17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I disagree.  They were a guaranteed car crash with Gollum in charge.  Now there's at least the possibility, however small, that they'll bring someone in who knows his onions.  And I don't mean Greg Wallace.

I'm not sure that Ellis Short has the appetite for the club anymore (much akin to our own lerner towards the end)

will Short stump up enough for the new manager and a transfer budget to attract a decent replacement?

i don't think he will. 

22 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I'm not sure that Ellis Short has the appetite for the club anymore (much akin to our own lerner towards the end)

will Short stump up enough for the new manager and a transfer budget to attract a decent replacement?

i don't think he will. 

Maybe not.  But I'd have rathered Moyes oversee next season.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

Maybe not.  But I'd have rathered Moyes oversee next season.

Yes.  Particularly at the start of the season when his sides are always awful.  Still think it's a long shot that they'll improve much though.

Well Silva looks like he is off to Porto so that's good news. Norwich appoin some inexperienced German coach from Dortmund  (trying a Wagner type appointment?) Moyes gone and Kevin Phillips being strongly linked which again is good news I think.

• Like 1

I suspect the relegated clubs will do very well to make the play-off's and think Boro will be the more likely of the three to end up in the top six. For me we do need to aim to clinch automatic promotion and I see Leeds, Fulham (if they don't break up their team too much), Sheffield Weds and Huddersfield (if they stay down) as the teams most likely to get in the way of us reaching that objective. I'm hoping that everyone else will be playing for second spot though. ;) 

7 hours ago, John said:

I suspect the relegated clubs will do very well to make the play-off's and think Boro will be the more likely of the three to end up in the top six. For me we do need to aim to clinch automatic promotion and I see Leeds, Fulham (if they don't break up their team too much), Sheffield Weds and Huddersfield (if they stay down) as the teams most likely to get in the way of us reaching that objective. I'm hoping that everyone else will be playing for second spot though. ;) 

Dont forget Derby they will be up there. I wouldnt be suprised if Blose and Wolves are up there too 

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Dont forget Derby they will be up there. I wouldnt be suprised if Blose and Wolves are up there too 

Yes, Derby might get into the top six if they don't blow up towards the end of the season as they seem to do so often. I would be very surprised if Wolves and particularly Small Heath finish close to the top six. Harry would need to be an absolute miracle worker to have them in the top half! at the end of next season.       

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Wolves apparently looking to replace Lambert with a more high profile manager.

Could go either way I guess.

Madness if true!

....carry on though!

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Well it worked for Birmingham ;)

It always disturbs me when people refer to the SHA as Birmingham.

They are a disgrace to the city always have been and always will be.

They should be refered to as the SHA, and be known as the Scum that they are.

'arry is right up their street, and Elphick is a too honest a guy to go there.

If we are in hope of getting rid of a few players and any end up at the SHA, Only the likes of Richards, Zog & Lescott are worthy of them.

As for arry getting them up the table to compete for promotion I see them as 6 pts and Gaby's highlight performances.

The quicker we're out of here the better.

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

It always disturbs me when people refer to the SHA as Birmingham.

They are a disgrace to the city always have been and always will be.

They should be refered to as the SHA, and be known as the Scum that they are.

'arry is right up their street, and Elphick is a too honest a guy to go there.

If we are in hope of getting rid of a few players and any end up at the SHA, Only the likes of Richards, Zog & Lescott are worthy of them.

As for arry getting them up the table to compete for promotion I see them as 6 pts and Gaby's highlight performances.

The quicker we're out of here the better.

What's odds first signing is Joey Barton?

At this stage - and giving SB the benefit of the doubt over coaching us properly over the summer, I would say the main clubs challenging for promotion would be

Leeds, Fulham, ourselves, Derby. I don't see Sheffield Wednesday or the loser of Huddersfield or Reading maintaining a charge consistently next year. They'll be decent of course. Norwich too could be up there. And there will be teams like Preston who will be solid play-off contenders, but whom we shouldn't really fear if we apply ourselves. We have enough time and less surgery to do. 

I cannot see any of the relegated clubs being strong next year. Sunderland are crap - who only beat our points thanks to Defoe. Hull - well marshalled by Silva - but otherwise distinctly average bar one or two players. Middlesborough - could be up there I guess - but again, overflowing with rubbish for now and it depends who they appoint. 

Main point being I don't think there's a stand out club like Newcastle or Brighton where this year. Closest to that is Fulham for me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Leeds just completed their takeover - i guess the new owner will provide decent transfer funds this summer.

We've got some top class players they can have! Of course as ex premier league players they won't be cheap. Eh Leo, Micah, Gabby? 

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What's odds first signing is Joey Barton?

Not very likely I'd say. He's still got 17 months of a ban to go hasn't he?

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Leeds just completed their takeover - i guess the new owner will provide decent transfer funds this summer.

Might also want his own man in though