Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

11 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

You know what... I wish we'd kept Scott Sinclair. At the time I was totally onboard selling him, but that was on the back of that dreadful PL season. I think he'd do well at this level, as he has done in the Scottish 'league'.

I agree too. But he did have a terrible season (as did every player in the squad)

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

We really have a monster squad now (with or without Snodgrass), we really should do something this season. No excuses for Bruce now.

But unfortunately, you can only play 11

But,you can win the league with squad of  14

:)

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Let's not rewrite history.

Sinclair is doing well now, but he was absolute toilet for us.

Totally agree, I was all for him going to Celtic, and pleased with the money we got in (was it £5m or something?). ...but on reflection, I think he could've done well at the level we are at now. All guess work and pointless really, but I think he might've done well here last season. 

14 hours ago, thunderball said:

We really have a monster squad now (with or without Snodgrass), we really should do something this season. No excuses for Bruce now.

yeah its been a bit quiet on the players out front. Would like to see the squad trimmed a little. Maybe the board are banking on some desperate parties come January to pay some inflated prices? 

Or maybe the ones we want out are genuinely unsellable :(

Our squad is ridiculous. The wheels are set to come off even earlier than it already looked like they would. I think if we get Snodgrass and one more in we need to shift potentially 10 players in a week and I can't see any of the 10 I'd like to see go actually getting a move. 

On top of this an alarming amount of our younger players who are showing talent don't seem to be moving on either. Concerns me. I think Davis and co need a full season under their belt and they aren't going to get it with a heaving 50 man squad full of overpaid experienced pro's

7 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Our squad is ridiculous. The wheels are set to come off even earlier than it already looked like they would. I think if we get Snodgrass and one more in we need to shift potentially 10 players in a week and I can't see any of the 10 I'd like to see go actually getting a move. 

On top of this an alarming amount of our younger players who are showing talent don't seem to be moving on either. Concerns me. I think Davis and co need a full season under their belt and they aren't going to get it with a heaving 50 man squad full of overpaid experienced pro's

Fair enough, I'm not at all concerned, adding players like Snodgrass on a one season loan also not a concern, quite the opposite. 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Fair enough, I'm not at all concerned, adding players like Snodgrass on a one season loan also not a concern, quite the opposite. 

I think Snodgrass will be a good edition to our squad definitely. Looking forward to seeing him in a Villa shirt. 

• Like 1

Are we even expecting to shift anymore of our players? I know McCormack going to Sunderland is dependant on us getting Snodgrass, but, has there been any interest in players that we want to sell? 

Edited by Tayls
Typo

35 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How much would it cost to cancel some contracts as Leeds have done with doukara??

I suppose the problem with that is that if we buy them out now then that money is lost all from this years finances, rather than drip fed away over several seasons, so from an FFP point of view it's probably less viable than simply running down the contracts. 

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Are we even expecting to shift anymore of our players? I know McCormack going to Sunderland is dependant on us getting Snodgrass, but, has there been any interest in players that we want to sell? 

Seems to me the championship is chocca with teams who have to wheel and deal and swap about 10 players every season - I've no doubt someone will come in for the players who want to move - i.e. Gardner, elphick...

On 23/08/2017 at 23:18, Stevo985 said:

Let's not rewrite history.

Sinclair is doing well now, but he was absolute toilet for us.

I don't think people are. I don't think anyone is saying he was great for us, or even remotely close to being his performances were largely average I don't subscribe to the 'toilet' description.

Some we're sorry to see him go at the time as they thought he was a better player than we had seen here (there have been a few of them) and I was one of those, in this league he could have been a effective player for us.

But that ship sailed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How much would it cost to cancel some contracts as Leeds have done with doukara??

Depends if the player is willing to cancel. If they are you come to a compromise agreement to pay up some of the remaining contract, if they don't agree you are looking at paying the lot off so wages, plus bonuses.

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think people are. I don't think anyone is saying he was great for us, or even remotely close to being his performances were largely average I don't subscribe to the 'toilet' description.

Some we're sorry to see him go at the time as they thought he was a better player than we had seen here (there have been a few of them) and I was one of those, in this league he could have been a effective player for us.

But that ship sailed.

Oh I think he would have been ok in this league. I agree there. 

But I'll stick by my opinion of how he played in the prem for us. 

**** toilet. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tayls said:

Clubs know we need to sell. We have players who are clearly not in our plans. The longer they wait, the more they can chip off the price, get some subsidy on wages I guess.

I think we'll see McCormack out on loan, Elphick and Gardner sold probably,  and then maybe another loan or two after that but no more.