Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think Jedinak has the shirt, because although he also can't pass and lacks mobility, he is the biggest.

Agreed. What a terrible state to be in. 

4 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

He’s a better CDM option than Whelan - as limited as Whelan with the ball but a little more mobile.

This is the On Topic section of VillaTalk.

Yet THIS is the most ludicrous post I've seen in ages.

He is nowhere near as good as Whelan. And Whelan isn't very good.

Aston Villa flop’s agent in Italy ahead of potential Serie A move

ASTON VILLA flop Birkir Bjarnason could be heading to Italy before the January transfer window closes.

By ALEX HARRIS

PUBLISHED: 11:51, Thu, Jan 11, 2018 | UPDATED: 11:52, Thu, Jan 11, 2018

Aston Villa flop Birkir Bjarnason has been linked with a move to SPAL

Iceland international midfielder Bjarnason arrived at Villa Park from FC Basel last January but has failed to nail down a regular place in Steve Bruce’s starting XI.

The 29-year-old has been linked with a move to Serie A strugglers SPAL.

And, according to TuttoMercatoWeb, Bjarnason’s agent Jim Solbakken is in Italy.

Bjarnason has previous experience of playing in Italy with Pescara and Sampdoria and it’s claimed a return to the country is on the cards. 

He arrived at Villa after impressing for Iceland at Euro 2016 but has managed just seven Championship starts in a year. 

Solbakken has previously indicated that Bjarnason fancies a move back to Italy.

“Birkir would like to return to Serie A,” he said. “He was very good in Italy and would like to play again in the Italian league, but he is totally focused on Aston Villa.

“The club is fighting to get back in the Premier League and his only thought is to do well with his club's shirt.

“We'll see what happens.”

BYEnasson

Looks like first player sold in january. Dont have that many complaints to be honest. Has been pretty poor most times I have seen him. 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2018 at 18:45, lexicon said:

He really, really, really, really, REALLY isn't a better CDM option that Whelan. 

Really. 

Really?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I honestly can't remember watching Whelan have an abysmal game. He's had games where he has made a bad mistake but most of the time he's been dependable and pretty nondescript, which is fine for a CDM. A lot of the criticism that is levelled at him, such as 'he gives the ball away loads' is just nonsense. 

Pretty much my view.

I do think he has had a couple of games where he has been really bad. Mainly his first few for the club and one or two in recent times.

But in general he's been average to good. There was a good streak of games there in the back end of last year where he was consistently amongst the best players on the pitch. Didn't he get two or three MOTM awards? He definitely got it for the derby with Blues and the game after.

Anyway, regardless, the argument that BB is a better option than Whelan is frankly ludicrous.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I honestly can't remember watching Whelan have an abysmal game. He's had games where he has made a bad mistake but most of the time he's been dependable and pretty nondescript, which is fine for a CDM. A lot of the criticism that is levelled at him, such as 'he gives the ball away loads' is just nonsense. 

I would say Whelan is not bad at winning the ball but his distribution and decision making are absolutely woeful. He has made so many suicide mistakes in games. Some we were lucky we did not get punished for. 

I think Whelan is a complete liability and I would sell him now if a good offer came in

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would say Whelan is not bad at winning the ball but his distribution and decision making are absolutely woeful. He has made so many suicide mistakes in games. Some we were lucky we did not get punished for. 

I think Whelan is a complete liability and I would sell him now if a good offer came in

His distribution is absolutely fine - he makes 80% of his passes and just tends to play it short and simple. It's a very odd criticism IMO. 

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

His distribution is absolutely fine - he makes 80% of his passes and just tends to play it short and simple. It's a very odd criticism IMO. 

Its not really odd when he has it im his locker to do one fatal bad pass that costs us the game.

Whelans shite. No suprise we havw done better without him in the team.  For me whelan is  player you bring in to a protect a lead not a starter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I honestly can't remember watching Whelan have an abysmal game. He's had games where he has made a bad mistake but most of the time he's been dependable and pretty nondescript, which is fine for a CDM.

You must have missed them games perhaps?

For me, at this level of football he is woeful in terms of a CDM imo.

Anyway, all the best to BB if/when he leaves. Sadly it has just not happened for him here regardless of individual criticisms.

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The last league game we lost 2-1 when he was subbed off

He didnt play in either of the two next league games.

W 2 D 0 L 0 

Scored 6 conceded 0 

What about the fact he played every game (I think) in our great run of form before our dip?

We've done better without him in the team than we did in the last game he played in.

But he has been a part of the team when we have played very well and got very good results. Seems unfair to compare one of our worst games with one of our best.

Edited by Stevo985

Â