Villan4Life

15 hours ago, nnock1984 said:

Imagine this team:

Johnstone

Bree      Chester          Terry         Taylor

Jedi

Snodgrass        Onomah        Hourihane

Davis       Kodjia

Steer, DeLaet, Clark, Samba, Whelan, O'Hare, Lyden, Lansbury, Green, Adomah, Hogan

You know what... I wish we'd kept Scott Sinclair. At the time I was totally onboard selling him, but that was on the back of that dreadful PL season. I think he'd do well at this level, as he has done in the Scottish 'league'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

You know what... I wish we'd kept Scott Sinclair. At the time I was totally onboard selling him, but that was on the back of that dreadful PL season. I think he'd do well at this level, as he has done in the Scottish 'league'.

Might have been a different story last year - both him and Kodjia would have got 20 goals.  A front 3 of Adomah, Kodjia and Sinclair would have been interesting to watch.

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

We wanted to keep him, he wanted out.

I didn't want him to go at the time, I always thought he was over criticised in his time here.

3 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Might have been a different story last year - both him and Kodjia would have got 20 goals.  A front 3 of Adomah, Kodjia and Sinclair would have been interesting to watch.

Perhaps... I know there's no point in thinking what could've been but I think he would've done well at this level. 

I remember being frustrated with him during that PL season where he would go missing, and just be walking around one corner of the pitch... but he does seem a total confidence player, if he bangs a few goals in then he'll score many more. Ah well, he's not the be all and end all, but could've been helpful.

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The Scottish league he is in is a much lower standard than the Championship. That's why he's able to score a few up there, he wouldn't be any better than adomah at this level and would probably be worse. 

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We wanted to keep him, he wanted out.

I didn't want him to go at the time, I always thought he was over criticised in his time here.

Ah, I didn't know it was a case of the player wanting away. In those cases there's little point keeping a player when they have no desire. Still, shame for both parties really as could've worked out well. I suppose he's got CL football now... although it's all a bit hollow when you're the only team in the league!

Edited by alreadyexists

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

The Scottish league he is in is a much lower standard than the Championship. That's why he's able to score a few up there, he wouldn't be any better than adomah at this level and would probably be worse. 

When good/half decent players go to the Scottish league it's a bit like playing Champ Manager and cheating, at first it must be fun to win a bit, but then if you win every week because there's no challenge what's the point?

I'm so glad to see the likes of Davis, Green, Clark, O'Hare, JDH coming in and playing well. It's showing that we DO have talent in our U23s/U18s squad, that our development IS working, and more importantly we can keep the likes of Gabby, Richards, Samba, Hutton etc... out of the line-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I'm not going to defend the SPL, that would be bonkers, but watching Celtic a lot I think the principal difference is that he's playing in a team with better "footballers" around him. Playing against weaker teams? Yeah, of course.

It's also a lot easier to motivate yourself when you regularly have 60,000 seats full of the most passionate supporters you'll ever find behind you, are idolised by fans, play for the best team by far and away in the league and have the opportunity to play in the Champions League. Celtic will not embarrass themselves, once again, in that competition this year. I can totally understand why he wanted to exit VP stage left when he did, Villa's loss unfortunately.

I watch Sinclair, I see a quality footballer and again come away from it thinking Villa had somehow broken another decent footballer.

Edited by Edinburgh-Villa

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

28 goals in 40 starts (including europe) is more than a few

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Scott has been underappreciated in my view.

He always showed glimpses of what he could do and was never "terrible".

Good eye for goal and a pass.

Just had to take the flak with the rest for our dire team and season at the time as you pointed out.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Even Hutton looked good in the Scottish league ;)

• Like 1

I know retrospective can dig up different feelings on players depending on whether they are doing good at other clubs but Sinclair was anonymous in a considerable amount of games for Villa, how many times was he taken off after doing **** all? He always 'looked' like he could do more but rarely actually did. Doing well in the scottish league is hardly a sign of a player at all to be honest, pace in poorer leagues is a huge advantage but in higher levels you'll get found out if you don't have the brain to go with it. He hardly got a game for WBA either as well.

• Like 1