Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

And £75 mill for Lukaku... ok he's good, but he's not £75 mill good even in today's market (imo of course).

Not long ago he was 2nd fiddle to benteke - how quickly things can change . 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Same here. I just think it's incredible how football has got to such a crazy state that a Championship club, which has been out of the PL for quite a while, can spunk £14m on one player.

Championship club with a new mega rich owner. It's no different to us doing it last season really. Yes we were newcomers to the league, but without a new owner we would have spent £7 million last Summer if we were lucky not £60+ million. Clubs with rich owners will always flash the cash from time to time, it's amazing it's taken Wolves owners the best part of a year to do it. 

15 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not long ago he was 2nd fiddle to benteke - how quickly things can change . 

Benteke would be the better player if it wasn't for the fact that he snapped his Achilles, hasn't been the same since. 

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Benteke would be the better player if it wasn't for the fact that he snapped his Achilles, hasn't been the same since. 

And all the faffing about at Liverpool sitting on the bench. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Wolves sign Ruben Neves for £14m. Wow.

Let's hope Glenn Whelan has more of an impact for us.

Dont see how wolves are abinding by ff regulations with signings like this?

15 hours ago, villaglint said:

Oooo oooo my first ever piece of legit ITK. 

Been told by someone who definitely knows that Middlesborough are his most likely destination. Villa did enquire but he's been told that it is virtually a done deal for us to get Sam Johnstone again on another years loan. He said we never should have let Karl go at 16 (which I hadn't realised). Newcastle are asking for between 8-10 million for him now. 

Surprised they are getting rid to be honest but I guess with all the PL cash they fancy an upgrade. 

This post got me to thinking . . . what was the highest-placed team in the football pyramid who mainly played a goalkeeper who had come through the ranks at that team? 

I don't believe for one second that if we'd kept Karl Darlow at 16 he'd be turning out for us this season. 

Just wondering, who is our back up LB or LWB now that Amavi has gone? 

If we don't have one in the squad (any decent youngsters on our books?) then we should be looking at a young player to provide cover for Taylor, hopefully one that can eventually displace him and develop quite well.

Not a fan of Johnstone, would much prefer a better, more experienced, keeper, someone like Myhill perhaps? Wonder what the Tim Krul situation is - always quite rated him, Hart would be fantastic (for a variety of reasons) although very unlikely.

I can kind of understand the thinking behind the signing though, due to his young age and time & capacity to develop - could be a fixture in our side for years to come if he proves that he is good enough. I just think he'd be a better 2nd choice or backup keeper, doesn't seem wise to rely on such a player for a promotion push. He only ever seemed decent during his debut against Spurs...

I always would have preferred us to stick with and develop Gollini in that sense (actually think he's better and more talented than Johnstone) plus he is actually our player. Not sure he wants to be here though, recalling the fuss over the GK coach too...

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Myhill? The one that we had but let go? Don't seem to remember fans saying we should keep him he'll be a good or great keeper ? 

Johnstone grew in confidence as the season progressed. What's saying he won't get better? I believe the people at villa (and those IN the game) to know better than some fans who have qualified as coaches playing a computer game!  :-)

6 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

Myhill? The one that we had but let go? Don't seem to remember fans saying we should keep him he'll be a good or great keeper ? 

Johnstone grew in confidence as the season progressed. What's saying he won't get better? I believe the people at villa (and those IN the game) to know better than some fans who have qualified as coaches playing a computer game!  :-)

Not sure what you mean or if you've misconstrued my comment.

Basically, I think we should have an experienced, capable and established 1st choice GK for our promotion push. Myhill & Krul are just a couple of names I've thrown out there (many people have suggested many others) as suggestions and quite possibly attainable - much more reliable too. Myhill's past with us is irrelevant to my comment, he has performed well as cover for Foster at WBA. I'd just welcome a safer pair of hands for our promotion push, no problems with a young keeper as back up who can learn and develop - we do already have Steer though and, as I said, I rate Gollini as better than Johnstone.

Just my opinion, I don't for a second claim to be an expert but this is a fans' forum. I am not completey against signing Johnstone (never said he won't get better, in fact I pointed out the probable thinking behind the signing based on that point, he will and should do as time goes on), just think we could do better.

Edited by Jas10

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

This post got me to thinking . . . what was the highest-placed team in the football pyramid who mainly played a goalkeeper who had come through the ranks at that team? 

I don't believe for one second that if we'd kept Karl Darlow at 16 he'd be turning out for us this season. 

English football? Hard to think, Heaton 0 games for Utd, Forster 0 games for Newcastle, butland managed a few for the noses

quick look, giving each Prem club 2 keepers in the squad the teams with a home grown keeper - 0

if you went to 3rd or 4th choice you might find some but there's a fair few who's 3rd choice isn't a home grown youth player

Strangely I hope we sign Johnstone on a permanent deal rather than another loan. 

I think he'd improve more if his future was settled and it'd be the best for both club and player.

if it's a loan we'll be back to square one, this time next season.

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Strangely I hope we sign Johnstone on a permanent deal rather than another loan. 

I think he'd improve more if his future was settled and it'd be the best for both club and player.

Hes off contract end of the season isnt he?

Regardless. If we are in the premier league we will be going for a much better keeper next season anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KSV said:

Hes off contract end of the season isnt he?

Regardless. If we are in the premier league we will be going for a much better keeper next season anyway. 

No he signed a new contract under Jose last season.

9 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

He's not good enough, at best I hope he's a loan with us reassessing gollini

same complaint again, what are our scouts doing? We didn't scout John terry for a start that's great work from others within the club and then if Johnstone and elmohamady go through, that to me says they haven't found anyone, it's poor

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Yes. Surely signing a young player with potential is that you want to see that potential.

Helping him develop and then watching him leave seems a waste. 

Unless we get promoted I guess. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

English football? Hard to think, Heaton 0 games for Utd, Forster 0 games for Newcastle, butland managed a few for the noses

quick look, giving each Prem club 2 keepers in the squad the teams with a home grown keeper - 0

if you went to 3rd or 4th choice you might find some but there's a fair few who's 3rd choice isn't a home grown youth player

Yeah, I discounted the Prem, because there clearly aren't any there. Are there any Championship keepers who were in the youth team of the same club they are playing for now? I doubt there are. 

The point I'm making here is saying 'well, you should have held on to Karl Darlow at 16 so you could play him now' has no basis in logic or reality. Goalkeepers are bought, they don't come through the ranks. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yes. Surely signing a young player with potential is that you want to see that potential.

Helping him develop and then watching him leave seems a waste. 

Unless we get promoted I guess. 

Even if we get promoted, he'd be a better no.2 than bunn of steer for a season or two. 

I don't mind this deal (if it happens)

55 minutes ago, KSV said:

I wouldn't be so sure, Bruce and Wyness keep signing his praises in any interviews I've watched. They truly believe he is good enough for the premier league - he must be putting in some good performances in training as I haven't seen anything in matches.