Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

30 minutes ago, vreitti said:

He isn't shit, far from it. Boulding, Djemba-Djemba and Bowery were shit.

Hogan is just not good enough, for where we are, or want to be.

Boulding was a youth prospect not a £13million striker. I don't even think Lambert believed in Bowery. I could go on, they were all bad signings but they didn't cost £9-13 million and get signed on likely decent wages (as you would at that price). I've only seen a few players I outright thought were way out of their depth and they were the likes of Tonev, Sylla and Luna. Hogan for me unfortunately is the same. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vreitti said:

He isn't shit, far from it. Boulding, Djemba-Djemba and Bowery were shit.

Hogan is just not good enough, for where we are, or want to be.

I look forward to our £10m forward writing his autobiography, and he can use that as the strapline on the front cover:

"Scott Hogan - Not as Shit as Jordan Bowery"

What an accolade!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep he had a good 5 game run. Since then he's scored nothing. Before that he scored one league goal in 12 months.

But sure, be as positive as you wish. It's literally exactly the same amount of productive as me being negative

His form dropped when we lost Jack and Alby. No suprises there. They fed him. Suited his style. I'd start grabban though

15 minutes ago, KSV said:

His form dropped when we lost Jack and Alby. No suprises there. They fed him. Suited his style. I'd start grabban though

What about the 12 months before that?

16 minutes ago, Risso said:

I'm trying to think of a previous player who has had quite so many excuses made for him, and am stuggling to think of anyone.

Savo? JPA? - It took them ages to settle, too. Doesn't/didn't make any of them bad players. One man's excuse is another's reason.

• Like 2

He is a limited player but Bruce knew that when he signed him. He works in a certain style. We have played that style in about 7 or 8 games and he scored 5. Now I agree that for £12m you should get more for your money and he should be better as an all round player but it's worked for him throughout his career and he didn't ask us to pay that much for him. It's obvious Grabban is the better player right now and maybe going forward. Personally I would rater back Hogan then not. I am sure he will make an important contribution before the seasons end. Without his goals no way we would be fighting for 2nd. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

Savo? JPA? - It took them ages to settle, too. Doesn't/didn't make any of them bad players. One man's excuse is another's reason.

I don't think so personally.

JPA didn't set the world alight after joining in half way through the season, but only played 8 games and did score a goal that helped relegate Coventry.  The following season, his first full one, he was excellent pretty well from the off.  I remember the Southampton away game when he and Hendrie absolutely tore them a new one in a 3-1 victory.  Savo took a while to settle, but it was clear from his general all round play that he was a very good player without quite being the out and out striker we needed.  I don't recall people making excuses for him in any case mind.  Lots of people incorrectly said he was shit "Missalotevic" but he was a key part of the partnership with Yorke that worked so well for a couple of seasons.

He will be sold in the summer if we go up. Nothing against Hogan, but he just doesn't suit Bruce's playing style at all. If we had Grealish fit from the start of the season, I think Hogan would have scored a lot more goals, but without Grealish, Hogan is a passenger in this team. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, omariqy said:

He is a limited player but Bruce knew that when he signed him. He works in a certain style. We have played that style in about 7 or 8 games and he scored 5. Now I agree that for £12m you should get more for your money and he should be better as an all round player but it's worked for him throughout his career and he didn't ask us to pay that much for him. It's obvious Grabban is the better player right now and maybe going forward. Personally I would rater back Hogan then not. I am sure he will make an important contribution before the seasons end. Without his goals no way we would be fighting for 2nd. 

His goals all came from crosses. When have we not tried to do that this season? And as I said earlier in the thread, maybe if we had a striker who wasn’t so utterly one dimensional we’d actually be closer to first than we are. Even this season, his return on goals to games played is pretty miserable. He’s easily the worst player in the side at the moment and is nowhere near the level of Chester, Terry, Adomah or Grealish. Or even Hutton or Hourihane.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He just isn't very good. 

Average dribbling skills. Abysmal ability to pass the ball. Abysmal ability to hold the ball up. Poor goal scoring. 

What does he do well?

Sadly.......i think you are right.

I been post about him age ago, what I been mentioned about his weak and strength in area;

* He don't suitable as target man roles (0% chance to threat other team with him), Bruce playing him which are in ending failed, also Bruce try play him from build up from deep for me he is can play in deep lay forward (involved team build up from deep and generate to attack) it is not his best skill and potential, not yet he still will to threat other team (about 25-50% chance) he need time as he is still young for his age, to developed very good footballer but we can't afford wait for him to reach high and maximum potential as we need return to premiership.

* his forward roles which is poacher (50-100% chance) which can finisher when required and right space to running in box or outside box to find space to feed other team, which are his BIG Strength but Bruce not play his strength which make him look like flop.

I don't know why Bruce buy him first place when he is not ideal of Bruce style football, when we brought him I was thought it is good move because play 4-2-3-1 with Grealish and Abomah in winger and Lansbury (it is was before we loan Snodgrass - "currently" will big different story) which will prefect for hogan ALSO, I am thought Bruce can see team way we need playing proper football and will bring winning...but Hogan not stepping up for reason, possible because team not right balanced and bruce give up on him. 

then he start back to old style (revert long ball style), Hogan to started see as "Waste Money and limited skill for long ball" it is shame to see him in these solution.  

When Snodgrass sign and bruce decision back to 4-2-3-1 with passing style also finally he put team right set up, and balanced was right, Team to looking winning. These reason Hogan start score 5 games and 5 goals.

That Bad news for Hogan when Adomah and Grealish injuryed and Bruce back to Long ball style, Hogan is not working again and Grabban is grab the chance to replace and he can play Bruce style. (Same story as K.Davies) I am doubt that he will back to passing style, so looking like we stuck with Grabban and once Kodjia back to 100% fit that will end of Hogan career with under bruce regin.

only one way he will worth money is we stay 4-2-3-1 winning formation and selection which include Bjarnason in line-up along Snodgrass and Grealish, Adomah. (Bjarnason is also victim same problem as Hogan by Bruce errors decision). 

If Bruce is staying with us for next season (which i don't want see yet if he bring winning so we have to stuck with him even we don't like his selection and tactical) so one option for Hogan, he is one have to left the club to make room for other striker come to there, it is not Hogan fault it is Bruce as he one to brought him and not play his strength.

which the reason i am not blame him (Hogan) for these yet.

it is such sadness to see potential player come there (same to other club) and not playing in his football style. 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What about the 12 months before that?

Settling in period.. injuries.. not picked.. Grealish wasn't playing. Take your pick ;)

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

It's amazing , a few games without a goal, and the haters are back. No one does it Better than Villa supporters .

I don't hate him.

Just don't rate him.

I think he makes us less effective as a team over 90 minutes. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Risso said:

I'm trying to think of a previous player who has had quite so many excuses made for him, and am stuggling to think of anyone.

Berson, I would put Hogan a close second though 

15 hours ago, Czechlad said:

He will be sold in the summer if we go up. Nothing against Hogan, but he just doesn't suit Bruce's playing style at all. If we had Grealish fit from the start of the season, I think Hogan would have scored a lot more goals, but without Grealish, Hogan is a passenger in this team. 

That combined with not being good enough for the Premiership like half of our current squad arn't.

Â