17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Hull have got a stack of loan players in their squad. Ranocchia, Markovic, Grosiki, Naiise were all regulars for them in their good run and I doubt Hull will be able to keep any of them so lose a lot of quality from that.

Also have to remember they're another club that at the start of the season were protesting about their ownership but called it off to focus on supporting the club to stay up. Now they're down I expect the protests to start up again.

You're not wrong.  But as we've seen in this league, because of the general lack of playing quality, the manager is hugely important.  Wagner has shown what you can do with a mediocre squad.  Silva has shown himself to be very good, and for me it's a simple case of Hull+Silva will be tricky and Hull-Silva will struggle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

You're not wrong.  But as we've seen in this league, because of the general lack of playing quality, the manager is hugely important.  Wagner has shown what you can do with a mediocre squad.  Silva has shown himself to be very good, and for me it's a simple case of Hull+Silva will be tricky and Hull-Silva will struggle.

Silva could get another premier league job or a job over Europe so I don't see what benefit he would get of staying. Barring one or two players they have a very average squad. If they keep some of their loans they might be top 6. I do think Boro out of the three will be the biggest threat. 

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't really see any way Silva is staying at Hull either. He's already being linked to Watford and Southampton and Porto might make a managerial change.

That would be my guess too, and it's why I worded my OP so negatively "If they can somehow ..." because I really don't think they would.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ranocchia, Markovic, Grosiki, Naiise were all regulars for them in their good run and I doubt Hull will be able to keep any of them so lose a lot of quality from that.

It doesn't change your point a whole lot, but Grosicki is not a loanee.  He signed for 3.5 years in January from Rennes.  If he's not sold, he'll be dynamite in this league.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Steve Gibson says Middlesbrough will be looking to "smash the Championship"

STEVE GIBSON claims Middlesbrough will be looking to “smash the league” when they return to the Championship next season, but has refused to confirm whether Steve Agnew will be retained in his current position as head coach.

Having been promoted 12 months ago, they will return to the Championship after just a solitary season in the top-flight, but Gibson is optimistic about their prospects next term.

The chairman insists the club are in a financially healthy position, and has pledged to spend a significant sum in order to ensure they are capable of mounting a strong promotion challenge.

“There’s only one place I want this club, and that’s in the Premier League,” said the Middlesbrough chairman, in an interview with BBC Tees. “We’re going to work our socks off to get back up there.

“We’ve got a great opportunity in terms of resource. The club is well run and we are in a good stable financial position.

We should have more resource going into next season than any other club.

“There can be no other objective – we want to smash the league next year. We want to go up next year as champions.

“You need to bring in a certain type of player if you’re going to do what I’ve just said we’re going to do. We have a core of players here who we feel are more than capable, but we need to add to them. There needs to be more flair in the team, and more pace in the team, and that’s what we’ll try to do.”

I think its a great mentality to have, and what we need to be thinking as well.

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

It doesn't change your point a whole lot, but Grosicki is not a loanee.  He signed for 3.5 years in January from Rennes.  If he's not sold, he'll be dynamite in this league.

Ah fair enough didn't realise.

I think looking at their squad they'll cash in on Harry Maguire and keep Davies and Dawson. I like Clucas in midfield, think a bottom 6 prem team will take him.

Them and Boro will challenge for play offs but I'd be amazed if either dominates the league like Newcastle did this season.

For likes of us, Sheffield, Derby and other existing championship sides, automatic promotion is there for the taking imo.

It's one thing for Boro to say that - another to enact it.  They've barely scored this season and have half a team bought from our dismal days.  Doesn't inspire confidence that they can buy well even if they do splash the cash.  I think they'll be more Norwich than Newcastle next season.

As long as Silva goes elsewhere, Hull will struggle and Sunderland are us a year on.  

The main challengers will be current Championship sides IMO.

Also not very smart of Gibson to say they have cash to spend, as they will pay over inflated fees like we had to. If it's players on loan would they rather go boro or villa? I'd say they wouldn't want to particularly go boro over us. We won't be spending much I feel, the key is getting the good loans eg Abraham 

We are in a position to mount a challenge next year along with a few other sides....

The teams that come down from the PL will be dangerous of course, but last year it was reasonably easier to predict the top two.

Newcastle had Rafa who had already started the recovery before they went down. Brighton were ready to go up after a few near misses...

No sides like either of them in this division next year (assuming Reading go up that is...)

4 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Wonder will Adama Traore stay with them next season? Maybe two consecutive relegations will give him the ego check he probably needs...

Three consecutive.  He went down with Barça B before we bought him :)

• Like 1

Interesting to see if monk renews his Leeds deal but the only club I'd worry about at this stage is derby - I think villa and derby should   both be the ones to set the pace , not too bothered about anyone else .

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Not that Sunderland were perceived as much of a threat next season, the news that moyes has resigned just puts them into more disarray.

excellent!

I'm actually gutted Moyes has gone

Sunderland might get someone in who knows what they are doing now

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

They need money and Ellis short is where Lerner was at a couple of years ago looking to sell up and not spend much - a club in turmoil.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Agree, never got the Moyes love in by the media.

He had a much bigger budget than the media tried to portray at Everton and as soon as he left them for Man Utd, Everton promptly got their highest total in a premier league season than during the Moyes era  - in their very first season without him. He went on to struggle with every job after that.

Edited by Junxs
grammar

15 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Not that Sunderland were perceived as much of a threat next season, the news that moyes has resigned just puts them into more disarray.

excellent!

I disagree.  They were a guaranteed car crash with Gollum in charge.  Now there's at least the possibility, however small, that they'll bring someone in who knows his onions.  And I don't mean Greg Wallace.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Looks like Carvahal might be on his way out of Sheffield Wednesday, rumoured to Porto with Pardew as his replacement. I would think that might weaken them a bit next season. 

Not that I think Pardew is anything other than the absolute end of a bell, but he does seem to have the David O'Leary factor i.e. a very good first season before everyone figures out how much of a dickhead he is.