Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

6 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

I ruddy well hope so! A very good goalkeeper on a free. No brainer! Whereas Johnstone for £2.5m, that's a real brainer! 

I'm surprised he's only 30, thought he was older. His form has really suffered recently, I would wonder if a committed & confident Gollini would be better.. Still, has the experience we seem to want between the sticks so if wages were low, I'd be ok with it.

Been trying to find a norwich perspective on Ruddy on their forums - obviously he was very good, then less good when in championship and the whole team was leaking goals. They do seem sad he's been released, and he has been released with a few other players due to non-footballing reasons, i.e. trimming wages having failed to get promoted. So all in all, he seems the ideal keeper for us at the moment, with prem experience, one england cap, needing a fresh start, providing us finally with an older head in goal. With Terry just in front, and the rest of our back four, we could be well solid at the back.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Been trying to find a norwich perspective on Ruddy on their forums - obviously he was very good, then less good when in championship and the whole team was leaking goals. They do seem sad he's been released, and he has been released with a few other players due to non-footballing reasons, i.e. trimming wages having failed to get promoted. So all in all, he seems the ideal keeper for us at the moment, with prem experience, one england cap, needing a fresh start, providing us finally with an older head in goal. With Terry just in front, and the rest of our back four, we could be well solid at the back.

Ive heard he was pretty poor in his later years - but I don't rate Johnstone either - Id take a punt on Ruddy but can't beleive it comes down to those 2 !

I think he's the kind of Goalkeeper we need at this moment; he's free, available, apparently keen, half decent, experienced, old head, decent enough knowledge of this league... we could do a lot worse. He had a blinding season a few years ago in the PL, I vaguely remember he scored my fantasy football team a ton of points.  

Edit: also promoted with Norwich in 2015... so recent promotion experience, for what that's worth.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 2

Yes I am suprised he is only 30 also. He is experienced at this level and premier league, i would offer him a two year deal with option of a 3rd if we want him. then he can be a number 2 next year as hopefully we will be back where we belong. 

him and terry on frees are great business for us. about time we started wheeling and dealing then stupid deals with mccormack and tishbola 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bomvilla7 said:

Our friend on twitter @avfctansfers1 has confirmed that JT's medical is booked. looks a done deal, he's been the only reliable twatter sauce of late. 

pffft I wouldn't trust a source who cant even spell "transfers"

#fakenews

• Like 2

I suggested Ruddy previously, given that he is experienced, would be on a free and was a very decent keeper not too long ago. It seems he is not adverse to joining us either (although in his present situation he would be unlikely to reject the prospect of a move to us when asked). So this could happen if we actually want him rather than Johnstone because we only wanted Sam on another loan and are reluctant to pay the £2.4m that it seems Boro have offered.

Nice to see a suggestion for a striker we might go for but surely Soderlund would be destined to play for Sunderland (in the same way as were both David and Ricky Villa to play for us)?  :)  

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

And Paul Lambert.

And Grant Holt..............

If Ruddy got back to his best we'd have acquired a decent keeper for next to nothing....if he kept his more recent form we'd have a reasonable second choice for next to nothing

• Like 1

Ruddy would be my number 2 for next season on a one year contract and not first choice. Would rather have Alan McGregor as Villa's number 1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, delboy54 said:

BTW looking forward to the Colchester game...just 45 minutes from me (instead of 2 hours drive  to VP)...as Del Boy would say "Cushtie" :D

Is that his version of "cup tie"? ;)