Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

He improved when pushed further up, go figure. Why on earth was he played at LB?

Apparently Amavi was initially set to play tonight, but was pulled off last minute due to his forthcoming move. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

He works hard, he's comfortable passing it round... but he is absolutely not a left back. 

I imagine this may have been some sort of test to see what backup we have for Taylor when Amavi goes. Basically, not Thor please. Play him higher up. 

Yep...so we definitely need a new LB.  

Feel sorry for Thor.  Would like him to get a run in a consistent position as I'm sure there's a player there, but Bruce seems to see him as a bits and pieces utility player and that never works for a player.

• Like 1

It is a bit harsh because he has never has barely had a kick in his natural position, but saying that when I watch him anywhere on the pitch he just doesn't strike me as much of a footballer. Everything looks a bit too awkward, a bit too heavy or a bit too underhit atm.

On 1/25/2017 at 14:36, Czechlad said:

Sorry, but I am a little worried. It seems he is a very frustrating player and that is in the Swiss league. I am not sure if he can do a job for us. I am reading numerous poor reviews of him. 

On 1/25/2017 at 13:52, Czechlad said:

Another fan's input on Bjarnason from a month ago before they played Arsenal:

" Utter rubbish since the Euro. Wish we would have sold him in August. Yes he's a regular, but shouldn't be, everybody seems to agree about it. He might just be tired, after all he hardly had a break since the last winter break. Missed a 100% chance on the weekend at 0-1, the counter after the chance led to the 0-2 (the opposition was down to 10 players too). There is no reason for him to play tomorrow, if he's starts ahead of Elyounoussi I won't understand the world. "

On 1/25/2017 at 13:22, Czechlad said:

Basel fans opinion on him from a few months ago:

" As a Basel-Fan I have to tell you that he actually shoudn't be anywhere near our starting XI. He was dreadful the last like 6-7 months (apart from the EUROS).
He plays so bad, can't dribble but still is very egoistic but still SOMEHOW manages to score. I can't believe Fischer benches Elyounoussi and lets Boetius at home for this prick. "

When we signed Birkir, I went on Basel message boards and found some info about Birkir. I passed this info off to us here, and I was greeted with a lot of negative responses specifically by @Zatman , but also quite a few other people. 

I was trying to say Birkir did not seem like a good signing for us and would essentially be a Bacuna type player, but no. A lot of people ganged up on me saying Birkir can score because he had one good season in his career. I cited numerous fans' opinions of Birkir, but was ignored. 

Birkir is simply a hard working midfielder, but talent wise he had no place in the team. If we need a guy to come on when we have a lead and hold that lead, Birkir is a decent option, but expecting him to be a goal scorer even in the championship just won't happen. I said this in January. Look where we are now. 

• Like 1

Clearly he is not a left back and I thought he instantly looked much better when he was pushed further forward. He looked the best he has for us when he played as an attacking mid against Rotherham in the game he got injured.

I am not sure he is good enough to hold down a place in any position but in any squad you need players who are versatile and I think, given he only came at the end of January then got ruled out for the season in early March, it is way too early to be writing him off here.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I think it is vey harsh t judge his ability to date based on his performances in the amount of positions he has had been asked to perform. A different position every other match isn't imo a fair representation to judge him on and his his abilities to perform. Give him a consecutive run of games in his favoured position then we can truly judge his potential or suitability. Just my thoughts before I write him off. He has looked like he could be a useful player when played to his strengths. I also get with amavi being withdrawn at late notice why Bruce stated him at LB. hopefully he will get a chance to shine/ perform given a stable starting position. Then I will judge him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Czechlad said:

When we signed Birkir, I went on Basel message boards and found some info about Birkir. I passed this info off to us here, and I was greeted with a lot of negative responses specifically by @Zatman , but also quite a few other people. 

I was trying to say Birkir did not seem like a good signing for us and would essentially be a Bacuna type player, but no. A lot of people ganged up on me saying Birkir can score because he had one good season in his career. I cited numerous fans' opinions of Birkir, but was ignored. 

Birkir is simply a hard working midfielder, but talent wise he had no place in the team. If we need a guy to come on when we have a lead and hold that lead, Birkir is a decent option, but expecting him to be a goal scorer even in the championship just won't happen. I said this in January. Look where we are now. 

I'm slightly struggling to reconcile this post with your latest post in the Samba thread. 

Agreed. I had high hopes. I know Basel are hardly AC Milan or Real Madrid but I was excited when we signed him. 

This reason is this, genuinely ,

before we we were even linked , I thought fk me this Iceland team have some balls, some ability and don't seem to give a fk who they are playing they seem impetuous. 

Then,

as above, this lad sticks out. Goes and gets one against Portugal or whoever and plays well overall in Euros. Then , we go and sign him. 

Then , typically we turn him sh-- somehow. And yeah yeah some people might say he was sh to begin with , but fk me is frustrating. 

Personally I wish this lad well. He's 28/29 allegedly in his prime, hadn't come here to sit on the bench, probably works his ass off in training.

Might not be considered a first XI'er but , when given the chance I hope he excels as personally I don't think we have ever sussed out how best to use him. Like a weapon we forgot to take "the safety off". Good luck Birker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm slightly struggling to reconcile this post with your latest post in the Samba thread. 

My point was Birkir was never going to be our starting winger or the guy we needed him to be, but the fans expected that. Birkir also never really gave off the impression he could work for us in his limited appearances. I have nothing against Birkir. I think he is actually an improvement on Bacuna. He is a likable guy, and works hard. My only point was Birkir was going to be nothing more than a rotation guy for us. 

Â