Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

age v youth.. its very clear that big T likes the look of how southampton model set up is ..however its looking more like hes looking like its going down the get out this league 1st option fast track, even with terry on board im not 100% convinced in the midfield , do we know our best midfield? if theirs a better time to bring back barry now this is it, if barry returns your pretty much got play offs at least.

Barry is just a handful of games away from the all time record, no chance he's dropping down to the championship.

Though I do agree he's the exact type of player we are missing, and thought we were signing in Lansbury, maybe he will come good this season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, beachboys1 said:

hi new here  first post   not expecting many more  just need more attacking  tacticks  like to see a winger but but happy with terry and give johnston a chance

you can only employ attacking tactics when your defence is right......otherwise you leave yourself wide open......eg RDM

We are getting that right, so expect a more offensive approach this term.

• Like 1

We don't need Barry, and we certainly do not need Whelan. We have a enough depth in midfield, especially if Veretout stays.

Don't think we need anymore strikers either. As things stand, I'd only be looking for an additional winger, or a utility player to play on the right. 

Whatever money we'll still spend, is hopefully on a long-term investment.

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

Barry is just a handful of games away from the all time record, no chance he's dropping down to the championship.

Though I do agree he's the exact type of player we are missing, and thought we were signing in Lansbury, maybe he will come good this season.

My thoughts too

I still think, Terry will have an effect on Hourihane and Lansbury......hoping so too.

They were too pre-occupied with the defensive side of our game last season......I think they will be set free more now.

• Like 1

John Terry, is very young fact.

.......well, he's younger than me:)

ps Is he really older than any of our posters?...nah!

pps apologies wrong thread.

Edited by TRO

22 minutes ago, vreitti said:

We don't need Barry, and we certainly do not need Whelan. We have a enough depth in midfield, especially if Veretout stays.

Don't think we need anymore strikers either. As things stand, I'd only be looking for an additional winger, or a utility player to play on the right. 

Whatever money we'll still spend, is hopefully on a long-term investment.

I have a feeling you'll be disappointed, because I can see us signing Whelan in the next few weeks.

I watched the Steve Bruce pre-season interview this morning, and I do see where he's coming from. We have a lot of young/twenties players in the team, many of which don't have experience of a promotion. He commented that last year we needed a bit more experience, and I tend to agree with him.

How often last season did we come out of games thinking 'we played well/ we were the better team", and yet we've only got 1/0 points? Other games we went ahead and then lost the lead. It makes sense that a bit more experience through the team could have seen us through in those games.

Jedinak, Chester & Adomah were the only regulars players in the team that I would class as having that proven experience of promotion or higher levels of football and pressure. Throw Whelan and Terry into this team and I think it becomes instantly stronger, even if they don't play every game or even the full 90 when they do play.

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I have a feeling you'll be disappointed, because I can see us signing Whelan in the next few weeks.

I watched the Steve Bruce pre-season interview this morning, and I do see where he's coming from. We have a lot of young/twenties players in the team, many of which don't have experience of a promotion. He commented that last year we needed a bit more experience, and I tend to agree with him.

How often last season did we come out of games thinking 'we played well/ we were the better team", and yet we've only got 1/0 points? Other games we went ahead and then lost the lead. It makes sense that a bit more experience through the team could have seen us through in those games.

Jedinak, Chester & Adomah were the only regulars players in the team that I would class as having that proven experience of promotion or higher levels of football and pressure. Throw Whelan and Terry into this team and I think it becomes instantly stronger, even if they don't play every game or even the full 90 when they do play.

I am hoping we get Whelan or a whelan type of player who can help us contain the opposition to gain control.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

We need a versatile winger who can play either flank.

dont know whether adomah is injured for today following a hefty challenge at Telford but without him we are limited in options out wide.

I am hoping Andre steps up to the plate......( he should do his fitness training with Chris Eubank Jnr, amazing dedication)

I favour us playing with one winger, who can drift from one flank to another like morley and act like a pesky mosquito, never letting them rest.

i guess i am edging towards 4-3-3

Edited by TRO

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

My thoughts too

I still think, Terry will have an effect on Hourihane and Lansbury......hoping so too.

They were too pre-occupied with the defensive side of our game last season......I think they will be set free more now.

Do you really think an ageing Terry can change the balance of our entire squad?

I mean i genuinely hope youre right. But im a lot less certain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am hoping Andre steps up to the plate.

I favour us playing with one winger, who can drift from one flank to another like morley and act like a pesky mosquito, never letting them rest.

Both Adomah and Green have injury problems and between them wont play all the league games. 

What would plan b be?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am hoping we get Whelan or a whelan type of player who can help us contain the opposition to gain control.

I can see Bruce's point in this regard, and I partially agree we need a Whelan type player for the future, but I'm still hoping it won't be Whelan.

• Like 1

Experienced managers like pulis and Hughes have relied on whelan for years and he's played nearly 300 premier games as a regular starter plus has over 80 international caps , he's not spectacaular but similar to Kevin Richardson for me In that he will do  his job and provide that old head in midfield to allow the likes of lansbury and hourihane to flourish . 

He could well be a key player in the season ahead and I think will win over many of his critics.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am hoping Andre steps up to the plate......( he should do his fitness training with Chris Eubank Jnr, amazing dedication)

I think we need balance in formation and even with green and adomah to choose from, still need another winger. 

Agree we may see 433 a fair bit this year. 

• Like 2