17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Fulham or Wednesday. But for me if like Wednesday to stay here due to the Sheffield derby next season.

I would like us to win it and have Wednesday or forest go up as runners up. Bof is right the big sides need to be back where they belong (except Leeds!)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BOF said:

As a traditionalist I would like to see Wednesday back up.  They've served their time and the Premier League needs the big clubs back.  From a Villa perspective I don't think there's much advantage either way in getting rid of one of Reading, Fulham or Wednesday as the other 2 will be strong next season as well.  It's only the Huddersfield bubble I'm expecting to see bursting soon.

Surprised you say Reading will be strong. I thought they were a poor side whenever I've seen them. If they went up I wouldn't be surprised if they had an extremely low points tally in the prem.

Personally I think Fulham going up is best for us.

I'm confident in next season. With a full pre season behind Bruce and the squad we'll be very strong and hard to beat.

• Like 4

Well it certainly won't be Fulham going up now! I'd prefer Sheffield Wednesday to go up, I think they deserve to be back in the top flight. Decent club with a good history, know a lot of their younger fans that don't remember the better years. 

I hope I won't be able to say that about Villa in a few years although I suspect there's already a good percentage that have never seen us play well. 

Reading is such a plastic club to me, been to the Madjeski and it's so bland beyond belief (and miles out of the town centre).

They've had seasons already in the prem and offered little bar that first one under Coppell.

Get Wednesday back up there.

• Like 1

I've got this horrible feeling that we won't go up next season. I've seen nothing in that last season to suggest we will get promoted.

Bruce says we need up to four quality signings but those last games show that we need more than that. Also, I'm not sure that we will be better with Bruce in charge as the football is just too slow and boring. 

• Like 1

I am not making any predictions until we know the squad yet. don't see how anyone can say either we are going up or that they are worried we are not going up. a lot can change before the window shuts. i suspect there will be changes with a flux of players leaving with some coming in. i think the squad has serious potential though 

1 hour ago, villarocker said:

I've got this horrible feeling that we won't go up next season. I've seen nothing in that last season to suggest we will get promoted.

Bruce says we need up to four quality signings but those last games show that we need more than that. Also, I'm not sure that we will be better with Bruce in charge as the football is just too slow and boring. 

Yes I can see your point. 

But in our matches against the teams in the play off's did any of them look that much better than us.?  - We were the better team in both matches v brighton. 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Would Fulham now be favourites next year ?

To be honest we beat them at villa park and they were not really that dangerous in that game. At Fulham we had 10 men against them for near enough whole game yet we still managed to match them in periods. 

I think they will be up there but shouldn't have to fear them. I think derby are going to be a big threat next season. 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Would Fulham now be favourites next year ?

Nope, new odds are ...

Aston Villa 8/1
Fulham 9/1
Boro 10/1
Norwich 10/1
Derby 12/1
Hull 12/1
Wolves 12/1

Has to be Automatic promotion next year surely?

Especially when you look at this;

2016/17 Season transfers spend:

AVFC £71.91m

Fulham £21.72m

Wednesday £9.26m

Reading £7.59m

Brighton £7.44m

Leeds £7.29m

Newcastle £54.74m

So 1st 10 games should mean something like:

6wins

2draws

2defeats

20pts

However, if we start

DDLL.....

I wonder what DrT, Wyness Round and the fans would think?

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

So 1st 10 games should mean something like:

6wins

2draws

2defeats

20pts

However, if we start

DDLL.....

I wonder what DrT, Wyness Round and the fans would think?

Well it depends a little on who we draw but in normal circumstances I'd say he would be 1 game away from the sack. 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

How can we favorites ahead of boro? that's bizarre 

Well you know bookies odds are not just a measure of strength or likelyhood.  We go through this on here every year :)