Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Shouldn't we give him a chance to start a season and see how he gets on? 

you are free to give him a chance if you want.

Does that mean I have to too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Agreed the money being asked for players has gone through the roof. Player valuations are crazy but if you want a player you either prepare to pay more than he is worth or to do without that player who in turn stays where he is or moves somewhere else.  

Which is exactly why we should be investing more in top coaches and scouts to spot, bring through and develop our own future £50m players instead of just shelling out the owners fortunes on overrated players.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Im really concerned about the way we are approaching the window, it has to be one of the most uninspiring in recent times. Last summer we were pretty big spending but 'BUY ALL THE STRIKERS' policy didnt work, so in January we went for buying players in form who already played in this league but we just couldnt put them in a system that worked. We seem to be blindly stumbling around in the dark trying to find a transfer policy that works going into the biggest season weve had in years, with a manager that doesnt seem to know what system to play with the players he currently has, never mind a few more chucked in on top of that. 

We have players to sell that no one wants. And everyone knows we need to sell them to do any proper business. 

Id love to feel optimistic but i just cant help feeling we are chucking away another season. Im not convinced we are that far away in terms of squad, so maybe my concerns lie more with the system and the manager. But beyond that we still havent got that identity as a club. A system we stick with and buy players to suit. A system that will work in the championship and not have to be torn up and re-done if/when we get promoted. The article above sums up my fear really, its all short term and we know how that ends. 

Very good post and about where I'm at currently concerning the Villa. Will be watching the last couple of games in pre season to see if Bruce has intergrated the players into a system that is more offensive and suits the players better than last season.

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Im really concerned about the way we are approaching the window, it has to be one of the most uninspiring in recent times. Last summer we were pretty big spending but 'BUY ALL THE STRIKERS' policy didnt work, so in January we went for buying players in form who already played in this league but we just couldnt put them in a system that worked. We seem to be blindly stumbling around in the dark trying to find a transfer policy that works going into the biggest season weve had in years, with a manager that doesnt seem to know what system to play with the players he currently has, never mind a few more chucked in on top of that. 

We have players to sell that no one wants. And everyone knows we need to sell them to do any proper business. 

Id love to feel optimistic but i just cant help feeling we are chucking away another season. Im not convinced we are that far away in terms of squad, so maybe my concerns lie more with the system and the manager. But beyond that we still havent got that identity as a club. A system we stick with and buy players to suit. A system that will work in the championship and not have to be torn up and re-done if/when we get promoted. The article above sums up my fear really, its all short term and we know how that ends. 

Top post

20 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Which is exactly why we should be investing more in top coaches and scouts to spot, bring through and develop our own future £50m players instead of just shelling out the owners fortunes on overrated players.

Did you Sea who we signed ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

I'm of the opposite view bizarrely. I only expected a few quality incoming and Terry so far has fitted that billing.

we have 3 of the top goal scorers in this league over the last couple of seasons with Kodjia, Ross and Hogan. We have some of the form midfielders from last season who we brought in January. We have a mean defence and added a winner and experience in Terry to that. With Johnstone coming back we are ok there.

Down the wings I'm more concerned about depending on what system we play.

depth, I think we have so many players it's crazy.

so we need to get a way of playing that works for us which we haven't found yet and we need more creativity whether from the players we have that suddenly click or some new players.

overall though this window is going as I expected. Bedding down the players we have with a full preseason together. A few sprinklings of new quality players with some players leaving but overall a settled squad. Now it's about getting them to work together.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

It's a pity that "the status quo" is by default the "right opinion" and that those who express an alternative opinion are labelled "wrong - bad boys of the forum - banging on ......etc"

To be fair the comments about banging on too much are because of banging on too much ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

If you are asking me whether I think you should give him a chance, of course I do. I don't see why any Villa fan wouldn't. He isn't leaving the club, he is starting the season as our manager therefore I would think most Villa fans would give him a chance to see how he does.

Do I think you will? Absolutely not :mrgreen:

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If you are asking me whether I think you should give him a chance, of course I do. I don't see why any Villa fan wouldn't. He isn't leaving the club, he is starting the season as our manager therefore I would think most Villa fans would give him a chance to see how he does.

Do I think you will? Absolutely not :mrgreen:

Be prepared to be surprised

2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

And this is the problem with Villa fans right here. I don't think any team has worse "support" from its fans. 

1 hour ago, praisedmambo said:

To be fair the comments about banging on too much are because of banging on too much ;)

I don't agree with all of GH views but ffs why on earth shouldn't he post as often as he likes and in response to anything at all that he feels he wants to comment on ?

If what he posts is inappropriate in any way there are Mods.

Its a forum, it's not the wife. It's meant to be a place where people bang on.

And it's NOT all the same. For example he just posted a lengthy reply about whether systems matter ( which I happen to agree with ) which only includes references to Bruce because it's relevant.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

And this is the problem with Villa fans right here. I don't think any team has worse "support" from its fans. 

?

How would you know a thing like that ?

Wenger ?

Why should it be viewed as a negative in respect of supporting the Club if he's judging him on what he's seen ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Jedinak to qpr in the mirror. Can't see anything on the website. Any one have the paper?

That is currently being discussed in Jedinak's own topic. There is a link to the club site that indicates the original source is "The Daily Star". This cannot be true. Why would we let him go given how bad we looked last season when we played without him?

Jedi won't be going unless he wants to. Not sure we will miss him too much if he does leave though. I would prefer he stays, but despite being Wonderful, he is a bit one dimensional.

I think we are good to go this season, even if nothing much changes.