Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

He'd agreed to join and then a Premier League club offering more money came in for him. Thoughts of his footballing development were probably further down his list of criteria. Worth a guess though, right?

Even if he was using that as a pretext, and his agent actually put that reason out there, IMO, it was the right decision in regard to developing his career. And I get no joy out of saying that whatsoever.

Call me crazy but I think the last 20-30 minutes of the game yesterday was crying out for a player like Hogan. I remember one particular scenario where McGinn won the ball in midfield and was driving forward. It was calling out for a striker to make a run beyond the defence as we had numbers going forward, Kodja didn't bother to make a run 'cos he was knackered/sulking. Hogan with fresh legs would have made that run. RHM would have made that run. It was infuriating seeing Kodja stay on for as long as he did yesterday.

• Like 4

if we loan him out, we NEED to sign another striker on loan, otherwise it won't make any sense for us and we haven't been linked to many others and the Abraham link seems to have died down. 

Would look forward to seeing him linking up with Grealish/McGinn thou

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Call me crazy but I think the last 20-30 minutes of the game yesterday was crying out for a player like Hogan. I remember one particular scenario where McGinn won the ball in midfield and was driving forward. It was calling out for a striker to make a run beyond the defence as we had numbers going forward, Kodja didn't bother to make a run 'cos he was knackered/sulking. Hogan with fresh legs would have made that run. RHM would have made that run. It was infuriating seeing Kodja stay on for as long as he did yesterday.

Think you are on to something, one thing Hogan is is a nuisance for the back line.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Think you are on to something, one thing Hogan is is a nuisance for the back line.

Agreed. I know strikers are ultimately judged on goals, and Hogan hasn't been prolific in that area, but given that i don't think Kodjia is going to score enough to justify his inclusion solely on that basis then other attributes need to be considered. 

It's like when Davis first broke into the team, he wasn't scoring but many of us felt we looked better as a team with him in it. I feel Hogan could be similar in this current team. 

Firstly his positioning. He holds his postion as a CF much more than Kodjia, the amount of times we broke on Saturday and there was absolutely no one in the middle because Kodjia had wondered over to the wing was quite frustrating. 

Secondly his pressing/workrate. With Grealish, McGinn, and the 2 new wingers i think our midfield would benefit from that high pressing. We will never get that from Kodjia because quite simply he is lazy. 

I'm not a huge fan of Hogan, he isn't a £12m player in a month of sundays, and ultimately our frontline needs to be improved upon (scary when you think we have spent close to £40m on it, but that's a debate for a different day). I just think that given our current set-up, he could well be the best option from a pretty bad bunch. 

I wouldn't loan him out but I fear that he doesn't Bruce's style, which begs the questions A) Why did he buy him and B) Did he buy him? 

I reckon Bruce thinks that he can play either of Bolasie, Adomah, El Ghazi, Hepburn-Murphy or McKirdy there so might as well offload some wages for the rest of the season. 

On 22/08/2018 at 16:01, Dante_Lockhart said:

He signed for Villa.

Lansbury was immense at Forest, look what happened.

Immense? Lansbury was bang average at Forest, yeah he had a good game against us and scored but lots of average run of the mill players do. Can give lots examples of the years

Forest fans couldn't stand him and was glad he went as he had a Big Time Charlie attitude.

Edited by Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Villan4Life said:

Immense? Lansbury was bang average at Forest, yeah he had a good game against us and scored but lots of average run of the mill players do. Can give lots examples of the years

Forest fans couldn't stand him and was glad he went as he had a Big Time Charlie attitude.

Well, we knocked that out of him!! :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

That is just nonsense.

Is it?

He's been rubbish almost every time I've watched him in a Villa shirt. He's had one good season in his entire career to date, and it looks like he's around 4th choice striker in a team where we only have 2 senior strikers, including him.

The guy has been **** toilet for 18 months here. When does the benefit of the doubt run out? How long will the "Oh but we don't play the way he likes to play" bollocks get old?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Because he's rubbish.

A serious question for you Stevo - you clearly can't stand Hogan ( your view and one which I understand you are entitled to and which I have no issue with ) however you and I went toe to toe for months on end regarding you know who a player so ridiculously out of touch out of form and could not hit a cows rear end with a banjo - but you championed his cause - please don't call me obsessed - just out of interest why would you be so dismissive of Hogan and not you know who - when the reality is Hogan is in my view a lot more likely to nick a goal now - than he was at any point of his last 3 seasons with us.

i'd welcome you full opinion on this.

3 minutes ago, Dave J said:

A serious question for you Stevo - you clearly can't stand Hogan ( your view and one which I understand you are entitled to and which I have no issue with ) however you and I went toe to toe for months on end regarding you know who a player so ridiculously out of touch out of form and could not hit a cows rear end with a banjo - but you championed his cause - please don't call me obsessed - just out of interest why would you be so dismissive of Hogan and not you know who - when the reality is Hogan is in my view a lot more likely to nick a goal now - than he was at any point of his last 3 seasons with us.

I'd like you to find any post where I championed Gabby's cause.

I may have defended him on one or two issues, but I haven't wanted him anywhere near the team for years.

I may have gone as far as to suggest he played vs Blues because he always scored against them, but even that was tongue in cheek.

Edit: and to clarify, it's not that I can't stand Hogan. Quite the opposite, I like the guy. I like his attitude, he always gives 100% and his heart is in the right place. He's just shit at football.

Edited by Stevo985

I'm with stevo on Hogan, I mean he's a trier for sure, can't knock his attitude at all, but he is a really poor player. 

Its such a cop out to say we don't play to his strength, and that seems to be because his only strength is waiting for the rest of the team to put chances on a plate for him all game so he can finish 10% of them. Aside from his work rate, which is class, I don't see one other single attribute that he excels at or that would be difficult to replace.

I don't particularly rate RHM (yet), but if our team was putting chances on a plate for him a dozen times a game which is apparently "all" Hogan needs I'd fancy him to score more than Hogan because I've seen RHM actually control a football before, rather than have it just bounce off his shin for a throw in, so I'm confident he's at least as good a player 

2 hours ago, Dave J said:

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â