Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

25 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'm seeing this a lot, people often forget or don't realise that each season in the championship the parachute payments get significantly less. 

Getting rid of those 3 probably doesn't even cover the reduction in parachute payments from last season. If we don't go up this season then next season will be even less. Season after that if we are still in the championship then we probably wont even be able to pay any players over £25k/w. Which is why it's so important that we get out of this division ASAP 

Burying my head in the sand c'mon let me dream... 

41 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I can't say I've ever really noticed Ledley perform so I'm not blown away with the suggestion.

I said it last year, but for me I only see Jedinak as a squad player at best. Yes individually he played well, and we got results with him there, but for me we actually played better stuff without him there. I'd really like an energetic holding midfielder to come in. This would allow Lansbury and Hourihane to play more advanced (please don't start criticising Bruce here it's not the thread).

How about Bacuna playing the energetic midfielder role? :)

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Ledley is the definition of bang average.

If we get promoted he's another name that will need to be shipped out because he's not prem quality

That's the whole point though, neither are we...Ledley is one of those in between players, too good for champ, found out in prem....worry about that division when we get back though, imo

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Long shots but Nathaniel Chalobah & Rueben Loftus-Cheek are now further away from the Chel$ki 1st team with the signing of Bakayoko. Loftus-Cheek is obviously above us but surely we could show the ambition and bid for Chalobah ? 

The sort of players John Terry might have a word in their ear about joining us if only for a season on loan but with a view to buy perhaps when we go up? 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, thabucks said:

If we sold Gil, Vertout & Gardener that's the potential fees for Loftus-Cheek/Chalobah covered. But realistically though can't see loftus-cheek's ego dropping down to play for Bruce.

Chalobah is a better shout than Whealan imo age is on his side to improve and complements Jedinak. 

Maybe JT could put in a good word for loftus- cheek . 

We do need to use the loan market to our benefit this year - last year we only had one player on part season loan .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Ledley is the definition of bang average.

If we get promoted he's another name that will need to be shipped out because he's not prem quality

Ledley is average prem quality.

We can't sign high prem quality at the moment as we are sat in the Championship. We need to be realistic with our signings and not keep thinking of ourselves as above everyone in this league, as we found out last season we aren't...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Went up with Huddersfield. Couldn't possibly comment on him as I never paid any attention whatsoever to him or Huddersfield!!

Hefele... I wasted a lot of time watching the play off games with Huddersfield trying to pronounce his name correctly. All I could think of was 'Heffalump' over and over. The games totally passed me by.:blush:

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

Terry having a word in the ear of some of Chelsea's starlets is making the fairly big assumption that they would want to be a team mate of his once again....

True.  Plus he has probably barely met most of them as they're always out on loan.

I've actually heard/read a fair bit about Terry and one thing that is mentioned a lot is how good he is with the youth players at Chelsea and in keeping in contact with the players out on loan.

I think it's a fair assumption that with him at Villa we would have a better chance of loaning some of Chelsea's decent youth prospects.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Terry having a word in the ear of some of Chelsea's starlets is making the fairly big assumption that they would want to be a team mate of his once again....

It's also a fairly big assumption to say they wouldn't. Given all the work he does with the Chelsea youth.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Raver50032 said:

Hefele... I wasted a lot of time watching the play off games with Huddersfield trying to pronounce his name correctly. All I could think of was 'Heffalump' over and over. The games totally passed me by.:blush:

And so ends his Villa career before it started. See also 'Yowsless' De La Cruz. 

There are 3 approaches I see for loans/signings

1 - the 1 year deals to get us up -> rethink once we're PL.

2 - the 2/3 year deals with players capable of performing in PL once we're there

3 - the chancer deals that mean if we miss out on promotion they will help consolidate us as a midtable CH club till DrT sells up

Edited by Grasshopper

forgot approach nr4

4 - over the hill players costing a fortune because we are AVFC so our board never learns and our reputation of "last big payday for fading flops" is reiterated

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

forgot approach nr4

4 - over the hill players costing a fortune because we are AVFC so our board never learns and our reputation of "last big payday for fading flops" is reiterated

When has this board payed a fortune for over the hill players? Jedinak is older but was a rock for many games last year... um... not sure who else this board has signed that fall near that category.

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

When has this board payed a fortune for over the hill players? Jedinak is older but was a rock for many games last year... um... not sure who else this board has signed that fall near that category.

The board - is those who have occupied positions at AVFC over the demise of our club.

whoever they are/have been we have a history of the likes of

Heskey to N'Zog

Richards through Lescott

and now possibly Terry/Whelan or any other past it who's legs are like Richardsons

When outsiders look at our club and see similar mistakes from our "new" board to our "old" board, we'll still be deemed as "The last big payday" club.

This is the mentality that got us here in the first place and if it continues, will keep us here.

I could also include SB as having his last big payday, but I'm not allowed to say that am I

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

There are 3 approaches I see for loans/signings

1 - the 1 year deals to get us up -> rethink once we're PL.

2 - the 2/3 year deals with players capable of performing in PL once we're there

3 - the chancer deals that mean if we miss out on promotion they will help consolidate us as a midtable CH club till DrT sells up

Grasshopper is weakening !!!! 

I claim my £5..

Item 3 says "IF we miss out on promotion"

Ha ! GH - Bruces period of inactivity has thawed your icy heart !

• Like 2