Transfer Speculation Summer 2017

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

I understand the need to sell Amavi to get some funds, but if we waste all that money on Whelan, Elmohamady and Johnstone then I think we have gone backwards

I get what you are trying to say, but sorry, even if you don't "rate" those players it makes no sense.

We would pretty much have sold a failing left back and gotten 3 - 4 players in other areas with the money we got for him.

We also already have a solid left back.

So it is not as if we have sold a player and failed to replace him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I get what you are trying to say, but sorry, even if you don't "rate" those players it makes no sense.

We would pretty much have sold a failing left back and gotten 3 - 4 players in other areas with the money we got for him.

We also already have a solid left back.

So it is not as if we have sold a player and failed to replace him.

The funds would be from the Amavi sale to buy those 3, but even if you take Amavi the player out of the equation, ie he sat on the bench all year and didnt play - Those 3 signings would be taking us backwards.

Not sure how adding players will take us backwards, Johnstone was our keeper last season and was decent towards the end despite having a shakey start so him coming back neither adds or detracts much.

Bruce clearly thinks we need experience and leadership all over the park, even if Whelan and Elmo from the muppets aren't exciting signings, if they kick some of our existing team up the arse and they learn from them then I can't see an issue.

Last season, Jedinak and Chester aside I never felts like anyone on the pitch really had any drive or direction, now you could argue that should be the manager and coaches job but for some reason no matter how many half time bollockings Bruce handed out, not one word he uttered seem to make a single bit of difference. So with Bruce not going anywhere then plan C i guess, god knows what plan B was.

In my lifetime 'Dad's army' as they were known under Big Ron where the best Villa team and most of that team was made up of players who were considered washed up, rejects or on there last legs, you know who they are and you know what they did for our team at that time. 

Amavi was awful last season, even on the wing he was rubbish. If Green can keep fit and continue the promise he showed last season then he will be a marked improvement, plus Grealish is an option there.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

Its clear finanacial fair play is on the mind on the owner and the board hence why we are making these kind of signings

To be honest that is sensible as i dont think we need to change too much as this side has the potential to steam roll this league

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

Life for a Villa fan....this players shit that players crap the other players too old....

We all have opinions but really none of these players who are supposed to be crap would have had careers in the premier league if they were actually as bad as some on this site make out.

i have an idea let's first see if they sign for Villa,then (even more radical this one) watch how the play for us and then form a more informed opinion ✌️

Jeebus! I think you are in the wrong place. That is some sound and profound logic which some cannot compute. That is some novel idea and so radical! But don't hold yer breathe! Never gonna happen! 

(I agree with you 100% and have always said the same thing) 

6 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

That's an O'neill-esque transfer window with pitiful sell-on value that could see us waste another opportunity to establish ourselves where we should be. A few years ago there was a near consensus on VT that we should move to a more sustainable model, but now we have a new billionaire owner, it seems a lot of us are just happy to throw the money around again, and pay over the odds if needs be. I sincerely hope lessons have been learnt at the club, and that this won't all end in tears.

Give me the O'Neill days any day!! Biggest difference is the outlay. Terry will cost about £4m for the season. I'd imagine the otherwise will cost about £4m all in. With wages about £6m for the season. This isn't buying Habib Beye for £4m on a massive long term deal. Buying Johnstone is a long term purchase. We seem to buy across all the range. Buying solely old players will catch you out but we aren't. Promotion skew all of this immaterial anyway. I trust those in charge as they're always mentioning FFP and players wasting away on big deals. 

14 hours ago, villaglint said:

Oooo oooo my first ever piece of legit ITK. 

Been told by someone who definitely knows that Middlesborough are his most likely destination. Villa did enquire but he's been told that it is virtually a done deal for us to get Sam Johnstone again on another years loan. He said we never should have let Karl go at 16 (which I hadn't realised). Newcastle are asking for between 8-10 million for him now. 

Surprised they are getting rid to be honest but I guess with all the PL cash they fancy an upgrade. 

Oh no. Not another one.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

You know what?

Im not the least bit interested in our Club being used as a vehicle to make an Agent rich, and I'm not the least interested in buying potential superstars for one season.

The pitfalls are absolutely staggering.

Also, despite my reservations about his approach, I'd rather Bruce bought the players HE feels he needs, rather than players who 'excite the fans'......when and why did that concept enter football ?

Same here. I just think it's incredible how football has got to such a crazy state that a Championship club, which has been out of the PL for quite a while, can spunk £14m on one player.

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Same here. I just think it's incredible how football has got to such a crazy state that a Championship club, which has been out of the PL for quite a while, can spunk £14m on one player.

Money crazy in the game now - look at Everton spending £90m this summer and still unlikely to finish any higher than last season .