17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I'd like to think we're big enough to attract Cairney. I'd be very very happy with him being one of our 3-4 signings. 

Maybe McCormack can put in a good word and that'll go a little way to justifying his price tag haha 

Cairney is quality.

He's also had a billy big bollocks attitude off the pitch. I believe Bruce pied him off from Hull?

Until we gut the club of the likes of Gabby and Richards, signing these players is asking for trouble.

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Glad Fulham stayed down.  With Palace staying up, it's my nearest ground for away games.

And I'm glad Palace stayed up.  They'd have taken an automatic spot with Big Sam in charge.

• Like 2

Anyone remember how the odds looked before the start of this season?

Can't be bothered to search myself, but I imagine we were among the favorites? 

10 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone remember how the odds looked before the start of this season?

Can't be bothered to search myself, but I imagine we were among the favorites? 

Based on this post, which is decimalised so remove the stake, it would seem just after the season got going it was

Newcastle : 10/3
Norwich : 7/2
Brighton : 8/1
Aston Villa : 9/1
Sheff Wed : 12/1

I remember getting us at 14/1 after our initial wobble.

• Like 1

Can't believe we are so fancied. I think they are taking into account the Bruce factor.

I think Bruce actually works better on a smaller budget. I still think we have a good shot. We started so poorly I just can't see us starting anywhere near as bad.

Be good to get a derby game out of the way nice and early. Something like wolves or forest away 

This sounds more positive ! :)

Aston Villa chief's firm response to questions over Financial Fair Play fears

Aston Villa chief's firm response to questions over Financial Fair Play fears

AVFC chief executive Keith Wyness was quizzed over whether the club would face sanctions

Aston Villa will have money to strengthen their squad this summer and there are no fears of Financial Fair Play sanctions, chief executive Keith Wyness insists.

Villa are after ‘three or four’ new arrivals and boss Steve Bruce has been assured he will get the men he needs to mount a serious Championship promotion challenge next term.

Bruce has to sell before he can buy but Wyness is confident of quickly freeing up the cash as up to 10 players are expected to be shipped out in the coming months.Speaking at Villa Park today, he said:

“I know what Steve Bruce needs regarding the targets he wants and we’ll get those regardless.

“He has only asked for three or four players and we can do that.

“We’ll be able to do it easily from the proceeds of the players we’re going to sell out and at the same time adhere to financial fair play rules, which are there, and very clear for us.

“We are marginally just outside and have sort of breached the financial fair play, but we can easily adjust it with a mixture of commercial and player trading.

“We have no fears at all of breaching fair play this year. But, of course, that is a factor.”

According to the new rules, Villa can lose up to £83m in three seasons without being penalised.

Their last accounts show a deficit of £81.3m alone and it was thought that unless spending is reduced drastically, the club could be hit hard.

Wyness was quick to play down those fears, though.

“It’s marginal for this year, very marginal," he explained. “But we’re not anywhere near sanctions at all.

“They ask you to put in your budget for the season and the budget we put in showed we would have breached it.

“But that’s before any players transactions and commercial transactions.

“It’s just something we’re aware of. We are planning for it and we are aware of it.

“It’s not like ‘where did that come from?’. We can plan for the financial side. That’s not an issue for us.

“Financial Fair Play gets more serious next year but there are ways around that with property valuations and different bits of planning.

“It can be handled.”

3 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

where is the guarantee that someone will buy our shit-list?

Those guarantees, if they exist, tend to remain behind closed doors until the deal is done.   What he has said here is what he expects will happen.  So we can hold him to that, rather than trying to figure the specifics of private matters we'll never know any way.

9 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

It shines a bad light on the board that marginally breaching ffp without selling has got us 13th

Disagree GH. Reading Wyness's comments, I think it shows a board who are acutely aware of the rules and how to maximise our competative advantage without breaking them.

Without wanting to turn this into another stick for you to beat Bruce with, I think this shows a board doing everything they can to get us up. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Godders said:

Disagree GH. Reading Wyness's comments, I think it shows a board who are acutely aware of the rules and how to maximise our competative advantage without breaking them.

Without wanting to turn this into another stick for you to beat Bruce with, I think this shows a board doing everything they can to get us up. 

Exactly.  Given the thread topic (hint hint everyone :wave: ), I'd say the quotes are very positive.

1 hour ago, Godders said:

I didnt mention Bruce

5 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

where is the guarantee that someone will buy our shit-list?

Probably on the same shelf as the guarantee that a different manager will do better. 

The club know what they're doing and until solid proof to the contrary I have every faith in next seasons prospects. 

Edited by Villan_of_oz

17 hours ago, BOF said:

“I know what Steve Bruce needs regarding the targets he wants and we’ll get those regardless.

This bit in particular sounds very confident. 

It kinda sounds like he's confident we'll get the 3/4 players SB has asked for, rather than just being confident on the numbers.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

This bit in particular sounds very confident. 

It kinda sounds like he's confident we'll get the 3/4 players SB has asked for, rather than just being confident on the numbers.

Huddlestone, Alex Bruce, Johnstone and ?

Just now, sne said:

Huddlestone, Alex Bruce, Johnstone and ?

Abel Hernández :D

Joking aside, I'd take Huddlestone in a heart beat.