17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

16 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I had a little look at this the other day too. For what it’s worth, I think we’ll pick up more than 3 points from Norwich (a), Cardiff (h), Leeds (h) and Ipswich (a).

I've only got us losing 3 more games which I don't think will happen looking back at it. Then again we have only lost 2 in 15 so always possible. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

But thats not likely to happen though is it? We are going to drop points in games so we need to have a winning ratio of games and need the teams above us to drop more points than we do. Even if we do win all our games Cardiff are above us therefore if they won all their games they get promoted

Forest away won't be easy for Cardiff. Nottingham Forest are strong at home. Think Warnock also has a terrible record down the years at Reading. Cardiff aren't a team that scores a huge amount so can see them drawing a few of those games.

11 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Dem, Cardiff are not winning all their games, I promise you. They have a smaller squad, and will dip at some point. They're only managed by Colin afterall. He's done well so far, but he'd be breaking the habit of a lifetime he lasted the season with consistently good results

Warnock has most promotions dosen't he? And he's also finished in the play offs many more times.

Guy knows what he's doing down here. He actually said on the radio last night he'd probably quit if Cardiff go up as he hates the premier league.

I think missing Kodjia could be the difference between success and failure.  It's possible to get by in the short term without a player like that, but over the course of a season you will miss him at some point and I think his contribution would have been key.  That's not to say we can't or won't make it, but it has been made much harder now.  We're about to go into a key part of the season without arguably our 2 best players.  One at either end.  No bueno :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

Dem, Cardiff are not winning all their games, I promise you. They have a smaller squad, and will dip at some point. They're only managed by Colin afterall. He's done well so far, but he'd be breaking the habit of a lifetime he lasted the season with consistently good results

Yeah they of course wont win them all pal was just highlighting of we won all our games it doesnt matter if cardiff do. As it stands we need any of the two wolves, cardiff and sheffield united to drop points if we have aspirations to go up as well as winning games. Cardiff are a concern as warnocks experienced manager.  I do fancy us to avenge that defeat earlier in the season. Grealish seems to have a dislike to them also so hppefully he will put in another performance like when he destroyed them at villa park.

I still think boro are a big threat. They have a very good squad and decent manager in monk. I think they are capable of going on a run. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think missing Kodjia could be the difference between success and failure.  It's possible to get by in the short term without a player like that, but over the course of a season you will miss him at some point and I think his contribution would have been key.  That's not to say we can't or won't make it, but it has been made much harder now.  We're about to go into a key part of the season without arguably our 2 best players.  One at either end.  No bueno :(

A lot will depend on who we get in January and how well they do. Failing that, Hogan finding some kind of form. 

Just now, omariqy said:

A lot will depend on who we get in January and how well they do. Failing that, Hogan finding some kind of form. 

We'll have played 8 more league games by the time we can add anyone to the squad though.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

We'll have played 8 more league games by the time we can add anyone to the squad though.

Yup. Which is why we just need to stay in the race. I don't expect us to close the gap before Jan. I am hoping we stay within 6 points of the top 2. It will take some effort though and Keinan Davis to play his bloody socks off. Our ray of sunshine may be Grealish, who will bring a totally different type of play to our team. You never know we might actually get Hogan playing well. Well we can hope.

• Like 3

Just now, omariqy said:

Yup. Which is why we just need to stay in the race. I don't expect us to close the gap before Jan. I am hoping we stay within 6 points of the top 2. It will take some effort though and Keinan Davis to play his bloody socks off. Our ray of sunshine may be Grealish, who will bring a totally different type of play to our team. You never know we might actually get Hogan playing well. Well we can hope.

And O'Hare might get a sniff too.

excited-baby-back-car.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Furthermore, i think it denies the opportunity to play that better quality football, we all desire.

without our key players.....i see the football continuing to be scrappy, until we can get reinforcements.

A few short weeks ago I was banging on about a little mini league of 5 of the top 8 (at the time) playing each other. Wolves came out of that well, Bristol City answered a few questions, We basically trod water, however Preston and Fulham fell away. Meanwhile Sheff Utd went marching on, Cardiff - like us - did ok and Leeds have had an awful run.

