17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

According to reports Bruce wants a  CB AM and a winger so I don't think Huddlestone will be joining.  

I wonder if Lyden and Tshibola will stay as cover for Jedinak. 

AM, DM, winger, its all the same thing. Sat just infront of the defence 40 yards behind a lone striker. :trollface:

Seriously though, wasn't that what Lansbury and Hourihane did at their former clubs? 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

AM, DM, winger, its all the same thing. Sat just infront of the defence 40 yards behind a lone striker. :trollface:

Seriously though, wasn't that what Lansbury and Hourihane did at their former clubs? 

Well Lansbury was more box to box Hourihane is the playmaker that can dictate the play.

Personally I think that we need a high energy tenacious midfielder in the holding role.

Which would then make Jedinak a CB pairing with Chester. Because I actually think that our strength at the moment is defending.

We need a winger with pace and skill that can deliver the ball from the left. 

Up front we are fine. Beyond our main three Kodjia, Hogan & Ross and the emerging Gabby. I think Davis is a better fit for us than RHM.

He caused problems for Brighton physically, I can see him scoring around 5 goals next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Personally I think that we need a high energy tenacious midfielder in the holding role.

Which would then make Jedinak a CB pairing with Chester. Because I actually think that our strength at the moment is defending.

Really disagree with this mate. The reason we done concede bucket loads of goals is because Bruce sets up with 8 blokes behind the ball (to the detriment of our forward play), not because we are any good at defending. 

21 minutes ago, KSV said:

Will be Greens break out year imo. He will be that winger we require.

I agree he will be an important asset next year and hope he delivers what he's already shown us on a regular basis. 

But.... I still think we need another fast and versatile winger in the transfer window for competition to Adomah and Green.

Grealish isn't quite a winger and isn't quick enough for that role either.

Currently we only have Adomah and Green as out and out wingers and have utilised Amavi (LB), Grealish (AM?), Hourihane (CM) and Gabby (Waste of Space) out of position to fill the role.

I like the look of the Barnsley lad, Watkins who is available on a free, can play either flank and (most importantly) can chip in with the odd goal. 

• Like 2

As we know, a lot can change from one season to the next. Nobody would have had Huddersfield and Reading down as the 2 teams to make the play-off final. In this league anything can happen. 

We have a manager that knows the league and how to get out of it. A good set of players, and a full preseason ahead of us. The comments from Wyness show a determination to get us up, and they're willing to back Bruce to get his targets. 

Hold on tight, because to me, next season will be a good one. I don't fear any of Sunderland, Boro or Hull, and we have decent records against them, and this season has shown we have nobody to fear in this league. Consistency is key. No long winless runs and we will be in that top 2. With Hogan, Kodjia and McCormack all bagging double figures, with goals from midfield too. Or is that a step too far?!

• Like 4

I'm perplexed as to why the the acceptable target seems, on here anyway, to have moved from top two to a play off place. Towards the end of last season, even Bruce's most ardent supporters mostly added the caveat, top two is the only acceptable result next season. Now it seems to be top six. Soon it will be mid table, before giving him the keys to the city for digging us out of the mire of the last few seasons and keeping us up with 2 games to go.

• Like 3

We're going up next year. And you know how I know? I got all the proof I need. Alternative fax, doncha know. Truth don't matter no more baby, all that matters nowadaze is what you believe and what you want to be true. Haters gonna hate, but mi gonna love da Brucie boy arrrrlll da way to day prem-i-uh leeeeg...

22 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I'm perplexed as to why the the acceptable target seems, on here anyway, to have moved from top two to a play off place. Towards the end of last season, even Bruce's most ardent supporters mostly added the caveat, top two is the only acceptable result next season. Now it seems to be top six. Soon it will be mid table, before giving him the keys to the city for digging us out of the mire of the last few seasons and keeping us up with 2 games to go.

I agree we should walk this division next season enough of the excuses time for Bruce to deliver.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

That is because people have come to understand that Championship has great depth of great teams and with 24 teams there will be always tough competition. 

Top 2 is the ultimate goal, but play-offs should be the first target to achieve. 

2 hours ago, Alakagom said:

That is because people have come to understand that Championship has great depth of great teams and with 24 teams there will be always tough competition. 

Top 2 is the ultimate goal, but play-offs should be the first target to achieve. 

They've certainly come to realise something. The toughness of the competition has never been in doubt, perhaps it's our preparedness to over come it that is in doubt. 

One of our main competitors next season - Can we compete against them?

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough/15284615.Steve_Gibson_says_Middlesbrough_will_be_looking_to__smash_the_Championship_/

Steve Gibson says Middlesbrough will be looking to "smash the Championship"

STEVE GIBSON claims Middlesbrough will be looking to “smash the league” when they return to the Championship next season, but has refused to confirm whether Steve Agnew will be retained in his current position as head coach.

Having been promoted 12 months ago, they will return to the Championship after just a solitary season in the top-flight, but Gibson is optimistic about their prospects next term.

The chairman insists the club are in a financially healthy position, and has pledged to spend a significant sum in order to ensure they are capable of mounting a strong promotion challenge.

“There’s only one place I want this club, and that’s in the Premier League,” said the Middlesbrough chairman, in an interview with BBC Tees. “We’re going to work our socks off to get back up there.

“We’ve got a great opportunity in terms of resource. The club is well run and we are in a good stable financial position.

We should have more resource going into next season than any other club.

“There can be no other objective – we want to smash the league next year. We want to go up next year as champions.

“You need to bring in a certain type of player if you’re going to do what I’ve just said we’re going to do. We have a core of players here who we feel are more than capable, but we need to add to them. There needs to be more flair in the team, and more pace in the team, and that’s what we’ll try to do.”

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I prefer them to say things like this, get the expectations high all the pressure is on them. they have to rebuild again, get a new manager. Alot of work to do there. We have potentially a great squad. Can they keep hold of Negredo? I doubt it he can do some much better than the championship. 

16 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Sunderland are next seasons villa. Hull and boro are nothing to fear. Very open next season

I tentatively agree, but for me the outlier is Hull.  If they can somehow keep Marco Silva in charge then he has shown he has enough about him to cause problems.  They probably wouldn't have come down if they'd had him earlier in the season.  So we're basically getting a team down that are already better than Premier League relegation but who did so off the back of Mike Phelan's 'efforts'.

16 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We obivously need to finish top 6.

I would prefer top 2 as it's a higher target to push the squad on. Given the lack of bottle we've shown in big matches over the last 20 years I also wouldn't trust us to get through high pressure matches in the play offs tbh.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

I tentatively agree, but for me the outlier is Hull.  If they can somehow keep Marco Silva in charge then he has shown he has enough about him to cause problems.  They probably wouldn't have come down if they'd had him earlier in the season.  So we're basically getting a team down that are already better than Premier League relegation but who did so off the back of Mike Phelan's 'efforts'.

Hull have got a stack of loan players in their squad. Ranocchia, Markovic, Grosiki, Naiise were all regulars for them in their good run and I doubt Hull will be able to keep any of them so lose a lot of quality from that.

Also have to remember they're another club that at the start of the season were protesting about their ownership but called it off to focus on supporting the club to stay up. Now they're down I expect the protests to start up again.