Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Dick said:

Do you not agree that we need more defence splitting balls, low crosses and creative okay to benefit Hogan and Kodjia? Kodjia gets so frustrated he tries to do it all himself 

Also, I'd probably say long ball is the wrong term, high ball makes more sense. Balls aimed at players head and chest.

We do yes - you always need more of those.

But don't forget the opposition put outs a defence out to stop such passes, players train for years to stop such passes. So in professional football even at championship level - you will at best get on average around 2 defence splitting passes per game. Most of the time the striker will have to beat the defender, or compete with him to get his shot in. The problem with Hogan that too many times the defender comes out on top.

Look at the goals we have scored this season - how many of those have been a defence splitting pass ? - most of them the recipient of the ball still has a good whack to do before he gets his shot in. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

But don't forget the opposition put outs a defence out to stop such passes, players train for years to stop such passes. So in professional football even at championship level - you will at best get on average around 2 defence splitting passes per game. Most of the time the striker will have to beat the defender, or compete with him to get his shot in. The problem with Hogan that too many times the defender comes out on top.

Look at the goals we have scored this season - how many of those have been a defence splitting pass ? - most of them the recipient of the ball still has a good whack to do before he gets his shot in. 

Sorry to be that guy, but 4 of the 7 goals we've scored have been scored with the players 1st touch? Noones had anything much to do at all after recieving the ball.  So I don't understand your point. 2 have been short runs with Elmo and Hutton, the other was an own goal. 

31 minutes ago, hippo said:

Do other teams have opponents that try to negate their attack as well?  ?

40 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Sorry to be that guy, but 4 of the 7 goals we've scored have been scored with the players 1st touch? Noones had anything much to do at all after recieving the ball.  So I don't understand your point. 2 have been short runs with Elmo and Hutton, the other was an own goal. 

But the initial statement was that hogan would be ok - if he we delivered the ball to him via a defence splitting pass - IE no defenders around him.  The theory being that he could run onto through ball and whack it into the net. Of the goals we have scored I don't think any of them have been like that.  Foe example the Thor winner on Saturday was one touch - but he still had to get past the defender. 

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Some fair and good points mate. I've been up since 1am so my brain isn't functioning, I try and come back to this later. ?

4 hours ago, hippo said:

In a nutshell......A player has to fight for the advantage.

A poor first touch, a slow reaction, losing possession through physicality, make the wrong runs.....these are all things the player must deal with.

What he did at Brentford, was then.....Have they come back in for him?.....He has to work on getting the things right, that make him a "player".....his last outings he looked like a passenger.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa89 said:

Starter for ten, which striker did Aston Villa bizarrely waste £12m on in January of 2017? 

I feel you should refine this to say which Aston Villa manager - and add on - didn't have a clue how to integrate him into his team ?

To defend Bruce, Hogan knew what kind of style Bruce plays, it's been no surprise to anybody. He maybe joined for the club size, much more likely for the money. 

I can't help but feel like he should have bulked up a little and worked on fitting into our style of play. Both parties are to blame though because the coaching team should have been instructing him to work on playing within our style 

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

To defend Bruce, Hogan knew what kind of style Bruce plays, it's been no surprise to anybody. He maybe joined for the club size, much more likely for the money. 

I can't help but feel like he should have bulked up a little and worked on fitting into our style of play. Both parties are to blame though because the coaching team should have been instructing him to work on playing within our style 

It's not the players fault another club decided to buy him for a large fee, triple his wages, and not research the player's abilities at all. Bruce even admitted he knew little of Hogan before we signed him. West Ham's interest in him made us make a rash decision when signing him. 

If Villa decided to make me an assistant manager, you think I'd say no because I am under qualified? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

It's not the players fault another club decided to buy him for a large fee, triple his wages, and not research the player's abilities at all. Bruce even admitted he knew little of Hogan before we signed him. West Ham's interest in him made us make a rash decision when signing him. 

If Villa decided to make me an assistant manager, you think I'd say no because I am under qualified? 

You may not....but you would soon get found out and look pretty stupid.

19 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I think with McGinn & Grealish in the team Hogan is a far better option up front than Kodija and likely to score far more goals with some quick balls played to him rather than just lumping it up to him on his own for much of last year.

I was thinking this about Hogan when reading the links to Odegaard and how he might suit his playing style.

17 hours ago, TRO said:

You may not....but you would soon get found out and look pretty stupid.

That was how I viewed it. Can't knock him for taking the pay rise and large transfer fee but he knew that came with joining a club that plays very differently to Brentford and if he was to have a good career here he'd need to progress and develop. If anything he's gone backwards since joining. 

17 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Anyone feel free to correct me but I am sure when Hogan signed there were questions of was it a panic signing and Bruce made a point of saying he has had his eye on Hogan for a long time.

Which makes the signing even more bizarre.

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

That was how I viewed it. Can't knock him for taking the pay rise and large transfer fee but he knew that came with joining a club that plays very differently to Brentford and if he was to have a good career here he'd need to progress and develop. If anything he's gone backwards since joining. 

There have been many players who have forged a good career at Villa Park, who's previous clubs have played different to us....It happens all the time.

Alan Shearer touched on the self same point not long ago and said......A professional footballer playing at this level has to adapt.

I don't know what he is or isn't doing.....but if it was me, I would be back grafting every afternoon when the others had gone and fine tuning my game.....I would be in that first team.

I know players too, who would take the same view.

I can tell you as a fact.....No one would have taken Andy Gray's shirt off him.

Scott Hogan is not the biggest to be playing that role and with high balls it is difficult, I accept that.....But players like Dean Saunders, David Speedie, and Craig Bellemy, made a fist of it.....Kenny Dalglish, was smaller than Scott.....Scott is the same height as Andy.

Scott needs to demonstrate more aggression......More aggression with himself to master his game and more aggression with the opposition in gaining the advantage.

• Like 2

Â