Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

As soon as he drops a nuke, Moscow is destroyed in kind surely?

You would think so. I wouldn’t be surprised if our defence systems could take their missile out before it hits us, that’s if the big red button even works in Russia. The connecting wires were probably gnawed away by rats along time ago. 

Still though, I’d rather we don’t ever find out. 

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

I can't work out what sort of nuke and where it could be dropped. Surely the only nuclear option that may win him his war whilst not having Russia destroyed is to tactical nuke Kyiv. If that happens is anyone with nukes going to retaliate? I wouldn't be sure they would.

If Russia launches a nuke, the US isn't going to phone up Putin and ask him where it's headed. It doesn't work like that

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

As soon as he drops a nuke, Moscow is destroyed in kind surely?

That's the game theory problem isn't it. If Russia tried to launch a significant nuclear attack on the UK or one of our allies, the immediate thought if that MAD kicks in and Russia should be wiped off the map. Would we still do that if it was a small, tactical nuke in a specific area, and risk escalation to a global nuclear war? Probably not. Would we risk the end of the human race for Ukraine? I'm skeptical.

If he pushes that button, there are no right answers, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I can't work out what sort of nuke and where it could be dropped. Surely the only nuclear option that may win him his war whilst not having Russia destroyed is to tactical nuke Kyiv. If that happens is anyone with nukes going to retaliate? I wouldn't be sure they would.

That’s true. I was thinking of an attack on the UK. I do wonder what the threshold for a direct attack by NATO would be, we know that an attack on a NATO member would invoke article five (I think it’s that one), but would tactical nukes in Ukraine? 

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s true. I was thinking of an attack on the UK. I do wonder what the threshold for a direct attack by NATO would be, we know that an attack on a NATO member would invoke article five (I think it’s that one), but would tactical nukes in Ukraine? 

Use of a tactical Nuke in Ukraine is likely to severely affect NATO countries like Poland. It doesn't matter where the epicentre of the blast is

Nukes are a bluff. Once used all lose. Even the idea of the 'tactical' nuke is ridiculous, as if 'just' leveling a city or a battlefield is justifiable, and won't lead to a breaking of the nuclear taboo that leads to the developed world being glassed.

It's a 'strongman' posturing. He's been shown up and he's struggling, he's threatening to throw the board over as he's blown the game. The daft thing is he's got far more useful tools available to him, but they don't portray the image he wants in the same way. If he really wants to hurt his enemies in the West, play the energy and oil commodities game harder. But economic hammerings aren't as attention grabbing as 'biiiiiiig kaboom'.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Biden has already said that if Putin uses a nuke he will have US troops on the front line in Ukraine within 24 hours.  
Russia has absolutely no allies of any significance who are willing to fight for it. 
This is Putin’s last throw of the dice.  His last chance to come away with a victory.  

• Like 2

This is a new one (I think!). 

The former head of the Moscow Aviation Institute has died after falling down "several flights of stairs," the institute reported Wednesday.

Scientist Anatoly Gerashchenko, 72, "fell from a great height," according to the university, which described his death in the Russian capital as an accident.

Newsweek

54 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Biden has already said that if Putin uses a nuke he will have US troops on the front line in Ukraine within 24 hours.   

Didn't see that. Glad.

Russian airlines now stopping all ticket sales to men 18-65. That'll put the wind up a lot of folks, 'partial' mobilisation now seeming a bit impartial. 

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Didn't see that. Glad.

Russian airlines now stopping all ticket sales to men 18-65. That'll put the wind up a lot of folks, 'partial' mobilisation now seeming a bit impartial. 

Only the idiots wouldn’t have seen this coming and left already.

Â