Russia and its “Special Operation” in Ukraine

maqroll

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It won’t be anti war peaceniks who oust Putin, it will be the hardliners in his inner circle who see him as failing the country with his weakness.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

It’s possible there will be an anti war coup, but the main criticism from “influential” people is that Putin/Russia has done things badly in conducting the war, not that the aims and whole idea was wrong. They’re hardliners who want more ruthless killing and destruction of Ukrainians and the west. If one of those were to get the top gig…

I don’t know. The idea of war has been proven to be a monumentally stupid idea. Not just how it’s been executed, they just can’t compete against the RoW

Nobody could come in and make the invasion a success. The West are pushing Russia back without getting out of second gear.

Russia’s economy is screwed and the people are turning on the powers that be. To think the rest of the world would allow Russia to invade Ukraine was and would remain a complete no chance.

• Replies 18.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

13 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It won’t be anti war peaceniks who oust Putin, it will be the hardliners in his inner circle who see him as failing the country with his weakness.

It'll be the military. It's been a shitshow so far - but the military hold a large percentage of power and no way will they let the Wagner words removed take over. 

• Like 1

A lad I know joined The Army. Thought it was something he really wanted to do. Went through the proper British Army training, the full monty. 

Enjoyed it until he got to Afghanistan and people started actually shooting at him. He properly shit himself and bought himself out first opportunity he got. 

Imagine how this lot who don't even want to be there, don't know why they're there and have had zero training are going to react when the bullets start flying. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It’s possible there will be an anti war coup, but the main criticism from “influential” people is that Putin/Russia has done things badly in conducting the war, not that the aims and whole idea was wrong. They’re hardliners who want more ruthless killing and destruction of Ukrainians and the west. If one of those were to get the top gig…

This cognitive dissonance is very familiar

• Like 1

British forces headed to the Falklands with overwhelming approval of the British Public.  British people had been attacked by "Johnny Foreigner."  The Falklands was British even though no-one had heard of it a few months before. The public wanted to show Argentina who was boss. The armed forces wanted to prove themselves.  

We ultimately won with low casualties but significant loses of warships.  

But had things gone wrong and we  lost a significant amount of the army, would we have found a large number of ex-soldiers, Territorials and new recruits wanting to get stuck in? 

Undoubtedly. 

Would we have seen people do anything possible to avoid fighting?

Undoubtedly. 

The only real difference between the UK and Russia is that our armed forces are very unlikely to overthrow a democratic government. 

But its not surprising that that majority of Russians still support the war.  We'd do the same. 

• Like 1

It also goes without saying that most Russians see things from a different perspective from the western view.

It is true that southern Ukraine used to be a part of Russia and many people in that region still have strong family links and identify as Russians. Many Russians consider it to have been a bureaucratic anomaly that it ended up being a part of Ukraine, but it didn’t matter too much because Ukrainian governments were always friendly with Moscow. Until the Ukraine maiden where the Ukrainian government turned towards the EU and away from Russia.

There will be plenty in Russia who now see it as a ‘just war’ to liberate the ‘Russian’ parts of Ukraine.

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Jeez, imagine if you or I had to bear arms for a war imposed by a tory government onto our nearest highly motivated neighbour (Ireland?) where many people have family links. A - I'd be absolutely shitting it, B - I would do everything I could think of to escape, C - in an actual battle I'd cave immediately and probably be shot for not fighting. How does Putin think 300,000 of these types of people are going to achieve anything? Money doesn't even talk anymore, all those who signed up for a short contract are now forcibly there permanently, money is meaningless. There must be absolutely zero motivation to get involved. 

Hey, don't be getting any ideas!

And don't tell anyone we barely have a military at all.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

British forces headed to the Falklands with overwhelming approval of the British Public.  British people had been attacked by "Johnny Foreigner."  The Falklands was British even though no-one had heard of it a few months before. The public wanted to show Argentina who was boss. The armed forces wanted to prove themselves.  

We ultimately won with low casualties but significant loses of warships.  

But had things gone wrong and we  lost a significant amount of the army, would we have found a large number of ex-soldiers, Territorials and new recruits wanting to get stuck in? 

Undoubtedly. 

Would we have seen people do anything possible to avoid fighting?

Undoubtedly. 

The only real difference between the UK and Russia is that our armed forces are very unlikely to overthrow a democratic government. 

But its not surprising that that majority of Russians still support the war.  We'd do the same. 

There are definitely parallels between Britain and Russia - similar imperial histories, countries constantly looking at the past rather than the future. We are not the same now but the sentiment that fuels Russian people also fuels us (well ok over 50 year olds). But that's where it ends, their leader can't be deposed and is a maniac, we have Liz Truss - I mean who would accept her as a leader in any other country?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PieFacE said:

As far as I can tell it's largely just a giant bluff to try and prevent the West from providing Ukraine with weapons, intelligence and general support. And it also won't work. If anything it will have the opposite effect.

Putin has just played this whole thing badly, NATO is probably the most unified and the strongest it's been for a long long time. It feels to me (as someone who knows very little about the whole thing) that everything Putin wanted to achieve has completely backfired and the opposite outcomes have generally happened. It seems he and Russia grossly miscalculated the situation. 

But then, as stated, I know very little about the whole thing compared to others so could be very wrong. 

It depends what you think, but Putin can't be that stupid. He knows what he's doing 

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

It depends what you think, but Putin can't be that stupid. He knows what he's doing 

Russia can nuke folks, but he cannot nuke the entire world, who oppose him. Pointless death. Russia always lose.

Also there is the military, he has hardly won them over as a battle commander. Why would they take orders from him now - they lose again. He's in the shit and I predict (wtf do I know) military rule very soon. They have the guns. 

Edited by Jareth

Â