Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

4 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

Joe Hart is a) average, B) not signing for Villa. He is not in the same boat as Terry at all, he's in what should be the prime of his career. He's not going to settle for a Championship club 3 days after the transfer window opens, and we need to sort the position quickly.

I'll be amazed if it isn't Johnstone - Bruce obviously rates him highly. 

He signed for a mid table serie a team last season...

World Cup year, he'll want to play, obviously don't know what his options are, Newcastle, West Ham and Watford supposedly all interested with the player himself waiting to see if Utd are Chelsea come calling (:lol:)

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Might as well get Rooney if we get Hart!.. 

Decent spine that ;)

He might have been attracted to Birmingham in past years for Grab a Granny Night at the Locarno but that club closed down many years ago so I guess that deal is a none runner. ;) 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

He signed for a mid table serie a team last season...

World Cup year, he'll want to play, obviously don't know what his options are, Newcastle, West Ham and Watford supposedly all interested with the player himself waiting to see if Utd are Chelsea come calling (:lol:)

Apparently Newcastle and West Ham have been told to come back with a solid offer and that he won't be loaned out again. 

So either those two enquired about a loan first just in case, or those clubs want him but just can't stomach forking over £18 million for him. 

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Who would you have in goal for England? I've not watched international football since the Iceland debacle so bit clueless who the other contenders for England keeper are.

That is a good question, England aren't really spoiled for choices to be honest. But potentially Pickford, we will see how he does at Everton, I'm a big fan of Butland, though his injury may have damaged his ability a bit, Forster always seems to perform decently too. The thing that Hart excels in his TV saves, he makes unbeliable saves at times but as so many English keepers before him, he is extremmely error prone, he has actually become worse with age. 
That being said, he is better than what we currently have and it does send out a signal of intent from us too. 

I think Pickford will be England's number 1 keeper moving forward, or Forster. Pickford is the future but I'd say Forster is more reliable and settled so he'd be my choice going into the world cup. If it does turn out that there's interest in coming here, it wouldn't surprise me if Southgate has told him he won't be first choice, so now he's just looking for somewhere to settle and rebuild his reputation in England. 

Having said that, the same with the Terry rumours, we have not been in a position to turn our noses up at players of the Calibre of Hart for close to a decade now. I am astonished that we are talking about Hart as our number 1 keeper and Man Utds 4th choice keeper as if there should be a debate about who is the best option. 

I don't expect it to happen but there's no way I'm going to start telling people he's no good. Again same with Terry, you won't find a single team in our league that would turn him down

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just read somewhere that Leicester want the keeper Kalinic, Garde tried to sign, for 22 million.

If it does happen, can we seriously sue the FA ffs?

What a piss take!

I would expect that Xia would say something about it publicly if anything further materializes. 

Edited by Villaphan04
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

This makes me believe that we might be looking for better than Johnstone, and that if better options are not interested then he will be the fall-back option. Could be 100% wrong though.

Well you definitely won't be less than 100% wrong,

....unless of course you are 100% right !

Im not sure it's possible to draw any inferences from that tweet myself.

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well you definitely won't be less than 100% wrong,

....unless of course you are 100% right !

Im not sure it's possible to draw any inferences from that tweet myself.

yeah same.. just implies that we have someone pretty much done and they believe he will be number 1. 

7 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

There's a place down by the roadside shack

poor mans paris with parking in the back.......

......what they doin dont mean nothing to you now

Soon it'll mean everything....

Although he's unconventional in hue

His philosophy of life will steer him through

And despite the limitation

Of his poor co-ordination

He knows he'll show the world a thing or two

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

This makes me believe that we might be looking for better than Johnstone, and that if better options are not interested then he will be the fall-back option. Could be 100% wrong though.

Wyness has said   that we are still in pole position for Johnstone and he's hopeful it will be done next week .

Aston Villa remain in ‘pole position’ to complete the signing of Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, says chief executive Keith Wyness. 

