17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

11 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Well.... didn’t know that. Thanks.

Planned to take kids to the zoo on that day... have to annoy wife again I guess.:mrgreen:

Go to the zoo on the 19th -  who cares about Man U v Chelsea ;)

1 hour ago, dnmacf said:

Get where you’re coming from, and understand why you don’t fancy paying beyond your season ticket, but it’s a business and not a charity. Staff and overheads to open up Villa Park an additional time beyond the standard season got to be covered. Would be a remarkable gesture and at the end of the day would be coming out of Tony’s back pocket, potentially reducing funds for other purposes, buying players etc. Don’t mind paying an additional £20-30 personally

Well, yes and no.

To allow STs free would only be about 20,000. They can still have charge the other 20,000 £25 each which is Half a Million Quid, plus TV money.......plus Program sales, plus food sales etc....I think that’d cover the costs !

Im not concerned about paying, I understand it, but I agree with the OP, after what we’ve watched the last 10 years it was an opportunity to say to those 20000 or so people “ thanks a lot”. Never mind though, small issue.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Well, yes and no.

To allow STs free would only be about 20,000. They can still have charge the other 20,000 £25 each which is Half a Million Quid, plus TV money.......plus Program sales, plus food sales etc....I think that’d cover the costs !

Im not concerned about paying, I understand it, but I agree with the OP, after what we’ve watched the last 10 years it was an opportunity to say to those 20000 or so people “ thanks a lot”. Never mind though, small issue.

Catch 22 but I think they will have flags or something to give the fans

its an interesting point - to charge or not charge ST holders for thr semis.

There are a number of quotes out there that suggest the matchday turnstyle money for clubs of our size isnt significant in the grand scheme of things.

For instance match tickets in Germany are generally in the region of €15 as to charge more would risk the ground not being full.

perhaps villa arent as commercially savvy or as appealing in some way than other clubs, or maybe the articles ive read dont hold weight, but iff it works in germany im not sure why it wouldnt work here...

4 hours ago, dnmacf said:

Get where you’re coming from, and understand why you don’t fancy paying beyond your season ticket, but it’s a business and not a charity. Staff and overheads to open up Villa Park an additional time beyond the standard season got to be covered. Would be a remarkable gesture and at the end of the day would be coming out of Tony’s back pocket, potentially reducing funds for other purposes, buying players etc. Don’t mind paying an additional £20-30 personally

My wording stands, I'm disappointed rather than angry.

However, whilst recognising the club is not a charity, it is not unreasonable to expect some gratitude/reward for years of loyalty at a time when it would have been very easy not to. In fact, and I admit a little bit of mischief here, it could be argued Villa fans are being financially punished for the team's inability to achieve automatic promotion! We all acknowledge that any trip to Wembley would be at fans expense, and that's never a cheap day, so to 'gift' the semi final as a gesture of goodwill seems appropriate. As mentioned, the gate receipts aren't that significant. It's possible you could be asking fans to spend hundreds on tickets in a single month.

The club do a lot to encourage people through the turnstiles with ticket offers but season ticket holders generally feel they are taken slightly for granted, that's certainly the feeling with a large number of those around me, including some who've been coming for over 30 years. Personally I think this game should be free but it won't stop me going because nothing ever does!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackbauer24 said:

My wording stands, I'm disappointed rather than angry.

However, whilst recognising the club is not a charity, it is not unreasonable to expect some gratitude/reward for years of loyalty at a time when it would have been very easy not to. In fact, and I admit a little bit of mischief here, it could be argued Villa fans are being financially punished for the team's inability to achieve automatic promotion! We all acknowledge that any trip to Wembley would be at fans expense, and that's never a cheap day, so to 'gift' the semi final as a gesture of goodwill seems appropriate. As mentioned, the gate receipts aren't that significant. It's possible you could be asking fans to spend hundreds on tickets in a single month.

The club do a lot to encourage people through the turnstiles with ticket offers but season ticket holders generally feel they are taken slightly for granted, that's certainly the feeling with a large number of those around me, including some who've been coming for over 30 years. Personally I think this game should be free but it won't stop me going because nothing ever does!

I can see both sides, on one hand it would be nice for the club to give something back to the season ticket holders, but at the same time this semi final will be a guaranteed sell out, after all the club has only opened the full stadium on 3 occasions this season so its a chance to make some money, so I wouldnt expect them to ignore that. (especially if we dont go up) 

Perhaps either a free game in a cup competition next season, or let the season ticket holders go the the U23s play off semi for free would be a nice compromise (and be nice for the kids to play to a big crowd in a massive match for them). 

