Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

What about the fact he played every game (I think) in our great run of form before our dip?

You are correct he had played but lately I have noticed more and more mistakes from him and simple basic ones like bad passing.

I think the way we have got the ball forward in last couple of games has been alot better. I dont like the way whelan plays his passes. its far too negative passing away from goal. 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

His distribution is absolutely fine - he makes 80% of his passes and just tends to play it short and simple. It's a very odd criticism IMO. 

He's given a couple of goals away directly down to his distribution. When he **** up he really **** up. Other than that, he's fairly shite, a totally uninspiring player who contributes little.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I would say Whelan is not bad at winning the ball but his distribution and decision making are absolutely woeful. He has made so many suicide mistakes in games. Some we were lucky we did not get punished for. 

I think Whelan is a complete liability and I would sell him now if a good offer came in

You do realise we need more than the 11 players on the pitch. You talk of selling a lot of our players. Yet we are going to need a squad, for the run in and potentially  (hopefully) the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You do realise we need more than the 11 players on the pitch. You talk of selling a lot of our players. Yet we are going to need a squad, for the run in and potentially  (hopefully) the playoffs. 

Whelan and Thor are two players not exactly half the squad!

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You mean the two who have played a combined total of less than 5 games? 4 players isnt exactly a huge turnover is it? 

No you're right. Whelan is probably the only one I completely disagree on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

No you're right. Whelan is probably the only one I completely disagree on.

Fair enough. Whelan for me is a good option to have if your trying to defend a lead for last twenty minutes. Starter? Not for me. He just makes too many mistakes for me and I hate the way he passes the ball back to goal constantly

• Like 2

He's an alright squad player.  Good for when we need energy off the bench and he does make gut-buster runs and gets into ok positions.  I wouldn't lose sleep over him leaving, but he isn't as dire as some are making out.  

I wouldn't fancy him in the PL to be honest.  His lack of technique would get shown up, and we've got good experience of endeavour not being enough in the PL.  

Should we make it up! 

Meh he has been okay. I would not be happy if he left and no replacement come in and he can fill a variety of positions in a 6/10 sort of way. For now I would keep, probably let go in the summer.  I don't think Bruce really trusts him which is strange as he was bigging him up in the pre season camp in the summer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Meh he has been okay. I would not be happy if he left and no replacement come in and he can fill a variety of positions in a 6/10 sort of way. For now I would keep, probably let go in the summer.  I don't think Bruce really trusts him which is strange as he was bigging him up in the pre season camp in the summer.

I couldn’t disagree more with this to be honest. He’s looked pretty poor in every game he’s played except for Bristol City when we’d already won the game by the time he came on.

In fact I’d suggest he’s one of the few players we could get rid of and not need to worry about replacing. He wouldn’t be second choice in any position and hasn’t done anything to suggest he’s a better option than the kids in the under 23s.

I genuinely think he may be one of the worst players I’ve seen play for Villa. Tries hard but is so technically poor it’s unbelievable. 

Â