian population as leading a 'special military operation' to protect civilians like minded to Russians from evil neo-Nazis, than declaring war on a country they see as their own anyway. A controlled population is likely to believe a 'special military operation' is much less scary, perhaps even righteous or cool, than war.

Plus, the video @desensitized43posted makes a lot of reasons against any country formally declaring war.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Imagine how fast they'll surrender, will it be before or after they shoot their own commanding officer in the back. 

Could be a challenge, as the officers will be behind them, with the guns. 

The conscripts will be up front, with knives tied to broom handles. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Imagine how fast they'll surrender, will it be before or after they shoot their own commanding officer in the back. 

It’s easy to say this, but sadly the Russians have been press-ganging people off the street in the occupied regions for months now. They know how to stop them deserting or surrendering - that’s what the Chechens are for.

It all falls apart if there’s a big battle but when the frontline is fairly static I don’t think it’s easy for Russians to get out even if they really don’t want to be there.

• Like 1

I have mixed feelings about this.

Obviously an internal uprising against this terrible regime is a good thing overall. But are they against the war? Or just against having to be the ones on the battlefield? They were mainly very quiet when Russia displaced millions of people. Quiet when schools, hospitals and tower blocks and entire towns destroyed. Quiet with the stories of large scale torture and rape of women of all ages. Quiet at the news of tens of thousands killed.

Now with the prospect of being sent over the border they have found their voices.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Obviously an internal uprising against this terrible regime is a good thing overall. But are they against the war? Or just against having to be the ones on the battlefield? They were mainly very quiet when Russia displaced millions of people. Quiet when schools, hospitals and tower blocks and entire towns destroyed. Quiet with the stories of large scale torture and rape of women of all ages. Quiet at the news of tens of thousands killed.

Now with the prospect of being sent over the border they have found their voices.

Well, protesting under a strong putin, strong chance of imprisonment or worse

protesting under a weak putin but with almost certain risk of death in war. They've got less to lose now by protesting I guess is the generous way of looking at it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Bless him but I can't be the only person who finds this photo a bit creepy? 

image.png.21592a17f4fde157616267676f9afa97.png

Not really chap. He was out there doing animal charity work wasn’t he or was that another guy? Even if it wasn’t him it’s just a guy holding a dog?

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Depends on what awareness they have to the wider picture what with their censored media and internet. Plus, y’know, torture and imprisonment for protesting. 

I am surprised how casually people are responding to Putin’s threats.

I know it wasn’t a bomb, but the guy has already technically used nuclear weapons on civilians. On British soil.

This is much closer to WWIII than I think a few of you are ready to acknowledge.

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

I know it wasn’t a bomb, but the guy has already technically used nuclear weapons on civilians. On British soil.

This is much closer to WWIII than I think a few of you are ready to acknowledge.

Meh, we can't do anything about it so why worry?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Enda said:

We've had threads on WWIII about to start as long as there has been a VT   ... I won't say it isn't going to happen , but I'd put it at a 1% chance  , and that's a lower risk of death than going bareback in the Eden Club, Bangkok 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â