Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

A] It's slightly crazy to suggest that Joleon Lescott is in the same class as John Terry.

B] Mile Jedinak played 33 games last season. If Terry is in the same shape, I'm good with that. 

C] Bristol City are a good attacking team so, naturally, not as concerned about buying their attacking players. (At the time, I thought Kodjia for £13m or whatever was way too expensive). 

I didnt say he was in the same class. However, i remember people saying he will be a good signing as he has experience.. same with Cole.. he will be great just for teaching the younger guys yada yada. 

Mile played 33 and he is 32 years old. Terry is 36. He isnt coming here to help us get promoted. He doesnt care about Villa. The hunger will be gone imo. 

Fair enough about BC.

Look.. im not 100% opposed it.. i just think its a massive gamble.. that could back fire and then we could end up with the same defence for the next season. I dont care what hes like off the field.. i wanted Barton last season :P

My concern is going back to a 352 formation. Terry, i imagine cant play in a 442 anymore.. so his signing would mean we will be going back to this formation. We were defensive enough last season.. we dont need 5 at the back. Even less attacking players on the field than last season.. we will struggle for goals in that formation. You need proper full backs to play a 352.. they are more wingers than full backs. Currently we dont have the cattle to make it work. 

We will see. Like i said. Hope i am wrong about Terry. Wouldnt be the first time i was wrong :)

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, KSV said:

I didnt say he was in the same class. However, i remember people saying he will be a good signing as he has experience.. same with Cole.. he will be great just for teaching the younger guys yada yada. 

Mile played 33 and he is 32 years old. Terry is 36. He isnt coming here to help us get promoted. He doesnt care about Villa. The hunger will be gone imo. 

Fair enough about BC.

Look.. im not 100% opposed it.. i just think its a massive gamble.. that could back fire and then we could end up with the same defence for the next season. I dont care what hes like off the field.. i wanted Barton last season :P

My concern is going back to a 352 formation. Terry, i imagine cant play in a 442 anymore.. so his signing would mean we will be going back to this formation. We were defensive enough last season.. we dont need 5 at the back. Even less attacking players on the field than last season.. we will struggle for goals in that formation. You need proper full backs to play a 352.. they are more wingers than full backs. Currently we dont have the cattle to make it work. 

We will see. Like i said. Hope i am wrong about Terry. Wouldnt be the first time i was wrong :)

Personally, I miss the days of us having a random old, classy journeyman join us.

Patrik Berger etc.

We havent had a "star" for some time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

John Terry, Colback and Whelan.

Another manager who is going to take the golden pot and toss it up the wall on zero return players. God help us. Wake me up.

All dependent on the contracts we offer them, one or two year deals for these players would suit us as they will do a job for us and then not sit on the wage bill as per Gabby, Richards etc.

Colback is a very good player and of the mould that we have missed in recent years...

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Another manager who is going to take the golden pot and toss it up the wall on zero return players. God help us. Wake me up.

Par for the course for Bruce really.

John Terry will be an awful waste of money, will not be fit for half the games and if we have offered anywhere near Blues £100 grand a week i will be pretty peed off.

I sincerely hope the board will be rationing funds to Bruce this summer

30 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Par for the course for Bruce really.

John Terry will be an awful waste of money, will not be fit for half the games and if we have offered anywhere near Blues £100 grand a week i will be pretty peed off.

I sincerely hope the board will be rationing funds to Bruce this summer

The only thing that's par for the course with anything here is you using any stick to beat Bruce with. Pathetic stuff as always.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Hourihane, Lansbury, Bree, Taylor, Hogan, Bedeau, Birkir... what have these players got in common with Terry to make the signing anything like 'par for the course'? 

I'm fairly undecided on the Terry thing TBH, but using it as a stick to beat Bruce, at this stage, is nonsense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Haven't signed any of those players. You don't need to start slitting your wrists just yet. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

The only thing that's par for the course with anything here is you using any stick to beat Bruce with. Pathetic stuff as always.

So you are happy with signing John Terry and probably making him the highest paid player at the club?

3 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

So you are happy with signing John Terry and probably making him the highest paid player at the club?

Expertly avoiding the 'par for the course' correction there ;)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Hourihane, Lansbury, Bree, Taylor, Hogan, Bedeau, Birkir... what have these players got in common with Terry to make the signing anything like 'par for the course'? 

I'm fairly undecided on the Terry thing TBH, but using it as a stick to beat Bruce, at this stage, is nonsense. 

Look at the the list of player Steve signed while at Sunderland,

Look at Terrys stats for last season, realistically how many games do you think we will get out of him playing saturday then mid-week? It is exactly the sort of signing I expect Rednapp to make and thought Bruce would be a little more cirumspect and as yet its nothing but a rumour. I am sick of these over the hill pros coming here for one last pay day and giving precious little in return.

4 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Re-read my post. Did I say that? Not in the slightest. More a dig at you saying 'par for the course' when if anything, Bruce's transfer record (here and before us) is very opposite to the likes of terry and whelan. Hence, you using anything and everything as a stick to beat Bruce. Even though facts speak otherwise. 

I will wait for your response which completely changes the goalposts though.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Expertly avoiding the 'par for the course' correction there ;)

Not really, as per my other post his time at Sunderland is littered with signing which didnt look great at the time and ended up worse.

• Like 1

Just now, mykeyb said:

Not really, as per my other post his time at Sunderland is littered with signing which didnt look great at the time and ended up worse.

Yep, fair is fair.  You did address it further down :thumb: