Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

I think there are 2 reasons why Thor hasnt been good for us (yet?)

1 - he's probably/more than likely, not very good

2 - a problem that has been apparent in our managers since MoN is that players are not always played to their strengths, no-one has put even the basic of basic "jigsaw-puzzle" team together. Therefore very few can shine. Thor is a victim of this mis-match of set-ups/style/tactics/plan A/B/C........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

How does playing well for Iceland help us? His performances in a villa shirt have been abysmal. 

It doesn't I'm just saying there could still be a player there. We all wrote Johnson off. He came good. Many wrote Petrov off, he came good. 

Maybe there is still hope for me. 

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

2 - a problem that has been apparent in our managers since MoN is that players are not always played to their strengths, no-one has put even the basic of basic "jigsaw-puzzle" team together. Therefore very few can shine. Thor is a victim of this mis-match of set-ups/style/tactics/plan A/B/C........

Or 3 his confidence has turned to shit when playing for us. I think his problems are mental.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Or 3 his confidence has turned to shit when playing for us. I think his problems are mental.

Well it's happened to a number of players

Bertand Tish Cleverley Lansbury too off the top of my head.

Started good/ok/promising -> went to shit -> never recovered........

Looking at the whole theme of "players performing for us" there is evidence that AVFC has not reaped rewards from many players. That can be a case of

1 - bad management

2 - bad recruiting

3 - bad players

Well our management has not got much out of Thor, so was it bad recruitment? or is he another "Bad player the Scouts recruited who the manager cant get anything out of" ?

Calling a spade a spade - what's the use of a player when he cant function for us? even if he does/can for another team?

Iceland and Birkir will be going to the World Cup bar a miracle in the last game against Kosovo.

Pretty amazing that Iceland wins that group. The Euro's wasn't a one off.

The investment in pro trainers at youth level and building loads of new pitches they did in the early 2000 is really paying off

• Like 2

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

If you can't perform under pressure you have no business being a professional footballer. 

Championship is still a higher level than most international qualifiers as we see with England walking through qualification groups getting everyone exited until they come up against any quarter decent international team then get shown up. 

He played well at Euro 2016.

From what I've seen don't think the physically of the championship suits him. He was shying out of a few 50/50s in games I've seen him play.

On 07/10/2017 at 10:26, Grasshopper said:

I don't disagree with point 2.

But players do have to show an ounce of competence. Thor has looked like a competition winner playing for Villa. He's been played all over the park and he's look shocking everywhere.

I don't know how he performs for Iceland as I rarely watch them. But for Villa he is utterly useless.

I've followed Birkir closely, both with Iceland and of course with Villa. He's a completely different player for Villa and Iceland. There is not denying that he has looked, IMO, terrible for Villa in 70-80% of his performances for the club. To me he looks low in confidence, scared and like a player who doesn't have the ability to play in the Championship.

With Iceland he's been a key player for a few years but there he has a certain job and the Iceland team is like a well drilled machine. The team is much better than the sum of its parts.

He has ability, although I don't blame you if you don't believe that, but I seriously doubt he'll show any decent form at Villa. Would be best for both parties if he finds another club in January or next summer, barring something extraordinary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

What i notice with Iceland they play 2 big strikers and his job is follow any 2nd balls in or around the box

We also play two big strikers and Adomah essentially does that same role. Adomah also makes good runs. 

• Like 1

On 06/10/2017 at 22:16, Vive_La_Villa said:

I find it amazing how so many fans seem to be a convinced a player is crap based on their appearances with Villa regardless of what they do for other clubs or teams. 

Yes he had been s**t for us. Does that have to mean he is a s**t player and can never come good?

edit: amazing how a player can perform when there's no pressure.

It's not that he plays crap as players adapt at different rates but he looks awful at the basics. He comes on and looks lost. No composure no technique can't pass now I know he's an international so he must be able to do this but watching him in a Villa shirt you'd think we signed him from a pub team. I think playing in tournaments like the Euros and going to places like Turkey in crunch games is pressure enough for him to be able to handle playing for Villa.  I've no idea if he'll come good but at the minute I wouldn't want to rely on him coming off the bench when we need a performance. 

I think given a run he would score a few goals, he has that in his locker, but yes, since day one he has looked pretty rank on the ball. His touch always looks heavy and he doesn't get the ball out of his feet and his pass 2 yards behind a player. Everything has always looked sluggish and an unnecessary struggle.

I don't think he will stay around long to not play in the Championship but good news is he has held his place for Iceland and they are doing well, so I can see him retaining his value and securing a move.

• Like 1

It's not beyond the realms that he might not have settled in Birmingham yet, he might be living out of a suitcase in a hotel or something or might not have bonded with the group.

I think Bruce has found his first 11 now and anyone else will be used as stand in.

13 hours ago, screwdriver said:

It's not beyond the realms that he might not have settled in Birmingham yet, he might be living out of a suitcase in a hotel or something or might not have bonded with the group.

I think Bruce has found his first 11 now and anyone else will be used as stand in.

Isn't he played totally out of his natural position here?

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't he played totally out of his natural position here?

He's been played in a number of positions here and he's looked absolute toilet in all of them

Â