Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

I posted after the Peterborough game that I thought his mobility would mean he could be a better CDM option than Whelan and got ridiculed by some for suggesting it......

Edited by Robbie09
  • Like 2

I haven't been a huge fan, but after showing yesterday an ability to play at DM, and with Whelan and Jedinak both being the wrong side of 30, i see little to no value in selling him for what would be a paltry sum until the summer. 

5 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

I posted after the Peterborough game that I thought his mobility would mean he could be a better CDM option than Whelan and got ridiculed by some for suggesting it......

That's hardly conclusive evidence that he's a better CDM option than Whelan, though. 45 minutes, both contributed the same defensively, Whelan arguably having it harder because Forest were pushing us a hell of a lot in the first half, they seemed a lot less energetic and committed in the 2nd. 

In any case, Birkir did well and that's good for us - it'll be interesting to see if we sell him or not. 

• Like 2

Finally more and more people are beginning to admit Birkir can do something.  Snodgrass, Grealish and Birkir were best against Forest.  Why was Birkir performing better now than before?  Two reason, firstly he got 45 minutes not just shitty 5 or 15 minutes.  Secondly it is pretty clear he is leaving the club.  He needs to play more as preparation for World Cup.

Birkir played safe against Forest.  But he is not DM he should play more attacking.  In this forum some people are maintaining that Birkir might be good for Seria A team but not for Aston Villa.  Does someone believes that second division in England is better and more difficult than first division in Italy?  If AV wants to be one of the best team, as we all hope, the manager has to realize that Birkir is definately key player for PL.  How many Villa players have experience at national level, have played in final tournament for his national team, are experience at top level teams and have been national champion, in addition have also great Champion League experience?

If AV will promoted, Birkir is definately one of the key players for Aston Villa.  I hope Steve Bruce will open his eyes.  I hope SB shows us that he can substitute at half time, like last game, but will not behave like a robot and stop to make automatic changes in 65 minutes or after 80 minutes.

June 27th 2016, Birkir was rated 3 by footballmagazine Kicker, But Rooney, Kane, Sterling got 5 (one is best, five is worst) and Sturridge 4.  Why was Birkir underestimated by Steve Bruce?  And why are many people surprised he showed something at English Chamiponship League level, finally he got some minutes to play?

Some people will say, that was two years ago.  I will reply, what about the national game against Turkey?  Then some people will still stay, small countries have another atmosphere and players play with the heart.  I will replay, why in hell can SB not create such atmosphere that players believe in the club and play with the heart?  That is every managers main task to motivate players.

UTV.  I wish all of you, happy new Aston Villa year.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

It's hardly surprising when, in every appearance before that, he's looked absolute shite.

Fair play to him for a good 45 minutes on the weekend. But I remain far from convinced that that proves he's a good player. The evidence for the contrary far outweighs it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reykjavik said:

Finally more and more people are beginning to admit Birkir can do something.  Snodgrass, Grealish and Birkir were best against Forest.  Why was Birkir performing better now than before?  Two reason, firstly he got 45 minutes not just shitty 5 or 15 minutes.  Secondly it is pretty clear he is leaving the club.  He needs to play more as preparation for World Cup.

Birkir played safe against Forest.  But he is not DM he should play more attacking.  In this forum some people are maintaining that Birkir might be good for Seria A team but not for Aston Villa.  Does someone believes that second division in England is better and more difficult than first division in Italy?  If AV wants to be one of the best team, as we all hope, the manager has to realize that Birkir is definately key player for PL.  How many Villa players have experience at national level, have played in final tournament for his national team, are experience at top level teams and have been national champion, in addition have also great Champion League experience?

If AV will promoted, Birkir is definately one of the key players for Aston Villa.  I hope Steve Bruce will open his eyes.  I hope SB shows us that he can substitute at half time, like last game, but will not behave like a robot and stop to make automatic changes in 65 minutes or after 80 minutes.

June 27th 2016, Birkir was rated 3 by footballmagazine Kicker, But Rooney, Kane, Sterling got 5 (one is best, five is worst) and Sturridge 4.  Why was Birkir underestimated by Steve Bruce?  And why are many people surprised he showed something at English Chamiponship League level, finally he got some minutes to play?

Some people will say, that was two years ago.  I will reply, what about the national game against Turkey?  Then some people will still stay, small countries have another atmosphere and players play with the heart.  I will replay, why in hell can SB not create such atmosphere that players believe in the club and play with the heart?  That is every managers main task to motivate players.

He's not a key player.

Fair enough he played well on the weekend. But as said above, in the 12 months prior to that he has been dreadful.

If he plays like he did on Saturday for the rest of the season then I'm sure he'll contribute more. But he won't be a key player. He'll be straight out of the team once Jedinak returns.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, reykjavik said:

Who should he replace on the attacking end?

Serie A is different to this league so for some players it will suit them more. 

He is certainly not a key player for the premier league, he would be westwood level abysmal in midfield. 

The thing is though has he had a fair crack of the whip meaning getting a run of games to show what he can do?

He hasn’t imo, being given a few minutes here and there. Take Hogan for instance. Now starting games and scoring two in two.

I’ve also been saying for some time that Bjarnason should be given a chance to nail down the DM role as his own rather than Jedinak or Whelan. Much more mobile and bags more energy than both those players (who shouldn’t have been signed in the first place) and looks to pass forward rather than sideways or back.

I certainly think it would be a mistake to sell in January unless the lad from Manchester is coming in on loan to replace him?

12 minutes ago, striker said:

The thing is though has he had a fair crack of the whip meaning getting a run of games to show what he can do?

He hasn’t imo, being given a few minutes here and there. Take Hogan for instance. Now starting games and scoring two in two.

I’ve also been saying for some time that Bjarnason should be given a chance to nail down the DM role as his own rather than Jedinak or Whelan. Much more mobile and bags more energy than both those players (who shouldn’t have been signed in the first place) and looks to pass forward rather than sideways or back.

I certainly think it would be a mistake to sell in January unless the lad from Manchester is coming in on loan to replace him?

To get a run of games you need to show that you deserve it. You can't just play someone over and over again if they're shit.

Now he's finally put in a good performance he'll probably get another game and can turn it into a run.

• Like 1

Â