Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

It's a pity that "the status quo" is by default the "right opinion" and that those who express an alternative opinion are labelled ". . . bad boys of the forum . . ."

Nobody likes the guy who tries to choose his own nickname :P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Brentford will not finish above Villa.

was we ever in for Ollie Watkins?

why would we inhibit the progress of Andre Green

very favourable reports coming from Andre.

I'm sure you said the same at the beginning of last season. Just remember we took a whopping one point of Brentford, and got embarrassed at their place.

We continue to be interested in players who are 30+ years of age. Some youth would be nice.

5 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

I'm sure you said the same at the beginning of last season. Just remember we took a whopping one point of Brentford, and got embarrassed at their place.

We continue to be interested in players who are 30+ years of age. Some youth would be nice.

The first game where Bruce flooded all the new players together? I bet you that wont happen next season.  

• Like 1

Forget signing some whiz kid or whoever who may not get game time for a while. we are told we have some decent youngsters so how about we blood them ? Give em a chance 

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

And this is the problem with Villa fans right here. I don't think any team has worse "support" from its fans. 

I couldn't agree with you less.

Say what you will about different people's opinions, everyone on here is passionate in their support of the villa. Everyone has different ideas about what is good for the club and everyone has different expectations, but we all support villa and are desperate for them to do well.

Supporting the manager, staff, owner and players is a different thing entirely and something I don't subscribe to. If I believe a player or manager to be no good for the club I won't be singing their name from the stands every match in order to be seen as a "true fan". 

Just to clarify. I think Bruce is the right man for the job and I think we've got a squad capable of winning the title, I am happy with villa at the moment. I don't see things the same way as Grasshopper but I do know he's not ranting on about Bruce because he's bad at being a Villa fan 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

We introduced a couple of new signings in that away game, even so - we could have been a few goals up within the first twenty minutes. It will be a different story next season, Bruce and the boys will remember that night.

We have signed ONE player who is over 30+ so far, a guy who has won everything and recently won the Premier League. It is like people have forgotten about our signings in January, and Green/Grealish/Hepburn-Murphy all signing new deals. Time we used our academy effectively, which Bruce has done so already with Green & Davis. We need a mix of youth & experience.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Why ?

I mean, I couldn't care less how old or young our players are.

I would agree if we get promoted it might be an issue but if I win a billion pounds I might have an issue deciding on my next car- nice problem to have and let's get there first.

As for their age in itself I don't see it matters.

To give an old fogey example I have absolutely no idea of the average age of our title winning side, nor their individual ages. Nor any idea of any other Winning team.

Who cares? 

Ability, character, fitting in with the team, attitude, yes, age ? No.

Will be surprised if Bruce targets any more young players with a view to playing them in the 1st team this coming season. He is under tremendous pressure to secure promotion hence the signing of Terry, the mooted interest in Whelan and other more experienced players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I'm of the opposite view bizarrely. I only expected a few quality incoming and Terry so far has fitted that billing.

we have 3 of the top goal scorers in this league over the last couple of seasons with Kodjia, Ross and Hogan. We have some of the form midfielders from last season who we brought in January. We have a mean defence and added a winner and experience in Terry to that. With Johnstone coming back we are ok there.

Down the wings I'm more concerned about depending on what system we play.

depth, I think we have so many players it's crazy.

so we need to get a way of playing that works for us which we haven't found yet and we need more creativity whether from the players we have that suddenly click or some new players.

overall though this window is going as I expected. Bedding down the players we have with a full preseason together. A few sprinklings of new quality players with some players leaving but overall a settled squad. Now it's about getting them to work together.

I don't think we're of an entirely opposite view. As I said, I don't think we're too far away from a good squad that can challenge. My major concern lies in whether we are buying to fit a system or just buying because we recognise a name and it sounds reliable. 

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Experience is needed. Huddersfield got promoted with a 35 year old Dean Whitehead in midfield, whilst Brighton have a right back pushing 40 and was considered one of the best in the league. 

Agree , whilst not being the most popular of prospective signings it could well be that whelan and Elmo play big roles in getting us promoted - they are short term targets to help get us up and then we will look to upgrade in the premiership.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Why ?

I mean, I couldn't care less how old or young our players are.

I would agree if we get promoted it might be an issue but if I win a billion pounds I might have an issue deciding on my next car- nice problem to have and let's get there first.

Terrible analogy.

Winning a billion pounds is an entire positive.  If we get promoted (positive) with a bunch of older players who can't progress further, we'll need to replace almost an entire squad (negative).

