Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Nobody hates him.

And it's not a few games without a goal. It's 14 months without a goal apart from a run of 5 games.

I agree. Nobody is hating him like they do for example Onomah. Fans just feel he doesn't offer enough in games.  If it's because he is starved of service then surely we need to accept that's just how we play and our striker needs to do more than just wait for the perfect ball in to him. 

I think it's a valid criticism. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree. Nobody is hating him like they do for example Onomah. Fans just feel he doesn't offer enough in games.  If it's because he is starved of service then surely we need to accept that's just how we play and our striker needs to do more than just wait for the perfect ball in to him. 

I think it's a valid criticism. 

I think the starved of service line is wearing thin as well now.

I don't think it's actually true.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the starved of service line is wearing thin as well now.

I don't think it's actually true.

Grabban seems to be doing OK service wise.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody hates him.

I certainly don't. In fact I like him a lot. His attitude seems excellent, he always looks to give 100% and he seems like an all round decent bloke.
The problem is he's not very good at football.

And it's not a few games without a goal. It's 14 months without a goal apart from a run of 5 games.

I think you'll find that was one goal in 14 months. Check your " stats " , and please, keep them from me.

29 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

You already checked, remember ? I don't do hatred. Now stop chomping at that bit.

Champing, not chomping !

You did just accuse anybody who doesn't rate Hogan as being a "hater"to be fair .

Needless.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think you'll find that was one goal in 14 months. Check your " stats " , and please, keep them from me.

Apologies. One goal in 14 months.

I'm not sure that massively changes the argument though.

1 hour ago, Brumerican said:

Champing, not chomping !

You did just accuse anybody who doesn't rate Hogan as being a "hater"to be fair .

Needless.

Chomping/ champing , its the same thing . Now that is needless. As for the hate remark, it's a case of, " if the cap fits ".

24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Chomping/ champing , its the same thing . Now that is needless. As for the hate remark, it's a case of, " if the cap fits ".

Why would any Villa fan hate Hogan ?

Who is this fictional cap wearing Villa fan ?

2 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

You already checked, remember ? I don't do hatred. Now stop chomping at that bit.

Ah okay, forgot that when it's aimed at the Manager it's fair game but if it's aimed at a player it's deemed as 'hating'.

Must remember this for future.

• Like 2

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Same reason they would hate Westwood, Hutton and many more.

I'm not "they". Whoever "they" are.

Hutton has been one of my favourite players this season. 

I find it extremely hard to "hate" anything Villa related.

Give me a shout when you pin down this Hogan hater. 

Hate is a ridiculous word to use in context of professional footballers ability - I cannot stand Gabby as a footballer but blimey I would never dream of saying I hate him - that would be wrong. Anyway back on topic - I believe that with Hogan up top then you do need to make plans to accommodate him otherwise there is little point in playing him - I actually like his approach to the game and I still find it surprising that SB having paid big money has not seen it necessary to try and make better use of Hogan.?

3 hours ago, BOF said:

When Hogan and Grealish start together this season we've played 7 and won 6 (18pts, 2.57ppg, 85.71% win ratio, 16 scored, 5 for Hogan).
The one we didn't win was their first game together at the now-almost-notorious Boxing Day calamity away to Brentford.

Since gameweek 24 (@Brentford) in games where Hogan has started without Grealish, we have played 5 and won 3 (10pts, 2.33ppg, 9 scored, 0 for Hogan).

It must be said the most recent 3 have benefitted from the emergence of Grabban, otherwise things would have been worse.

It's fairly clear, and has been for a while now, that Hogan needs Grealish.  You can call that a flaw if you want.  It isn't one, because some strikers need service.

It looks to me like if Grealish starts then you go with Hogan up top.  Who you put alongside him is up to you.

Quite a small sample size to really prove anything about Hogan. 

And if anything this mainly shows the importance of Grealish, whoever played upfront with Grealish would benefit, and as a team we would benefit if our striker could touch the ball more and actually make more than 3-4 passes.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Quite a small sample size to really prove anything about Hogan. 

And if anything this mainly shows the importance of Grealish, whoever played upfront with Grealish would benefit, and as a team we would benefit if our striker could touch the ball more and actually make more than 3-4 passes.

TBH it wasn't about proving anything.  I was just providing the numbers for others to interpret as they wish.  One major difference in those numbers is Hogan scoring 5 in 7 with Grealish and 0 in 5 without him.  I agree the team benefits from having Grealish in it regardless of who is up front, but if you've got someone whose game clearly benefits from playing with Jack then maybe you play them.

Â