Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

19 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Hart would probably be watched more by the England scouts at villa than at Torino , maybe he would seek advice from Southgate as to whether it would affect his England position .

i still feel a premier club may come in for him and beat us to him but the fact we've tried to get him shows the ambition and intent is there from villa.

Great post mate and my thoughts exactly. If we we're trying to get players like Hart whilst in the Championship, what kind of players will we go for when promoted? Exciting times ahead hopefully. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Does anyone know what the Recon back-of-the-shirt sponsorship brings to the club in terms of revenue? Maybe Dr Tony has thought things through and found himself a nice little loophole to plough some extra cash into the club! 

Think it was only there for the JT signing , doubt it will be permanent .

53 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Hart would probably be watched more by the England scouts at villa than at Torino , maybe he would seek advice from Southgate as to whether it would affect his England position .

i still feel a premier club may come in for him and beat us to him but the fact we've tried to get him shows the ambition and intent is there from villa.

Some valid points there.  I keep forgetting southgate is england manager!  Maybe his connection with the club wont harm his england place. But i think hart wants premier league football and will wait to see if a better option arises.  Can we afford to wait with it being such a crucial season? I am not so sure to be honest 

But we can dream !

Edited by Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Some valid points there.  I keep forgetting southgate is england manager!  Maybe his connection with the club wont harm his england place. But i think hart wants premier league football and will wait to see if a better option arises.  Can we afford to wait with it being such a crucial season? I am not so sure to be honest 

But we can dream !

Although the other thing maybe in our favour is that city reportedly are not prepared to loan Hart to a premiership team , if we could get  a buy option in a year depending on promotion it might be feasible - it seems the ball is in Harts court and it's down to him to decide but as you say time is of the essence .

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The problem is that he's an awful player.

Is he though?

He's not amazing, but certainly at this level he's shown he's a decent option.

And in the last 5 seasons he's only missed 16 games if his wiki stats are right.

He's a reliable utility player that the manager knows inside out.

• Like 2

If Elmohamady is coming in as a utility player is that an indication that Bacuna is heading out, or just more cover? I thought that with relatively low numbers coming in we were only going to buy players that were better than we already had. I confess to not really knowing the player, but he doesn't seem to be getting rave reviews. 

9 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If you cannot find a player of Elmohamady's calibre anywhere abroad for a fraction of that salary something is seriously wrong.

Yeah I think this is where I'm at too with this one and I've been behind the majority of Bruce's signings. 

I'm also not convinced he'd be a utility player for us. He'd only really be an option at right midfield you'd have thought with the number of right back options we have already. 

Is he even an upgrade on Bacuna who has performed decently at right back in the Premier League at times?

So for me he'd be back up to Adomah on the right and I'd rather we were looking at wingers that could replace Adomah to be honest. I just think if the ambition is there we look at improving on what we've got rather than bringing in back ups on decent wages.

There has to be better value out there and this just strikes me as a bit of a lazy signing if we make it. I actually wrote off the link as lazy journalism but it seems there could be more to it.

• Like 2

Elmo isn't an exciting signing, but he knows English football and he knows Steve Bruce well which means he'll likely do well for us.

Could we find someone cheaper abroad? Yes, but we have enough of those failed risks in our squad already do we need one more? I get that finances are a concern, but we will really kick ourselves if we buy in unproven talent to save £10k/w and we don't get promoted. 

This is not the season to start cheaping out on players, it really isn't. Yes Elmo isn't super exciting, but he'll get the job done.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If Elmohamady is coming in as a utility player is that an indication that Bacuna is heading out, or just more cover? I thought that with relatively low numbers coming in we were only going to buy players that were better than we already had. I confess to not really knowing the player, but he doesn't seem to be getting rave reviews. 

He was player of the season when he got promoted with Hull.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If you cannot find a player of Elmohamady's calibre anywhere abroad for a fraction of that salary something is seriously wrong.

A fraction? Really?

How much would Elmohamady command? £20k a week? £30k max?

Could you really find someone abroad for a "fraction" of those wages?

Is it worth gambling on a cheaper signing from abroad over a player the manager knows so well?

People seem to be treating this as if it's our marquee signing of the summer.

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A fraction? Really?

How much would Elmohamady command? £20k a week? £30k max?

Could you really find someone abroad for a "fraction" of those wages?

Is it worth gambling on a cheaper signing from abroad over a player the manager knows so well?

People seem to be treating this as if it's our marquee signing of the summer.

99/100 is a fraction :P

• Like 3

Looking back at the Neil Taylor signing a lot of people said the same thing that is now being said of Elmohamady. Not an exciting signing, but a stable signing who know's the Championship.

If he can do as good as a job on the right that Taylor has done on the left we have done well.

All about the contract we give him, it seem's we are going about it the right way now though and not tying players in for years and years when they are likely not going to be required anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

I think we have a small budget but room to manoeuvre and I guess the sale of amavi alone would more than pay joe harts wages should he decide to join on a season loan - that said he seems to be waiting for a better offer from the premiership and it seems unlikely to happen as we can't afford to wait around too long .

Urgh. It all sounds a bit Leeds Utd Jam Tomorrow. Especially when Bruce is sacked in October and we hit the reset button again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Think it was only there for the JT signing , doubt it will be permanent .

What is stopping Recon paying say £4m just for that one off exposure. Thus effectively allowing AV to break even on the Terry deal.