Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

9 hours ago, John said:

We did not score enough goals last season although our strikers did lack service. I would therefore not say no to bringing in a striker on loan.

Kodjia scored goals for fun last season but when he is absent where will our goals come from? Hogan has yet to show for sure that he will do the same for us as he did for Brentford (although injury impacted on his chances of showing that last season). Who knows if McCormack will be selected to play for us again and if he is whether he will be fit enough to get over his fence and if he does manage that whether he will be anywhere near the player he was for Fulham? Gabby is way past his best and is seldom up for it other than when he comes on as a late substitute against Small Heath. Davis and Hepburn-Murphy have clear potential and should get odd games this season to show they can score the goals we need in the longer term but can we guarantee they would do so on a regular basis if they were called upon to do so over a lengthy period this season?    

I would say we should use McCormack as a midfielder as his creativity will benefit Hogan and kodjia

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would say we should use McCormack as a midfielder as his creativity will benefit Hogan and kodjia

Could do well in the hole ;)

Mick1a.jpg

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

I would rather see us signing some wingers over a striker, this is the area that we are poorest in.

Adomah and Green are both decent options but Adomah goes missing too often and Green is still a prospect with a poor injury record. Even bringing one decent winger who can play both left and right as a back up for Adomah & Green would make the world of difference.

For me once the GK & CB positions are secured we need to be looking for 1 more CM (possibly Ledley as a backup for Jedinak) and then bringing in 1-2 quality wingers to rival Adomah & Green

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

New reports saying we are after FLINT again.

Elphick, Richards OUT

Terry, Flint IN

Major improvement?

And for us Oldies - In Like Flint and will he be Our Man Flint?

Edited by NIVillan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes I agree that would be worth a look although Hourihane and Lansbury should tick the creativity box for us if they were given the freedom to move further up the field. 

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I would rather see us signing some wingers over a striker, this is the area that we are poorest in.

Adomah and Green are both decent options but Adomah goes missing too often and Green is still a prospect with a poor injury record. Even bringing one decent winger who can play both left and right as a back up for Adomah & Green would make the world of difference.

For me once the GK & CB positions are secured we need to be looking for 1 more CM (possibly Ledley as a backup for Jedinak) and then bringing in 1-2 quality wingers to rival Adomah & Green

I would rather see us signing a winger as well as a forward.

I feel that should we sign Johnstone, Terry and either Ledley, Jackson Irvine or another CM on loan then we could add a forward and a wide player or two on loan to the mix.    

6 minutes ago, DevonVilla said:

Would anyone give Gollini another chance?

Nothing against the lad to be honest, I just think this season is so important it's worth paying for someone with experience that is tried and tested. I don't mind that we seem to be missing out on Johnstone, he was fine, but more experience at GK is better in my eyes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DevonVilla said:

Would anyone give Gollini another chance?

I would over SJ. Prefer a new keeper.. more experienced one. 

RMC behind the strikers worked well imo. Although we need another attacking midfielder who can play on the wing too possibly..  

Might be a blessing in disguise to be honest, although it would be good to have a young keeper to grow with the squad, promotion is crucial.

Give his transfer fee in wages, to an experienced keeper.

Reevaluate if/when we get up.

Surely some good keepers must be out there for the taking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AVFC44 said:

Looks like we're set to miss out on Johnstone then. Not overly disappointed at that, but not sure who else we are looking at?

Where did you hear this?

I'd be delighted if true!!

2.5m is not a bad deal you know

but not overly disappointed to be honest. i think stockdale on a  free would have been a good signing. bruce missed out on that one. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Nothing against the lad to be honest, I just think this season is so important it's worth paying for someone with experience that is tried and tested. I don't mind that we seem to be missing out on Johnstone, he was fine, but more experience at GK is better in my eyes.

Right on the money. I don't mind if we have a youngster on the books as well, but we now need an experienced keeper. Actually I'm rather perplexed Bruce went for Johnstone in the first place, considering his overall, defensive approach, and emphasis on making us harder to beat. 

Ps. NOT trying to have a further dig at Bruce. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Right on the money. I don't mind if we have a youngster on the books as well, but we now need an experienced keeper. Actually I'm rather perplexed Bruce went for Johnstone in the first place, considering his overall, defensive approach, and emphasis on making us harder to beat. 

Ps. NOT trying to have a further dig at Bruce. 

I suppose a manager can only try and sign who is available... I'm not sure who we could go for that would fit the bill. We don't have massive funds, we're in the second tier, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of free agents out there. I still can't believe Pickford went for £25mill... 

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I suppose a manager can only try and sign who is available... I'm not sure who we could go for that would fit the bill. We don't have massive funds, we're in the second tier, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of free agents out there. I still can't believe Pickford went for £25mill... 

I dunno about that. One would think we would have been able to lure a second choice keeper (Begovic, Romero, Vorm, etc.) from anyone of the top sides? Don't we have more or less infinite funds at the moment? Balancing the books and FFP are of course altogether different issues. 

7 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I dunno about that. One would think we would have been able to lure a second choice keeper (Begovic, Romero, Vorm, etc.) from anyone of the top sides? Don't we have more or less infinite funds at the moment? Balancing the books and FFP are of course altogether different issues. 

You're right, I didn't really means limited funds, I suppose I meant we have to be relatively careful with the FFP side of things so we couldn't just smash £10m on a GK. 

I would love any of those three, they would be the best keeper in the Championship if any one of them joined us.

1 hour ago, AVFC44 said:

It has been reported that Middlesbrough have agreed a fee for him. 

I swear the scout they send to watch us deserves a knighthood.  To be fair, Johnstone may turn into a decent keeper one day.  Hopefully we can find someone solid for not much.