Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

51 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Think you will be pleased on that front... soon too

Good to hear. I know many fans aren't happy with this signing as it's not the most glamorous and he is getting on. But I think this could be one of best signings in terms of having somebody who will Marshall the midfield to allow the likes of Houriane, Lansbury etc push forward. 

Lets not forget this guy has been an ever present player in a mid table Premier League team for years! 

Another potential fringe benefit of signing Elmohamady is that surely it pushes Bacuna further down the pecking order and closer to the exit door.  I know he has a tenuous role in and around midfield too, but if Whelan is also looking likely then that bodes well in that regard too.

• Like 4

If us and Blues manage to sign all the players we are currently linked with the derby game will be like a testimonial game to some early 2000 PL legend.

Villa Bruce - Terry, Whelan, Samba, Elmohamady, Jedinak, Hutton, Gabby... Vs Blues Redknapp - Cole, Downing, Keane, Kuszczak, Robinson...

10 years ago those would have been 2 solid teams :D

Edited by sne

4 minutes ago, sne said:

If us and Blues manage to sign all the players we are currently linked with the derby game will be like a testimonial game to some early 2000 PL legend.

Villa Bruce - Terry, Whelan, Samba, Terry, Elmohamady, Jedinak, Hutton, Gabby... Vs Blues Redknapp - Cole, Downing, Keane, Kuszczak, Robinson...

10 years ago those would have been 2 solid teams :D

John Terry, so good you have to name him twice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

John Terry, so good you have to name him twice.

Haha yeah.

Edited now.

Was supposed to say Barry, but we haven't actually been linked to him, have we.

Not too worried about signing Whelan and Elmo... End of the day they are cheap, experienced, hard working players who'll provide competition/cover for a couple of positions we're low on numbers for i.e. Right wing where we only have Adomah (currently injured) - presuming Bruce see's Green as predominantly a left winger.  And that vital midfield anchor position which we know Jedi can't do all season long on his own.  If anything this is sensible management - which if it wasn't done, we'd all be lambasting Bruce for come mid October.

Interesting to speculate on who the doctor is referring to in the (85%+0%+50%)/3 part of his equation though.  I would hope it's players of true quality who would instantly add something extra to the first XI, we surely don't need any more squad fillers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Haha yeah.

Edited now.

Was supposed to say Barry, but we haven't actually been linked to him, have we.

Sources close to DaveAV1 believe that representatives of Gareth Barry share a postman with the uncle of Steve Bruce's wife's hairdresser's best mates cousin. Fixed!

I really don't give a **** who we sign nowadays. Too many times in recent memory have I gotten excited or dissapointed about who we do or  don't sign and invariably my initial joy & excitement or displeasure is proven wrong. I'm personally going to sit back, relax and let the season pan out as will be whilst trying to enjoy supporting the club overall rather than the 11 individuals on the pitch. The sum is greater than the parts (hopefully). 

We've tried various approaches to player recruitment over the years and we finished 13th in the championship last season so I dunno what the best way forward is. Old or young it doesn't really matter as long as we get promoted. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Interesting to speculate on who the doctor is referring to in the (85%+0%+50%)/3 part of his equation though.  I would hope it's players of true quality who would instantly add something extra to the first XI, we surely don't need any more squad fillers.

guess we are looking at 3 possible targets for one position

Edited by supermon