People are talking as if our team is a bunch of youngsters with no experience - it's entirely wrong.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Terrible analogy.

Winning a billion pounds is an entire positive.  If we get promoted (positive) with a bunch of older players who can't progress further, we'll need to replace almost an entire squad (negative).

People are talking as if our team is a bunch of youngsters with no experience - it's entirely wrong.

Whether you personally like the analogy doesn't make it terrible lol....- it says what it says and there's a billion ways of saying it - all it's saying is the time to worry about later is later.

Im saying choosing the car isn't an issue while I don't have the money, and for mr how we do in the Premier League with older players - if we bought them - isn't an issue while we aren't there.

So I'm fine with my analogy thanks.

All we need IMO is a team to get promoted- they could all be aged 50 for all I care.

Now, you may disagree, you may think we need to worry about it now, which is fine - I don't.

Look, you need to assemble squads for different purposes. They can and will change over time and the players we are able to get in will too, dependent on where we find ourselves. Everyone wants us to sign a 16 year old Villa fan wonderkid who'll cost a tenner, play for nothing and stay with us for 20 years but that just doesn't happen very often and we need to be realistic about our targets and what our goals are. The utmost priority must go to getting promoted and it's better to sign players who can do a job in the short term, even on a one year deal, than to sign someone for 4 years who is good enough now but probably won't be going forward and will only be a pain to get rid of later. 

I'm all for one year deals for experienced professionals if they can do the job - we can worry about the longer term when we're able to attract better players because we're in the prem again. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Whether you personally like the analogy doesn't make it terrible lol....- it says what it says and there's a billion ways of saying it - all it's saying is the time to worry about later is later.

Im saying choosing the car isn't an issue while I don't have the money, and for mr how we do in the Premier League with older players - if we bought them - isn't an issue while we aren't there.

So I'm fine with my analogy thanks.

All we need IMO is a team to get promoted- they could all be aged 50 for all I care.

Now, you may disagree, you may think we need to worry about it now, which is fine - I don't.

Having no plan and having an unsettled squad/management is part of the reason we're in this mess already.  We don't need to bring in a bunch of older players only to need to replace them and start again next season - which would be the situation we'd be in, promotion or otherwise.

(Which is why your analogy is "terrible"* and doesn't work).

* - Accept terrible is harsh, sorry.  I've used it now though... :P 

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

Having no plan and having an unsettled squad/management is part of the reason we're in this mess already.  We don't need to bring in a bunch of older players only to need to replace them and start again next season - which would be the situation we'd be in, promotion or otherwise.

(Which is why your analogy is terrible and doesn't apply, by the way).

No, it's why YOU don't like the analogy. As I've said, it says what I want and I posted it !!!!!

You can say you don't agree with it, but you can't say I don't !!!!!

Secondly, your argument is NOT evidence that my analogy is wrong - even if such a thing were possible- it's just evidence that you don't agree with me.

And what a better chat we'd be having if you stuck to disagreeing rather than trying to tell me I'm wrong lol.

So, eventually, to the substance of your comment- you are saying having no plan etc is why we are in a mess. Fine. I partly agree.

You presumably then make the leap to saying buying 'older' players = this again . Well, for me, it doesn't. 

Thirdly you seem by implication to therefore be saying if we only get promoted with older players you'd prefer us not to.

Again I disagree.

I repeat, in MY view it doesn't matter how we do it we just need to go up.

A bit like someone doesn't need to concern themselves over what they would do with a billion pounds until they've got it.

Hmmm, come to think of it I like that analogy...

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

When people moan about reading 'the same stuff' over and again I'm reminded of Fawlty Towers.."What's that ?"......."That is Torquay madam"....."Well it's not good enough"......."May I ask what you were expecting to see from a Torquay Hotel bedroom window ? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon ? Herds of Wildebeast sweeping majestically over the plains ?"

( I think that's right)

I think he says "Herds of Wildebeast sweeping majestically across the plain." ;)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, terrytini said:

When people moan about reading 'the same stuff' over and again I'm reminded of Fawlty Towers.."What's that ?"......."That is Torquay madam"....."Well it's not good enough"......."May I ask what you were expecting to see from a Torquay Hotel bedroom window ? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon ? Herds of Wildebeast sweeping majestically over the plains ?"

( I think that's right)

Why on earth would anyone NOT expect to read similar views being expressed repeatedly on a fans Forum ?

I think that is right. God I love Fawlty Towers, that's a great episode too.

• Like 2