17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

I'm resigned to the fact that Bruce is going to be given more time and just hope it will be a very positive season (somehow) but when I look over the squad it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. So much work yet to be done and plenty of wheeling & dealing to be sorted.

(apologies for any errors, half asleep when typing this up)

When I look over the team that we have (and could/would be starting the season, minus any incoming transfers), it just looks weak tbh and desperately in need of strengthening, if it is going to be a title/promotion contender:

Johnstone

Bree       Chester       Baker       Taylor

Jedinak/Bjarnason?

Hourihane     Lansbury

Adomah                          Grealish/Green

Hogan

Reserves/Bench:

Steer?

De Laet

Hutton

Elphick/Richards

Samba/Bedeau?

Gardner :(

Bacuna :(

Tshibola?

Lyden

Gabby (how do we get rid?)

RHM (should be involved)

McCormack?

Injured:

Kodjia

Presumed outgoings:

All foreign, loaned players (Cissokho, Gil, Gollini, Sanchez, Veretout)

Amavi

Bunn

Elphick/Richards?

Tshibola?

McCormack?

Could get over £20m if all are shifted???

Plenty of fund for strengthening if they are generated in good time...

Need to strengthen CB, DM, LW, RW

ST? GK? AM?

Ideal outgoings (imo):

Bunn

Cissokho

Elphick

Richards (how?)

Hutton

Bacuna (unlikely)

Gardner (unlikely)

Gabby (unlikely)

McCormack

Hull and Sunderland are not a big concern. Boro may be depends who stays and who goes to be honest. For me them selling Rhodes and replacing him.with rudy was really poor business.

I think blose may be a force as much as I hate to say as candleface will be able to attract names. Derby, Leeds reading or Wednesday (if one or neither go up) i think brentford will be a surprise package

Can't see Huddersfield having a season like this again next year.

Talk of Wagner going to Norwich so they'll be a force next season which should be expected with their squad (very much like us their mentality was all wrong this year) and yeah think this is Huddersfield's chance otherwise they'll fade into obscurity next season.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Talk of Wagner going to Norwich so they'll be a force next season which should be expected with their squad (very much like us their mentality was all wrong this year) and yeah think this is Huddersfield's chance otherwise they'll fade into obscurity next season.

Really ? - I think Wagner will come unstuck at his next club....

Now the 3 relegated clubs are confirmed do we have odds for next season  (can't get to betting sites at work) 

26 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really ? - I think Wagner will come unstuck at his next club....

Now the 3 relegated clubs are confirmed do we have odds for next season  (can't get to betting sites at work) 

When Hull came down we went out to 8/1 with someone at 10s (Boro I think) and a few others at 12s (including Hull).  So we're still favourites, perhaps until 3 of the playoff sides don't go up.

Maybe I am making this up but it seems a play-off hangover happens a lot in this division. 

Looking at Wikipedia I think 3 of losing finalists went up the next season since 2004

23 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Really? You can't see us "Anywhere near"? We already have one of, if not the strongest squad currently in the league.

It just needs some tweaking/gelling and proper management.

Saying we won't get promoted is one thing but "not anywhere near" is a major exaggeration I feel.

Well what does that say about his inability to reach the play off's with the squad as you suggest  JV - not a ringing endorsement I would say  ? 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2017 at 17:02, TRO said:

He is alleged to have said in one paper..."its now my team, they are meant to reflect me.....no way is this team refelcting me and my persona"

much work as you say.

I think some who we think are ok, will go too.

make of that what you will.

2 hours ago, thunderball said:

Any one optimistic about next season, really?

I am! But then I'm always optimistic ahead of a new season, it's the potential of what might be. That's usually zapped away fairly quickly when I realise nothing's changed. I'm optimistic that we can challenge the top 6 this time around. We might not win the league but I think we'll be a lot better than last season. 

I may be wrong but I'm willing to wait and see. 

5 hours ago, Dave J said:

Well what does that say about his inability to reach the play off's with the squad as you suggest  JV - not a ringing endorsement I would say  ? 

It is not, however as you know I am going to say consider the "variables" we have had to endure over the course of the season.

If I am truthful though, Bruce is more of a worry for me than the actual squad.

I am on the fence.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

Maybe I am making this up but it seems a play-off hangover happens a lot in this division. 

Looking at Wikipedia I think 3 of losing finalists went up the next season since 2004

What about the losing semi-finalists I wonder i.e. how often was the promoted side in the playoffs at all the previous season.

Who would you prefer to go up from this year's playoff teams? I'm thinking Sheffield Wednesday might be best, they were up there last season, had a better season this year and would be one of our main challengers next year if they stay down. Reading and Huddersfield have potential to drop away next year, not sure they can do it again. Fulham are a tricky one, depends who stays on if they don't go up. 

• Like 1

I am usually optimistic, but am really concerned, especially with the lack of output and progress from the 'experienced' players we bought in Jan, the lack of chemistry, injuries, financial fair play and the fact that Bruce hasn't got it ticking in the time he has had with them.

Others without the burden of 'big club' around their necks, are playing better and scoring. The added pressure of the end of parachute payments means Bruce is under pressure or face the sack, we could be looking for another new manager in October..... we go again......

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Who would you prefer to go up from this year's playoff teams? I'm thinking Sheffield Wednesday might be best, they were up there last season, had a better season this year and would be one of our main challengers next year if they stay down. Reading and Huddersfield have potential to drop away next year, not sure they can do it again. Fulham are a tricky one, depends who stays on if they don't go up. 

As a traditionalist I would like to see Wednesday back up.  They've served their time and the Premier League needs the big clubs back.  From a Villa perspective I don't think there's much advantage either way in getting rid of one of Reading, Fulham or Wednesday as the other 2 will be strong next season as well.  It's only the Huddersfield bubble I'm expecting to see bursting soon.

• Like 1