Whilst we haven't ultimately taken the chances when they came along to catch up a bit (notably SHA and Sheff Weds) they have presented themselves. And they will again. It may well sound easy on this level - because it is - we just have to stop dropping points at crucial times. The poor start is always going to matter - we put ourselves up against it from the start.

I don't think Cardiff or Bristol City have enough strength in depth to cope if they lose a few key players. And with Bristol City for instance Baker is one of those players I'd say was key for them. I don't know much about either the Wolves second string to be fair or Sheff Utd although in their case they have to be due at least a few draws at some point surely!?! Although they are changing my opinion on them I have to say. They are the ones I thought would drop away a bit as Leeds and Preston have, so respect to them.

Middlesbrough and us have a little more strength in depth than the others although I'd like us to have reached the peak of our injury list for the season if the footy gods are taking note.

Norwich don't seem to have enough goals in them. Sheff Weds seem pretty inconsistent. Ipswich and Leeds can be hard to beat but both have lost a lot of games so far. Derby have crept up on the rails a bit and put a nice run together. Especially if they can win their game in hand - They'll be right up there chasing the pack at the top with us and 'Boro.

At the same time I think Cardiff are being a bit underrated by everyone. Warnock has got them well drilled. They finished last season very strongly. In many ways he has done there what we all expect Bruce to have done here. Along with Wolves they dismantled us too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, omariqy said:

I had a go at predicting our remaining games. 85 points would be about 3 points short I reckon.

Prediction.PNG.7314426cee0edec79196a429cf5b6c6d.PNG

From that lot I get 81pts

We will do extremely well to only lose 3 games from 29

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I don't mind if we lose 5 as long as we don't draw too many. Draws kill you in this league. 

Draws (and defeats) can come from winning positions. Any team is good for a goal, be it a mistake from us, a worldy or ref‘s decision.

Somehow, we’d be better off trying to counter this possibility by getting 2 up (or more) before we try to see things home.

Situations make games. S‘land had a go despite being shit. factually the difference in the „numbers at the top left of the screen“ was a deflected goal which left their GK with no chance.

The stats can tell many different stories.

S‘land out possesioned us - but we outscored them

our pass completion was lower - but our last „pass“ before the ball hits the net was higher by 1.

as long as AV v Ch teams = 4pts every 2 games we have a chance of going up.

If this thread (and others) could rid itself of the „I‘m right and you‘re wrong“ (EVERYONE has been guilty of this) and the arguements from both sides agreeing to disagree we may come to at least some sort of debate pro/contra that doesn‘t make the likes of bfHV want to hang himself.

I‘ve already come to the conclusion that I hate the football we play and disagree that its a recipy for success. I don‘t enjoy watching us, in fact its both nerve-wracking and annoying, and it goes against my philosophy of how sport should be played.

IF, However, we get promoted, I‘ll go wee-hey, still shaking my head in disbelief, and look forward to a new chapter in our clubs history beginning back in the PL.

So by my logic, if we don‘t go up I‘ll have no illusions why it didnt happen and will be as disappointed as the next fan. If we do I‘ll be as happy as all the other „pigs in sh*t“ that make up the fanbase.

It‘s a given that all the Brucians will be happy if we go up (1 or 2 fold - 1 because we‘ll be in the PL & 2 they‘ll be forgiven for having a little bit of a gloat) But how are they going to feel if we don‘t?

Robbed of their right to be right?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BOF said:

I think we've looked much better when he's not played to be honest

These claims of only securing points against the lower league teams, is a cheap attempt to harbour doubts about us.

its interesting how bottom of the table Bolton after getting beaten 1-0 by us have not lost a league game.....bet those teams are happy, particularly Sheff Wed who have conceded to the double.

These lower teams should not be rubbished.

I think we sometimes glean doubts in to our thinking that are unhelpful.....predictions count for nothing.....we can only beat who is in front of us and until we meet these teams its not worth fretting about.

chill and enjoy.

Edited by TRO