Johnstone enjoyed a 22-game loan spell with Villa during the second half of last season, keeping eight clean sheets, and the claret and blues remain confident of bringing him back to Villa Park for another stint between the sticks .

But Wyness, who takes on the bulk of Villa’s transfer workload, says the club are still at the head of the queue for Steve Bruce’s No.1 target.

“I would hope for something next week,” Wyness said. “United still don’t know what they’re doing with their goalkeeping situation. I think we’re still in pole position.”

Villa are likely to pursue a loan deal with Manchester United for Johnstone, but a permanent deal isn’t out of the question if they can raise the funds.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-news-rumours-13283158

Edited by Eastie

I think that joining Villa would be a great move for Joe Hart and us.

None of the top 10 Premier League clubs would need him so if he does choose to stay in the Premier League he will be joining a club that could potentially struggle against relegation. Also, we undoubtedly have the best central defensive partnership outside of the Premier League and, you could argue, Terry and Chester would stand up against most centre back partnerships in the bottom half of the Premier League. 

Playing for Villa would also mean the opportunity to play 8 more games and against weaker attacking players. I doubt Southgate would shut him out for dropping a division and it would give Hart more exposure than playing for a midtable foreign club who play in their top division. 

Hart's days at Man City are clearly over so a season-long loan deal with an option to buy would be a great deal for us. If he had a blinder and we went up you would imagine he would have had a good season so that would only be good for both parties. 

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

I think that joining Villa would be a great move for Joe Hart and us.

None of the top 10 Premier League clubs would need him so if he does choose to stay in the Premier League he will be joining a club that could potentially struggle against relegation. Also, we undoubtedly have the best central defensive partnership outside of the Premier League and, you could argue, Terry and Chester would stand up against most centre back partnerships in the bottom half of the Premier League. 

Playing for Villa would also mean the opportunity to play 8 more games and against weaker attacking players. I doubt Southgate would shut him out for dropping a division and it would give Hart more exposure than playing for a midtable foreign club who play in their top division. 

Hart's days at Man City are clearly over so a season-long loan deal with an option to buy would be a great deal for us. If he had a blinder and we went up you would imagine he would have had a good season so that would only be good for both parties. 

Really can not see any possibility of joe hart being in the picture - wyness made clear last night he's expecting to hear shortly from United regarding Johnstone - city have made clear they will not loan hart out and want £18m and for financial reasons that rules us out .

FWIW I don't think Hart would come here anyway as it's World Cup year next summer and he needs to be playing at top level .

22 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Really can not see any possibility of joe hart being in the picture - wyness made clear last night he's expecting to hear shortly from United regarding Johnstone - city have made clear they will not loan hart out and want £18m and for financial reasons that rules us out .

FWIW I don't think Hart would come here anyway as it's World Cup year next summer and he needs to be playing at top level .

Why does 18 million rule us out?

17 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Because we've been told we have only a few million to spend and are currently bumping into the FFP threshold. We've also been advised that incomings are at least partially dependent on outgoings, and we're not going to raise anything close to £18m. 

Joe Hart would have to be clinically daft to come here in a World Cup year, why are people even entertaining the idea?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I don't think we will be spending that on one player this summer due to ffp and I don't think Hart would condsider dropping down a league in World Cup year - total non starter in my opinion.

Well I think it a good sign Johnstone would sign for us after having prem league offers. I know many don't rate the guy but he will be greatly strengthened with Terry in front of him, same would go for any keeper.

• Like 2

I don't think Hart is realistically worth it either... the money on the transfer fee and wages would be better off spent sorting out the creativity in the team (midfield and wingers), this is the area in which we fell short last season. Johnstone behind a solid back line of Bree/De Laet, Terry, Chester, Taylor is absolutely fine at this level. Also if we can buy Johnstone we potentially have a keeper for years to come with a decent season behind him.

• Like 2