Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

12 hours ago, omariqy said:

Would be tempted to start him with Davis next game. 

I agree if Jack and Albert arent back, let him feed off Davis.  I'm not a big fan of Davis, good kid and all that, nice touches but we need goals so him holding the ball up, flicks or lay offs for Hogan would work for me.  Not keen on Davis on his own.  Would be interested in seeing more of Grabban but dont know if Hogan and Grabban can play together because of the similar styles I've been told about.  Interested in others thoughts.

16 hours ago, villianusa said:

He has thrived because chances have been created for him, take that creativity out of the team he will struggle. If we are just got to lug the ball forward on Tuesday then I don't think he is the one who should start.

Not a bad point. However, the guy has finally come good and at home where we will create more we have to play him I think because he is our best fit striker. 

• Like 2

I really want it to work for Scott....but not sure it will.

He is not really the sort of player we need right now, he could be in time, when we have a better midfield, who can dominate the centre and feed the wings further up the pitch as opposed for us doing it too deep and running out of steam.

He doesn't trouble the opposing defenders enough, they seem untroubled by him, like a pesky fly.....not so certain its all his fault, just the way the team plays.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I think some are being a bit harsh.  I have been a critic of Hogan in the past, and he's now gone what 3 games without a goal after hitting 5 a few games ago?

He could have scored 2 on Saturday, had his finishing been more clinical and he hit the bar against Blues.  If 1 or 2 of those go in, he's not as bigger of a problem as a couple of people are making him out to be.  

They didn't go in, but I'd be much more worried if he'd returned to his early season form of not even getting into scoring positions, than missing shots where he IS in shooting positions. 

He's also putting pressure on their back 4.  His work rate lately has gone through the roof.  He doesn't get involved much in the build-up play, and that will restrict him in the PL, but for now, with the creativity we have at our disposal (bar Saturday), I think he'll bag a few more between now and the end of the season. 

Exactly. He had scored 5 in 5 before the Blues game. He was one of our better players against Blues and was unlucky not to score. At Fulham he was below par but so were the rest of the team. He obviously relies on his team to create for him unlike someone like Kodjia but he will score goals if we play like we have done over the last couple of months. His goals could be key in the run-in. 

• Like 2

I thought he played ok first half and even commented to my Dad how much more involved he was than when he was so out of confidence. 

Second half I think the loss of Elmo affected us more than people realise. Onomah coming on seems low on confidence, off the pace. In fairness he's never a wide player in a million years but Bruce seems to think he is. They made a fast start and got their goal. That put us on the back foot and the minute we went to 442 the midfield disappeared and Hogan went back to being completely isolated. He should definitely have done better with the chance from Bjarnasson cross but to be honest I think he was that surprised to receive the ball he just snatched at it. 

I'm still pro Scott hopefully Jack will be back for this evening. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I think some are being a bit harsh.  I have been a critic of Hogan in the past, and he's now gone what 3 games without a goal after hitting 5 a few games ago?

He could have scored 2 on Saturday, had his finishing been more clinical and he hit the bar against Blues.  If 1 or 2 of those go in, he's not as bigger of a problem as a couple of people are making him out to be.  

They didn't go in, but I'd be much more worried if he'd returned to his early season form of not even getting into scoring positions, than missing shots where he IS in shooting positions. 

He's also putting pressure on their back 4.  His work rate lately has gone through the roof.  He doesn't get involved much in the build-up play, and that will restrict him in the PL, but for now, with the creativity we have at our disposal (bar Saturday), I think he'll bag a few more between now and the end of the season. 

This, crazy that it's gone unnoticed by some, he is a nuisance, and he is quick.

He is not a BIG striker, so expecting him to feed off of long balls is unrealistic.

He is also no Kodjia, he can't create chances out of nothing, more of a poacher than anything.

We are too quick to jump on people here. It's not a coincidence that without creativity in the team he starves.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was a pest against Blue. How was he v Fulham? Damn I hate missing games. I think the Fulham game is the one one I missed all season. 

Tbh hardly in the game. The whole team was a mess in the 2nd half. 

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I would keep him in really as he has been effective of late.

If he is not producing the goods come say 60/70 mins then we replace for Grabban.

I think he will be on the scoresheet tonight.

Totally this .

He’s not great but he’s nothing without a positive, creative midfield.

We simply didn’t have enough players on the pitch who could be classed as actual footballers.

When we do, he will be fine.

The one decent ball he got, off Snodgrass, he came close.

Â