I think they should have offered season ticket holders a ticket for half price as a goodwill gesture 

If we get spanked first leg it won't be a big crowd 2nd lwg. Vitally important we dont lose or lose by more than one goal

Boro dont get beaten easily espically with a lot of goals. It's going to be tough. 

Tbf, considering the mess we'll be in financially if we don't go up (and the fact we've had an owner pump close to 150mill into the club in two years to get us here), I don't begrudge the club not taking the unprecedented step of giving free playoff tickets away, no matter how small the actual revenue might be.

• Like 1

I've seen a number of posts from people on Twitter, moaning at and basically insulting the fans who thought that they'd get the home play-off leg as part of their season ticket. I can't stand fans like that who use any excuse to have a moan about other fans:

1) It was an easy mistake for fans to make, considering the initial news item that the club posted, saying 'Keep your STs as they will be valid for the home play-off game', before adding the point about '*payment information tbc'.

2) I think it makes much more sense for the club to allow ST holders in for 'free'. Is it guaranteed that we'll sell out that game? I don't think so. It's not often we've had a full house, and we've had a number of 'must win' games this season that haven't been sold out. Would Dr X prefer the extra money that an additional 10-15k people brings, or would he prefer a better chance of a sell-out, therefore a better atmosphere and a chance for the fans to spur the team on - which could, ultimately, lead to a final/ promotion and the huge payday that the Premier League brings.

...and 3) it actually makes no difference to me, as I can't come to any of the games, Season Ticket or not, because of my incoming arrival to the family! :( / :wub: / :rant: / :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I've seen a number of posts from people on Twitter, moaning at and basically insulting the fans who thought that they'd get the home play-off leg as part of their season ticket. I can't stand fans like that who use any excuse to have a moan about other fans:

1) It was an easy mistake for fans to make, considering the initial news item that the club posted, saying 'Keep your STs as they will be valid for the home play-off game', before adding the point about '*payment information tbc'.

2) I think it makes much more sense for the club to allow ST holders in for 'free'. Is it guaranteed that we'll sell out that game? I don't think so. It's not often we've had a full house, and we've had a number of 'must win' games this season that haven't been sold out. Would Dr X prefer the extra money that an additional 10-15k people brings, or would he prefer a better chance of a sell-out, therefore a better atmosphere and a chance for the fans to spur the team on - which could, ultimately, lead to a final/ promotion and the huge payday that the Premier League brings.

...and 3) it actually makes no difference to me, as I can't come to any of the games, Season Ticket or not, because of my incoming arrival to the family! :( / :wub: / :rant: / :P

Mate your crazy if you think this game wont be a sell out. 

Unless we get tonnes 3 4 or 5 nil it will be a huge turnout. I think we could have sold up to 48k for this one.

It's that big a game.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2018 at 21:00, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can you imagine having the financial strength to bring back all the players we lost when/if we go up?

Idrissa Gueye, Benteke (The good one), Ashley Young, Marc Albrighton, Amavi, Vertout, Adama, Cahill, Lowton, Vertout?

Sure i'm missing a few important ones but you get the point, all of them in the same team along with Grealish etc.

100 mill, get it done doc.

Thereis no way Young would leave United & Other than Gueye i wouldn't want any of them back for free

56 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Thereis no way Young would leave United & Other than Gueye i wouldn't want any of them back for free

I would take Albrighton and Benteke back in a heartbeat. 

The rest are all better than most of our team and would improve us considerably.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I would take Albrighton and Benteke back in a heartbeat. 

The rest are all better than most of our team and would improve us considerably.

Benteke is done at premier league level. Albrighton would be a decent signing but I can't imagine he'd leave Leicester.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think they should have offered season ticket holders a ticket for half price as a goodwill gesture 

If we get spanked first leg it won't be a big crowd 2nd lwg. Vitally important we dont lose or lose by more than one goal

Boro dont get beaten easily espically with a lot of goals. It's going to be tough. 

It'll be sold out for the second leg regardless of the first leg score IMO. And I think whoever we play it will be close even after two legs. Probably one goal between them.  

Edited by villa89

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Benteke is done at premier league level. Albrighton would be a decent signing but I can't imagine he'd leave Leicester.

It'll be sold out for the second leg regardless of the first leg score IMO. And I think whoever we play it will be close even after two legs. Probably one goal between them.  

It won't if we lose 5-0