17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

52 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Don't forget, whichever team loses out on the race for second is going to feel pretty deflated when dropping down in to the playoff mix, so that could result in an interesting final opponent, assuming we get there too, of course

More so applies to the semi final though. Of course they can be a hangover of sorts for the 3rd place team but the place to catch them in the scenario is the semi. If they can pick themselves up and get through the semi final then i think loosing out on 2nd doesnt really affect you thereafter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

We are currently the only team in the play offs that can rest players next week. Not only that, but Fulham have gotta go to the scum who will be fighting for their lives. Big chance for injuries there...

Your wrong as boro can if they win and our opponents like I have said for the last six weeks

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

My only worry is bruce will be ultra cautious away in the first leg and we go back to villa park trailing in the tie. I dont like when we are chasing .

This is exactly how I see it happening or villa win first leg 2-0 then concede in first 5 mins of the return leg at villa park making us all shit ourselves for remaininG 85 mins

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

My only worry is bruce will be ultra cautious away in the first leg and we go back to villa park trailing in the tie. I dont like when we are chasing .

I think today showed we can cope with chasing a game. Derby came and played 10 men behind the ball trying to catch us on the break. We coped well though and used the ball well to open them up on numerous occasions and it was an injustice we didn't run out winning by 4 or 5.

We can now cope with any style for me and the days of teams allowing us to have the ball and us looking clueless are gone. Away from home when you'd expect the other side to edge possession with the pace of Grabban, Adomah, Kodjia and directness and drive of Grealish and Snodgrass we can punish sides by breaking and as we showed today allow us possession and we can break you down and create chances.

Edited by markavfc40

I remember when I moved to UK in 2008 first time following full season of Villa getting super excited after the City win. 

To then being defeated by the newly promoted Stoke whom I have never heard of before with Tony Pulis in charge. 

I'm gonna have nightmares in coming weeks

• Sad 1

The team that finished todays game is the team i would start in the play-offs. 

Kodjia for Adomah

Onamah for Whelan

10 minutes ago, Alakagom said:

I remember when I moved to UK in 2008 first time following full season of Villa getting super excited after the City win. 

To then being defeated by the newly promoted Stoke whom I have never heard of before with Tony Pulis in charge. 

I'm gonna have nightmares in coming weeks

Last time we got to Wembley we beat a pulis  team to do so - Traore is the only worry I have with boro but I think we have 4 or 5 they should worry about 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

The team that finished todays game is the team i would start in the play-offs. 

Kodjia for Adomah

Onamah for Whelan

Jedinak needs to be back in.

Bjarni or Houihane will be another choice I'd strongly consider.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Your wrong as boro can if they win and our opponents like I have said for the last six weeks

They can rest a few and probably will, but I suspect they will want to field a fairly strong team to guarantee fifth as I suspect they’d rather face us than Fulham.

• Like 1

The result today, as expected, was completely academic. We're fourth. So, I'll be honest, I was disappointed we got the draw in the end as it made no difference to us and yet probably means we'll play Boro in the semis and not Derby.

The performance today shows we'd have had more than enough to beat them over two legs. I'm not confident that's the case with a Traore led Middlesborough. The bigger picture points to today being a bad result for us.

On a similar note, having to remind those around me that there was no point Elmo hacking down a clear through Weimann and getting a ban for relevant games shows how short sighted some are! There is no point risking bans/injuries over irrelevant games.

40 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

The result today, as expected, was completely academic. We're fourth. So, I'll be honest, I was disappointed we got the draw in the end as it made no difference to us and yet probably means we'll play Boro in the semis and not Derby.

The performance today shows we'd have had more than enough to beat them over two legs. I'm not confident that's the case with a Traore led Middlesborough. The bigger picture points to today being a bad result for us.

On a similar note, having to remind those around me that there was no point Elmo hacking down a clear through Weimann and getting a ban for relevant games shows how short sighted some are! There is no point risking bans/injuries over irrelevant games.

We would've just missed next week. Last man foul is not a 3 match ban unless it's a violent foul.

We would be playing Boro regardless of what Derby did. They have Ipswich away next week.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We would've just missed next week. Last man foul is not a 3 match ban unless it's a violent foul.

We would be playing Boro regardless of what Derby did. They have Ipswich away next week.

Ipswich won 4-0 away today  - I like the unpredictability of this league .